A Book

You know, whatever

Moderators: Almighty Benny, Blitzen, Silent-sigfig

A Book

Postby IX_Legion » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:03 pm

So, I don't know how many people here read fantasy, but here's one I recommend. It's called The Ten Thousand, by Paul Kearney, and there's a sequal called Corvus. I don't know if there will be a third one.

So anyway, it is fantasy, but it's not another Tolkien copy. Don't get me wrong, I loved LotR, but everyone uses the basic species, settings, etc he came up with (I'm guilty myself). This one is different for a change. There are the Macht, who are humans and very much like the ancient Greeks: bronze weapons and armor, Greek-style helms, fight with spears in phalanxes, lots of city-states fighting amongst themselves, etc. Then there are the Kufr, which encompasses a wide variety of races who are not Macht. The dominant race among the Kufr are the Kefren who are humanoid, but taller, with longer, drawn-out faces, gold colored skin, and wierd color eyes. They rule over a wide variety of other races in a manner similar to the ancient Persian empire.

Anyway, this is really a different kind of fantasy, and I really think people here would like it. The fighting is brutal and bloody: just the way Brikwarriors should enjoy :twisted:
This should be in the Rulebook somewhere:

"Any problem on earth can be solved with the careful application of high explosives"
-Valkyrie (the movie)
IX_Legion
Minifig

Re: A Book

Postby Ham701 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:00 pm

Tolkien came up with the basic species? Nope nope nope, Norse Mythology.
stubby wrote: my floppy penis gets first dibs on it for tradition's sake, but it doesn't seem likely that he'll want to stick around long enough to play.

Ham701
Galidor

Postby IX_Legion » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:02 pm

Well, yes, he borrowed from several mythologies actually. But he was teh first to put them all together and make them how we see them today. For example, elves in Norse mythology were not the tall, elegant, bow weilding warriors Tolkien made them into.
This should be in the Rulebook somewhere:

"Any problem on earth can be solved with the careful application of high explosives"
-Valkyrie (the movie)
IX_Legion
Minifig

Postby Ben-Jammin » Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:07 pm

Norse Mythology.

This alone is a :ftw:
Ben-Jammin
My Little Pony

Return to General Discussion