Radar and Radios

Supplement ideas, house rules, homemade stat cards, homebrew weapon types, and other cool variations

Moderators: warman45, Rev. Sylvanus

Robot Monkey
My Little Pony

Radar and Radios

Post by Robot Monkey » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:23 pm

Radar

5CP

Any vehicle/creation with an indication of radar, (printed bricks, radar dishes, etc) is treated as if it has a 360-degree view, as apposed to a cone. When it is spotting anything outside of it's regular cone of vision, roll 1d6.

1-2: Failure, target is not spotted.
3-6: Success, target is spotted.

Radar has -1 to spot when it is trying to spot minifigs/creations with stealth as an ability.

Radio communication

Any minifig with a radio backpack/radio piece can communicate with other minifigs/creations with methods of radio communication. (I.E., A minifig with a radio in hand communicates with an artillery team, calling in an artillery strike) Handheld radios have a range of 12", and vehicle/ground-based radios have a range of 24"

---Radio interceptors

5CP

Radio interceptors look like your average radio box, but they can hear the enemy's radio transmissions, giving them a chance to contact their comrades and warn them if they are about to get bombed or something. If the intercept is successful and it is sent to the person in danger, they get half their regular move OR one action in an attempt to save themselves. Radio interceptors have a range of 24".

In order to intercept a communication, roll 1d6.
1-2: Failure, it does not intercept the transmission.
3-6: Success, it does intercept the transmission.

Radio interceptors cannot be carried by minifigs, so they can only be ground-based or vehicle-mounted.

---Radio relays
4CP

Let's say you want your unit to contact another unit outside of its radio's range. This is when radio relays come in. If a relay is within or within 1" of a radio's range, it can bounce a signal 24" to the intended receiver or another relay unit. However, every time a radio communication is relayed, interceptors get +1 to their rolls.

(Alternately, say if you have a futuristic/medieval army, they could be communicators, or drummer boys, telepathy, etc.)

So what do you guys think?
Last edited by Robot Monkey on Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Silverdream
Nice use of noise

Post by Silverdream » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:43 pm

I don't see how Radio communication would be useful.

Also drummer boys could be added as a method of communication.
This sig is too fucking large: show anyway
Image lol j/k

Robot Monkey
My Little Pony

Post by Robot Monkey » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:44 am

Silverdream wrote:I don't see how Radio communication would be useful.

Also drummer boys could be added as a method of communication.
Well, I think radio communication would be useful because it would allow your army to communicate with each other, as apposed to magically knowing what everyone else is going to do. I think this would add a new level of challenge and strategy to brikwars.

Silent-sigfig
can you feel me?

Post by Silent-sigfig » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:29 pm

Standard Scanner:

(Cs=Construction size, or the size of the scanner in individual parts).

COST: CsX2
Use: CsX2
Range: CsX6
Notes: Scans in an arc. Arc size(in fingercones)is equal to Cs.

A standard scanner scans where it is pointed for any enemy unit, of any type. If it is successfully spotted, a 1d6 bonus is added to the skill roll of any attackers with immediate access to the scanner(for example, if one ships radar picks up an enemy fighter, only that ship receives bonuses.

(examples or a standard scanner include radar, sonar, and motion sensors.)

Specialized scanners work the exact same way, except they only work on one specified type of target. however, they add a 1d10 bonus.

Examples include (metal detectors, searching for waldo, and gaydar.)
BFenix wrote:
Silent-sigfig wrote: :dog:
Coolest 1000th post ever :D

HAL-9001
Officer

Post by HAL-9001 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:28 am

I have an aversion to over-complication, so I just grant the Tracking (+1 CP) ability to vehicles with Scanners. Operators (and allies) automatically get a warning when a Stealthy unit crosses the Scanner's field of vision (90-degree cone from the Scanner's point of view), and the Operator can spend an Action to Mark any target within 8" (in that zone) for themselves or their allies. Moving the Scanner is like operating a Vehicle -- costs an Action for most minifigs, none for a Pilot.
Heuristic ALgorithmic AFOL.
T6281: Solar Federation (Rules T6588)
T6777: Dungan Swarm
T6783: Space Pirates
T7349: BrikWars Vehicle Datasheet
T7402: Imperium Constructor

Legofighter
Officer

Re: Radar and Radios

Post by Legofighter » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:22 pm

Me im using like this: the units/vehicles that have a radio piece can give orders(champion to hero to officier and so)/ send a message/talk to allies/enemies out of sight/out of voice range (let's say 10-30", depending on the environnement(or if you are inside a tank/building/spaceship, you can speak to those outside or on another vehicle

Radar let's any unit that posseses one to see everything(ex: 1 tank against normal troopers) or all the other vehicles that have one(tank vs. tank, plane vs. plane)
:sbr: :godwin:
From the frigid cold of Canada, -40 year long.

Legofighter
Officer

Post by Legofighter » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:25 pm

and if you have a radar, SCANNERS DON'T HAVE ANY FUCKING USE! :csi:
From the frigid cold of Canada, -40 year long.

Robot Monkey
My Little Pony

Post by Robot Monkey » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:12 pm

Despite the blatant necroposting that just happened, I actually have tested these rules and they work very well.

Gungnir
Jaw-Jaw

Post by Gungnir » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:07 am

I like the idea of two units with radios being able to interact with enemy units as if they could see each other. For example, an artillery strike takes a penalty against a target because they don't have line of sight. But if another unit radios them up, they don't take the penalty anymore because they know where the enemy is.
BrikThulhu eats 1d6 minifigs each turn.

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Post by stubby » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:57 am

Gungnir wrote:I like the idea of two units with radios being able to interact with enemy units as if they could see each other. For example, an artillery strike takes a penalty against a target because they don't have line of sight. But if another unit radios them up, they don't take the penalty anymore because they know where the enemy is.
Scouts already perform a pretty similar function; it wouldn't be hard to just rip off their ability.
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?

Robot Monkey
My Little Pony

Post by Robot Monkey » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:06 pm

But this way, anybody with a radio can have that function, but not all the advantages of a full-fledged scout minifig.

Keldoclock
My Little Pony

Post by Keldoclock » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:14 pm

So tack whatever the scout property is onto the radio, charge the same CP, and it works great! The fact you can swap it around is offset by the fact that the unit has to use one of its hands to hold the radio!
stubby wrote:omg noob, balrogs are maiars too, don't you know anything

OneEye589
Pooplord

Post by OneEye589 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:15 pm

He's saying rip it off, as give the scout ability to any minifig holding a radio.

Gungnir
Jaw-Jaw

Post by Gungnir » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:22 pm

Why not? Weapons got Heroic Egos in the 2010 rulebook.
BrikThulhu eats 1d6 minifigs each turn.

Robot Monkey
My Little Pony

Post by Robot Monkey » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:32 pm

I dunno, I just don't want people to trade old-fashioned scouts for radio sets. Maybe if someone has a radio backpack on they can get full scout rules.