Favorite Spacefaring Group?

You know, whatever

Moderators: Blitzen, Silent-sigfig, Almighty Benny

Re: Favorite Spacefaring Group?

Postby Pwnerade » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:11 pm

The Empire had a far greater military than the Rebellion, with their mass quantities of giant, powerful Star Destroyers. However, such things are only effective when used properly, and the Rebels were able outmaneuver them and exploit their weaknesses. Which is why I like them. They're like space guerillas.
An army marches on its stomach, and its favorite food is fudge.
Pwnerade
Playmobil

Postby RunsWithLegos » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:23 pm

Pwnerade wrote: space gorillas.

this is the only thing i got from that post. and it is awesome.
RunsWithLegos
Pooplord

Postby Ross_Varn » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:06 pm

mgb519 wrote:Don't try to pull this "expanded universe" bullshit on us, now...No one reads those things.

...wut. Don't make me come over there.
Ross_Varn
Blockguy

Postby Silverdream » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:59 pm

Ross_Varn wrote:
mgb519 wrote:Don't try to pull this "expanded universe" bullshit on us, now...No one reads those things.

Ross, the price of a few good novels is admitting that Episodes I-III exist. Just pretend your expanded universe books take place in an alternate universe that has no relation to the great star wars trilogy.

Spoiler: show
mgb519 wrote:Seriously, you are now the first ever forum superhero.

Colette wrote:I hereby acknowledge Silverdream as the one and only forum troll as agreed in the bet.

Quantumsurfer wrote:No, I have 2 silver.
Silverdream
Blockguy

Postby Whiteagle » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:11 pm

Silverdream wrote:
Ross_Varn wrote:

Ross, the price of a few good novels is admitting that Episodes I-III exist. Just pretend your expanded universe books take place in an alternate universe that has no relation to the great star wars trilogy.

Or you could just say that the Thrawn Trilogy canon overrides the Prequel Trilogy...
Whiteagle
Playmobil

Postby Silverdream » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:51 pm

Silverdream wrote:My wife for hire.

Also, the Tralfamadorians. Not only are they philosophically wiser and technologically advanced, but they end the universe.

Colette wrote:I hereby acknowledge Silverdream as the one and only forum troll as agreed in the bet.

Silverdream
Blockguy

Postby Ross_Varn » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:37 pm

Silverdream wrote:
Ross_Varn wrote:

I've already admitted it. Doesn't mean I like it.
Ross_Varn
Blockguy

Postby IX_Legion » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:43 pm

I would love to spend some time in the cockpit of an X-Wing...Still the most awesome Star Wars fighter, even with all the new TIE-Defender crap and such (even though the Defenders are cool).

Actually, for a space fighter, I'd like a Starfury. Earthforce is awesome!

Someone earlier this thread mentioned Drake's RCN. I agree, but I'd rather command a tank from his Hammer's Slammers series. Those things are just AMAZING--ground-effect hover vehicles, massive armor, AUTOMATED tribarrels that can shoot down ARTILLERY SHELLS WITHOUT THE CREW HAVING TO DO ANYTHING, and a two-freaking-hundred millimeter powergun as the main cannon. You can have all the combat cars in the regiment, give me a platoon of tanks and I'll be a happy man :D

The Imperial TIE fighter was meant as a short-range, fast fighter to operate with the heavy battlegroups (therefore no hyperdrive). The Star Destroyer was supposed to be the main combat force, and the TIEs were only an auxiliary arm. The rebel fighters, on the other hand, were fully capable of independent, long-range operations, and often (Yavin) had to attack high-value targets without any capital ship support whatsoever. (They may have had some, but not much. It's been a while since I saw the movies.) That, combined with the massive industrial base of the Empire, means the TIEs could afford to suck. (Oh look, an entire squadron (12) was just wiped out by two X-Wings. Ah well, in the time it took to lose them, an entire wing (72) was built in the factories.)
This should be in the Rulebook somewhere:

"Any problem on earth can be solved with the careful application of high explosives"
-Valkyrie (the movie)
IX_Legion
Minifig

Postby IX_Legion » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:34 pm

After a long, several hour search on stardestroyer.net, I have failed to find the page I was looking for. It basically gave plausible reasons for why the stormtroopers boarding Tantive IV and chasing Luke through teh Death Star may not have been actually trying to hit (because they needed live prisoners), and showing other instances of their accuracy. I have not found it. If anyone else knows what I'm talking about, post a link. If not, oh well. Either way, I'm tired and I'm not going to look any more tonight.

"Any problem on earth can be solved with the careful application of high explosives"
-Valkyrie (the movie)
IX_Legion
Minifig

Postby Silverdream » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:24 am

IX_Legion wrote:After a long, several hour search on stardestroyer.net, I have failed to find the page I was looking for. It basically gave plausible reasons for why the stormtroopers boarding Tantive IV and chasing Luke through teh Death Star may not have been actually trying to hit (because they needed live prisoners), and showing other instances of their accuracy. I have not found it. If anyone else knows what I'm talking about, post a link. If not, oh well. Either way, I'm tired and I'm not going to look any more tonight.

Cracked had an interesting theory on it.

http://www.cracked.com/article_18858_th ... ience.html

Silverdream
Blockguy

Postby Cakeman » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:21 pm

All the smugglers and adventurers, count as a faction? Like Han Solo, Mal reynolds etc. Identified by their habit to fly old weird-looking spaceships that need a lot of patching and tend to break down now and then, but can pull a few stunts new ships can't because of the perfect knowledge of the ship that it's captain possesses and all the tender care it recieves from it's crew of wacky individuals that can't get a job with a well-paying army/corporation but has worldclass skills in diverse areas. That's me :D
Cakeman
Minifig

Postby IX_Legion » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:54 pm

Silverdream wrote:
IX_Legion wrote:After a long, several hour search on stardestroyer.net, I have failed to find the page I was looking for. It basically gave plausible reasons for why the stormtroopers boarding Tantive IV and chasing Luke through teh Death Star may not have been actually trying to hit (because they needed live prisoners), and showing other instances of their accuracy. I have not found it. If anyone else knows what I'm talking about, post a link. If not, oh well. Either way, I'm tired and I'm not going to look any more tonight.

Cracked had an interesting theory on it.

http://www.cracked.com/article_18858_th ... ience.html

I looked at the article, clicked on a wookiepedia link there, and lo and behold, there was the exact link I was looking for:
http://stardestroyer.net/Empire/Tech/Ground/Misc-SW.html
It is near the top, under the "Grenades" section. Most of it is actually reasons why they did not use things like frag grenades more often, but it also talks about a) reasons the stormstoopers would have been ordered to miss and b) other examples (actually shown in the films, not just Obi-Wan's "more precise than sandpeople" remark) of stormtrooper accuracy.

-Valkyrie (the movie)
IX_Legion
Minifig

Previous

Return to General Discussion