Custom Hex Stands from Catspaw Customs

Creations, construction techniques, and news from the world of plastic toys

Moderators: Dr. X, ikensall, fredde

the enigma that is badger
Officer

Custom Hex Stands from Catspaw Customs

Post by the enigma that is badger » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:38 am

Some upcoming custom items that fans of brick tabletop gaming will likely find VERY interesting: two different Hex Stands designed and produced by Will Chapman

Here are some images of Hex Stand first articles (the technical name for parts injected as tests of a new production mold during its development):

There are two different versions: one with two center solid studs and another with an addition two open studs on one side. Here's a CAD image of the design for the 4 stud version:

The mold is still in development while Will works with his tooler to ensure all of the fits are up the high-quality standards builders know to expect from him. As such, there's no set release date yet, but they are definitely coming.

One important note: while these stands were designed by Will, they aren't planned as an official part of the BrickArms line-up. Rather, they'll be available from Catsy, a name anyone in minifig customization is likely to be familiar with, via a website devoted to brick gaming he currently has in development. As more information is available, I'll be sure to post it here!

EDIT: Changed title to reflect the Hex Stands are a Catspaw Customs product
Last edited by the enigma that is badger on Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Every day, once a day, give yourself a present. Don't plan it. Don't wait for it. Just let it happen."

morganm
Dimmy

Re: Custom Hex Stands from Will Chapman (BrickArms)

Post by morganm » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:18 am

Sweeeeeeeet :warhead:

RunsWithLegos
Official Duck
Official Duck

Post by RunsWithLegos » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:22 am

Awesome! Thanks badger!

Gungnir
Jaw-Jaw

Post by Gungnir » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:40 am

I'm definitely getting some of these as soon as I can.
BrikThulhu eats 1d6 minifigs each turn.

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Post by IVhorseman » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:29 am

Oh WOW that is cool! I especially like the one with the open studs for jamming various pips into to keep track of whatever stat! Color me impressed.

piltogg
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by piltogg » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:58 pm

do they fit on baseplates?

Officer

Post by the enigma that is badger » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:09 pm

piltogg wrote:do they fit on baseplates?
Unfortunately, I don't know! I do have two samples Will sent to me, but I don't have any baseplates to test them on as I recently moved overseas and didn't
have room for any LEGO!

I've asked Catsy, and as soon as I know for sure, I'll let you know.

That said, the bottom of both versions has two open studs, so if you're dead set on using either on a baseplate, the addition of a 1x1 round plate to the bottom should solve the issue.
Last edited by the enigma that is badger on Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Every day, once a day, give yourself a present. Don't plan it. Don't wait for it. Just let it happen."

Catsy
Battlefield General

Post by Catsy » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:28 pm

I'm afraid the Hex Stands cannot be connected directly to a baseplate--doing so would require stud notches cut into four of the sides the way many Lego wedge plates are designed. While this would expand their usability a bit as a part for building, I opted against this kind of design because it would look ugly while not affecting their usability on a 1" hex map.

Even if they had been designed this way, you would still be constrained by Lego geometry to the same 90 degree angles as the stud grid--defeating the functional purpose of a hexagonal stand.

A little background--I originally raised this idea with Will because for years I have played a homebrew GURPS variant with my friends where we use minifigs on the hex map for combat rather than traditional miniatures. Minifigs are endlessly versatile and can be assembled and reused on the fly without the need for paints or the other overhead associated with gaming miniatures. These stands are like a dream come true for us, and it's become obvious that there is a market for them beyond just our own needs.

Adapting BrikWars to a hex map would be trivially easy--everything in BW is measured in inches; translate this to "hexes" and you should be pretty much good to go.
IVhorseman wrote:Oh WOW that is cool! I especially like the one with the open studs for jamming various pips into to keep track of whatever stat! Color me impressed.
Thanks! That is exactly the purpose of those hollow studs. We started out just using a red tile there to indicate a player was at half-health, but the possibilities are endless. Health and power tokens, status markers, squad(ron) colors, or anything else you might want to have at a glance on the map. And of course for games that don't require any markers like that, or for showing off your minifigs, the two-stud version keeps things simple and clean.
Last edited by Catsy on Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Officer

Post by the enigma that is badger » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:37 pm

Thanks for the assist, Catsy! Brikwars players, you have your answer ;)

Keldoclock
My Little Pony

Post by Keldoclock » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:17 pm

I think, more than anything else, it is totally awesome that you guys care enough about your market that you come here and talk to us instead of just linking to your forums. The only part of those worth reading regularly is Will's Garage, which is just awesome to drool over, particularly all the russian gun prototypes.

My grandpappy had one a picture of himself holding one of these, unfortunately the photo (and probably the gun) is out in the high-quality-scanner-less wasteland of Ukraine.

Brickarms is the whole reason I started caring about Lego again :oops: .

EDIT: The Deus Ex gun is also totally saliva-worthy.
stubby wrote:omg noob, balrogs are maiars too, don't you know anything

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:13 pm

woah wait what, a Deus Ex gun? Maybe links ARE a good thing!

Catsy
Battlefield General

Post by Catsy » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:19 pm

IVhorseman wrote:woah wait what, a Deus Ex gun?
He's probably referring to the JFLR, which was indeed inspired in part by the Combat Rifle from DX:HR--specifically with the suppressor attachment.

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:52 pm

coooooool!

I ran through the forums and saw a lot of good ideas about weapon suggestions, namely the FAMAS, M8 Avenger, M65 smartgun and the Deus Ex crossbow. I'm incredibly impressed by my first brikarms order (and who knew that the apoc SMG was supposed to be a Bolter?), and will be ordering more soon. Thank you, and thank you G.I. Brick!

Catsy
Battlefield General

Post by Catsy » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:37 pm

Just shot this tonight; here's a usage example that's likely to speak much more directly to the crowd around here:

A typical party of fantasy adventurers faces off against the undead. The skeletons are using the basic 2S hex stand, while the adventurers are using the 4S version with the extra connection points for tokens and markers.

Pwnerade
Mega Blok

Post by Pwnerade » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:25 pm

Hmm, this is relevant to my interests.
An army marches on its stomach, and its favorite food is fudge.