DOOM roguelike

For all those games that happen to not be BrikWars

Moderators: Timedude, Olothontor

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

DOOM roguelike

Post by IVhorseman » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:09 pm

So I'm not sure why I haven't introduced you guys to this earlier, but I know plenty of you are fans of roguelikes and ultraviolence. Oftentimes, both! Anyways, this is one of the coolest roguelikes I've played now that it's in it's most recent stage. Multiple character classes, three act storyline, and more weapons than you can shake a stick at - including a couple warhammer weapons like chainswords and bolters!

Click here to access the page and download a roguelike based off of the game DOOM. Fight your way deeper and deeper into the phobos moon base, deimos, and even hell itself, facing horrible demons and zombies along the way and blowing them to pieces with your incredible weaponry! Good luck against the Cyber Demon and Spider Mastermind!

BFenix
Pooplord

Re: DOOM roguelike

Post by BFenix » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:29 pm

Definitely going to check it out.

I actually had the idea (a few years back) of making a Doom/Unreal inspired RPG based on the Brikwars combat system where "kill everything that moves" was the order of things.

Expectations are high.

Tzan
Has anyone ever used those holes before?
Has anyone ever used those holes before?

Post by Tzan » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:48 pm

Remind us again when the graphic version come out.

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:28 pm

Like literally this week or something ridiculously soon like that.
edit: JUST KIDDING IT'S NOW

Brikwars should already be played as if it were DOOM, complete with the music and missile launchers and everything!
Last edited by IVhorseman on Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BFenix
Pooplord

Post by BFenix » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:37 pm

This is hard! Even in the "Hey, not to rough" difficulty is tricky! (incoming :twss: or warhead smiley)

I'm going with your classic Marine with the Ironman trait (its tons of fun to read the traits description and pretty much any other comment here and there), yet, those health globes and packs are getting scarce.

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:16 pm

Yes, very. I've only beaten HNTR, and only once. Went marine with all the shotgun and pistol traits, since I found a bunch of rare pistols and modified the hell out of them.

Marines with son of a bitch and triggerhappy get access to ammochain, which is one of the best traits in the game!

BFenix
Pooplord

Post by BFenix » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:56 pm

Yeah, I'm finally managing to survive and getting my hands on the heavier weapons and power-ups. You also gotta pay attention to your Inventory. Pistols and the regular shotty get kinda useless when you find the Chaingun and the Combat Shotgun, right? Anyways, just the fact that there are no extra lives just makes it all even more tense. I never really enjoyed RL's, but I'm having <a href='http://tinyurl.com/y42zurt'>alot</a> of fun with this one!

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:53 pm

The Assemblies Page is also a must-have if you plan on going wizkid. It's worth it to remember how easy it is to get things like tactical boots, gatling guns, and even a chainsword if you missed The Chained Court's chainsaw.

BFenix
Pooplord

Post by BFenix » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:18 pm

That's an awesome addition to the game.

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:38 pm

how far do you generally get?

knolli
Dimmy

Post by knolli » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:42 pm

Got fried by the first Imp on the first underground level at normal difficulty. Didn't play since.
Ross_Varn wrote:Knolli is awesome.

BFenix
Pooplord

Post by BFenix » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:10 pm

IVhorseman wrote:how far do you generally get?
I'm on my longest run right now... Took a break at Level 7, which is simply this big room with a bloodied wall and demonic screams from the other side. Going further down...

Ironman LvL 2, Though as nails LvL 1 and Son of a bitch LvL 1

BFenix
Pooplord

Post by BFenix » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:04 pm

BFenix wrote:
IVhorseman wrote:how far do you generally get?
I'm on my longest run right now... Took a break at Level 7, which is simply this big room with a bloodied wall and demonic screams from the other side. Going further down...

Ironman LvL 2, Though as nails LvL 1 and Son of a bitch LvL 1
EDIT: I managed to reach Marine Level 5 and go down to Deimos, level 10. But then I got killed by a Baron... to express my rage, I made a meme.

I'm going to pussy out to the lower difficulty, although I'm afraid it wont be as challenging.

Any tips, IV?

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:13 am

Yeah, stay the FUCK away from The Wall, lmao. The Wall is a special level (as all of the red staircases are) which requires you to shoot rockets at the wall until you bust a hole in it, and THEN deal with the horde of Hell Knights and Barons of Hell that pour out. If you manage to make

Oftentimes in DOOM, your best option will be to fire rockets blindly into the darkness because you can hear the screams of the horror that awaits you. If you can get ahold of a tracking map, you get to know where all monsters are on the map without exploring any of it, and it's updated every turn. all projectiles (except the thrown knife) will continue past your vision until it hits something, or reaches the end of it's range (usually quite far, especially with rockets).

Shotguns are also great: they never miss, and deal damage to everything within a cone. Unfortunately, damage drops off as distance increases. The regular shotgun is still good (read: excellent) at shooting guys just out of your range of vision. The double shotgun does more damage and shoots twice, but it's cone is much shorter, and won't even damage things at the very edge of your vision. Fortunately, the cone is also really fat.

BFenix
Pooplord

Post by BFenix » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:51 pm

What about the Combat Shotgun? Is it as good as the regular one? Despite the obvious ammo capacity.