Real-life Warfare

You know, whatever

Moderators: Blitzen, Silent-sigfig, Almighty Benny

Real-life Warfare

Postby Xenoman » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:51 pm

What with Brikwars now being the #1 game I choose to play with others, followed closely by rpgs such as D&D, Pathfinder, etc., and the usually gaming console erratica, I've noticed something changing with my personal interests. I've become a lot more interested in the history of real-life warfare. For instance, recently I finished reading The American Heritage Picture History of World War II, and am currently watching the film Gettysburg (will finish it tonight after NCIS :)). I've also been watching a lot of World War II-themed documentaries on History, Discovery Channel, etc.

I'm just curious, has anyone else become more interested in this sort of thing as time wore on, or maybe even have it backwards (warfare interest led to Brikwars, for example)?

Back to my root beer...
TROLOLO
Xenoman
Hero

Re: Real-life Warfare

Postby Zupponn » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:11 pm

I've always been sort of a history nut, but that's just me.

And Gettysburg deserved an Academy Award imo. Jeff Daniels was amazing in the movie.
Zupponn
Lovable and funny
Lovable and funny

Postby Pwnerade » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:38 pm

My love of histroy, war and gaming have always been intertwined. Gettysburg is one of my favorite movies. I'm glad it was made before the days of everything being CGI. A few thousand real-life civil war reenactors is way cooler than any animated army, and makes the film seem much more real. It also made it easier for the production company. How many extras come with their own period costumes?
An army marches on its stomach, and its favorite food is fudge.
Pwnerade
Playmobil

Postby Silverdream » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:54 pm

World War One is where I take alot of inspiration for the Britannian League. It also gives them a brikwarsy attitude(War is full of glory, now all of you go charge the machine gun nests).

The Napoleonic War, the German War, Franco-Prussian war, World War One and some of World War two gave me inspiration for Bavaria.

The Silvarian Empire is inspired by both the actions of Canada in the 20th century, and Romania.

Spoiler: show
mgb519 wrote:Seriously, you are now the first ever forum superhero.

Colette wrote:I hereby acknowledge Silverdream as the one and only forum troll as agreed in the bet.

Quantumsurfer wrote:No, I have 2 silver.
Silverdream
Blockguy

Postby Swordsalmon » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:41 pm

I've always been interested in the history of war, but it's not very connected to Brikwars, as the latter is just a different kind of recreation.

After I enlisted, though, I've been far more interested in the military as a whole (obviously), but my enjoyment of war stuff has dwindled quite a bit.
Keldoclock wrote:Swordsalmon: Argues about the price of bits of plastic, yet happily forks over $1 for a quarter-sized bit of plastic that does nothing but look cool.
Swordsalmon
Dimmy

Postby IVhorseman » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:14 pm

Interest in the history of war led to building awesome vehicles out of LEGO which could theoretically wage war, and Brikwars was the stepping stone that let me connect those dots into full-blown brick warfare.

I personally find myself less interested in the facets of historical battles as my proclivity for brikwars increases, as no soldier in the assault on normandy was able to sprint all the way up the mountain and behind the german lines in the very first turn.
IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Postby Whiteagle » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:58 am

*Waits for Bragallot to give the speech.*
Whiteagle
Playmobil

Postby Zupponn » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:11 am

IVhorseman wrote:no soldier in the assault on normandy was able to sprint all the way up the mountain and behind the german lines in the very first turn.

I know it's not during Normandy, but have you read about Sgt. York?
Zupponn
Lovable and funny
Lovable and funny

Postby IVhorseman » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:13 pm

York's medal of honor citation wrote:After his platoon suffered heavy casualties and 3 other noncommissioned officers had become casualties, Cpl. York assumed command. Fearlessly leading 7 men, he charged with great daring a machine gun nest which was pouring deadly and incessant fire upon his platoon. In this heroic feat the machine gun nest was taken, together with 4 officers and 128 men and several guns.

:wtf:
IVhorseman

Postby Ben-Jammin » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:23 pm

I've always loved history, and warfare's history has been an especially interesting topic for me. I began playing miniatures and RPG games in 2004-2005, and I've always had legos since I was five. When I stumbled upon brikwars, two of my favorite things have been combined, and after looking at past real-life events and battles my love of brikwars has grown even more.

Although I prefer modern and sci-fi battles, I still enjoy medieval stuff too. I primarily based the Calvarian empire on a mixture of German and Soviet-style units, combined with a modern or sci-fi feel. The Kuragin Republic I generally based more on American designs, but I could see a variety of other concepts at work with them. I haven't placed nearly as much emphasis on the Kuragin guys as I have the Calvarians.
Ben-Jammin
My Little Pony

Postby Zupponn » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:58 pm

IVhorseman wrote:
York's medal of honor citation wrote:After his platoon suffered heavy casualties and 3 other noncommissioned officers had become casualties, Cpl. York assumed command. Fearlessly leading 7 men, he charged with great daring a machine gun nest which was pouring deadly and incessant fire upon his platoon. In this heroic feat the machine gun nest was taken, together with 4 officers and 128 men and several guns.

:wtf:

He rolled four 6's.
Zupponn
Lovable and funny
Lovable and funny

Postby IVhorseman » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:19 pm

Apparently it was a heroic feat.
IVhorseman

Postby Keldoclock » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:22 pm

I firmly oppose war, but love guns. I suppose the lesson there is that I like war but not when it happens to me?

MAYOR BLOOMBERG, :yuno: ISSUE CCW LICENCES?
At least a C&R license so I can shoot grandpappy's Mosin... C'mooon maaaan, all I'm gonna do with it is clean it and stare at it and maybe shoot some tin cans...
stubby wrote:omg noob, balrogs are maiars too, don't you know anything
Keldoclock
Pooplord

Postby Ben-Jammin » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:46 pm

I firmly oppose war, but love guns. I suppose the lesson there is that I like war but not when it happens to me?

It could though. I'm sure everyone's noticed how New York (next to D.C.) would be the prime target for invading armies/monsters.
Ben-Jammin
My Little Pony

Postby Whiteagle » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:54 pm

Ben-Jammin wrote:

It could though. I'm sure everyone's noticed how New York (next to D.C.) would be the prime target for invading armies/monsters.

And this is why I love living in Iowa.
Whiteagle
Playmobil

Next

Return to General Discussion