The Return of Bastion [IMG HEAVY]

terraria, dwarf fortress, whatever, they're all the same damn game

Moderators: Ross_Varn, 501stCadians, dilanski

The Return of Bastion [IMG HEAVY]

Postby Olothontor » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:48 am

The fabled tower that has been sighted across the various Minecraft megaverses is back in action! This time, though, Ross told me about it first, so we're going to do our best to make it something special. Some screenshots and a little explanation follow.

The tower base, mostly complete.

A closer view of the same.

The upper walkway in progress.

A sample house one might find in one of Bastion's residential districts.

A couple shots of the test wall segment and adjoining tower we mocked up that will separate the city's major districts from the surrounding wharf and port areas. There's also a road the runs along the inside of the wall, accessible through the base of the tower.

Further progress on the walkway. Testing gardens!

Gardens: check. Next step: interior access.

Righto! Quadruple helix stairwell is installed.

For added class and convenience, there's even a dropshaft that goes down the center of the stairs. Safe from any height.

Bastion 2.0 will not only include the landmark Bastion Spire, a massive hub of commerce and luxury at the city's center, it will also now be a fully-fledged port city, sitting near the center of the Casseyan Ocean and inviting all comers with the promise of food, drink, a warm bed, and respite from the sea goddess's unpredictable whims. As it always has been, Ross will serve as principal Vassal of Bastion, having received a municipal charter from the Tsar. The remainder of the government is yet to be decided because we don't know exactly who else will be living here. And that segues me nicely into my second point.

Matt is considering just moving everyone over to Bastion once it's done and using it instead of the fort as our central hub. How okay are you guys with this? I know I'm certainly not up for forcing anyone to move out of there if they would rather stay and maintain the fort, especially since Ross is now back there with his admin powers helping to tidy it up. If you're cool with it or not cool with it, be sure to include that in your post so that we can get a rough tally going. If more people are in favor of switching over than they are against it, we'll do that. If not, Bastion will just serve as a landmark and a point of interest on the map, maintained by a handful of us (at the very least, Ross and I).

This is still a heavy WIP, so no. I'm not giving anybody the coordinates yet. I'll be posting new screenshots somewhat regularly, so you can sit tight and watch the progress.
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane." - Akira Kurosawa
-=[ Visage ]=-

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna

Location: Lounging in a commercial Starliner of his own design.

Re: The Return of Bastion [IMG HEAVY]

Postby SnakeMittens » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:43 am

I like the fort, but Bastion is awesome. Maybe we should just have transportation between the two, so people will be constantly shuttling back and forth?
SnakeMittens
Galidor

Postby RunsWithLegos » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:09 am

I am very ageinst moving from the fort, there is still so much to be done there.
RunsWithLegos
Pooplord

Postby knolli » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:05 pm

Olothontor, please answer me one question: What is there left for us to do once you have finished Bastion?

In my opinion there is absolutely no point in moving to a place that is already finished. On top of that finished by someone else. Using creative powers. To me Mincraft means building. Continualy. If you have finished one project it is time to leave it behind and start the next one.

I don't want to talk bad about Bastion. It looks absolutely awesome. But all I can do there is walk the corridors and admire the architecture. I don't want to become a ghost in someone else's castle.
Ross_Varn wrote:Knolli is awesome.
knolli
Dimmy

Postby Olothontor » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:43 pm

knolli wrote:Olothontor, please answer me one question: What is there left for us to do once you have finished Bastion?

In my opinion there is absolutely no point in moving to a place that is already finished. On top of that finished by someone else. Using creative powers. To me Mincraft means building. Continualy. If you have finished one project it is time to leave it behind and start the next one.

I don't want to talk bad about Bastion. It looks absolutely awesome. But all I can do there is walk the corridors and admire the architecture. I don't want to become a ghost in someone else's castle.

We are not planning on building the city to completion. And anyway, I'm not the one who suggested that any of you join me here. Talk to Matt.

In any case, the plan for the city proper (particularly the residential district) is to do it on lots. There'll be a variety of lots throughout the district(s) that people can claim, and then a selection of sample buildings and a Code to follow (you can't exceed a certain height or go past the limit of your lot, and must use certain materials in its construction, for example). That way, you guys still get to build, but the city will still look uniform and together without restricting you guys too much.

Honestly, I'm content to build the whole thing. If I have creative, I might as well go big, and that's what I intend to do. Any lots that aren't taken will be built over so that there aren't gaping holes in the districts after some length of time.

SnakeMittens wrote:I like the fort, but Bastion is awesome. Maybe we should just have transportation between the two, so people will be constantly shuttling back and forth?

I think Malakii is working on a Nether railway of some sort. Also, I had planned some sort of underwater subway, or at the very least a road and a bridge. Rest assured that there will be some form of passage between Bastion and Brikhalls eventually.
-=[ Visage ]=-

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna

Postby Ross_Varn » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:47 pm

I personally am not one in support of just moving everyone to Bastion. Building something like this- sure, we can use it, but maybe just as a part of the RP Events. We have to focus the Events, as they are, around Brikhalls, because that's where people are invested and that's where people are going to continue to build.
Ross_Varn
Blockguy

Postby knolli » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:56 am

There are Testificates living in the example houses. Did they spawn there on their own? Will they inhabit our homes, too, if we build Bastion City?
knolli
Dimmy

Postby RunsWithLegos » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:44 pm

damn squaters! KILL THEM ALLLL
RunsWithLegos
Pooplord

Postby Keldoclock » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:29 pm

knolli wrote:There are Testificates living in the example houses. Did they spawn there on their own? Will they inhabit our homes, too, if we build Bastion City?

Not if your houses are roofless/ have iron doors instead of wooden ones.
stubby wrote:omg noob, balrogs are maiars too, don't you know anything
Keldoclock
Pooplord

Postby Olothontor » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:31 pm

knolli wrote:There are Testificates living in the example houses. Did they spawn there on their own? Will they inhabit our homes, too, if we build Bastion City?

I put two in there to test breeding environments. If there are still only two of them there, then they do not breed in the sample house, and thus the sample house does not qualify as the Villager's "home." They should be safe.

That said, a fully-developed CITY with actual CITIZENS would be pretty damn nifty, I think.
-=[ Visage ]=-

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna

Postby Ham701 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:43 pm

New Solitude will remain autonomous and shall never move to Bastion.
stubby wrote: my floppy penis gets first dibs on it for tradition's sake, but it doesn't seem likely that he'll want to stick around long enough to play.

Ham701
Galidor

Postby Olothontor » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:04 am

Updaaate~!

ALL THE STAIRS. Expanding the staircase up a bit is the next step, in order to more easily be able to mark off floor heights. At this point, the tower reaches just past cloud height. It will eventually go much, much higher, possibly to the top of the map.

Also, nice grassy flooring for indoor garden shenanigans, and a nice little raised walkway.

And later on that evening...

Stairwell is just about done.

The aforementioned indoor gardens. Small and unimpressive.
-=[ Visage ]=-

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna

Postby knolli » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:57 am

Olothontor wrote:That said, a fully-developed CITY with actual CITIZENS would be pretty damn nifty, I think.

Agreed.

You really want to go all the way up? I advise against it. But if make it too high, it might look like a needle from the distance. I think it would be best to have three parts on top of each other of nearly equal hight or even better: equal hight-to-width ratio. If you make that the golden ratio, it is perfect. The balcony width-to-tower-radius ratio should be golden as well.
...I am not overthinking things again, am I?
knolli
Dimmy

Postby Keldoclock » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:48 am

You could always have a Space Needle-like structure at the top of the needle, thus giving it more visual interest and also room for executive rooms/ tnt dropping self destruct sequences.
stubby wrote:omg noob, balrogs are maiars too, don't you know anything
Keldoclock
Pooplord

Postby Olothontor » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:55 am

Yeah, I wasn't sure about the height yet. I suppose we'll have to see what happens.

Anywho, I got up early before class to finish up some things I started after the previous update last night.

-=[ Visage ]=-

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna

Next

Return to blah blah minecraft