Moderators: Almighty Benny, Blitzen, Silent-sigfig

I don't even...

Postby Zahru II » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:17 pm

Zahru II
balls just have this nasty tendency to wear out over time

Re: I don't even...

Postby Zupponn » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:30 pm

Halloween could suggest paganism

Halloween has Catholic ties. Douchebags.
Zupponn
Lovable and funny
Lovable and funny

Postby Xenoman » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:41 pm

As someone who celebrates Halloween passionately every year with a new costume (oftentimes costing me hundreds of dollars in materials), I can honestly say that New York City lost any future financial references from me (vacation, stays, etc).

What a joke society has become.
TROLOLO
Xenoman
Hero

Postby Zupponn » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:47 pm

New York after the testing system changes.
Zupponn
Lovable and funny
Lovable and funny

Postby stubby » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:49 pm

Zupponn wrote:Halloween has Catholic ties. Douchebags.

So does Satanism.

I'm pretty sure the people objecting to Halloween are the same ones who object to Catholics. Namely, Protestants.
stubby
forum janitor

Postby samuelzz10 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:53 pm

I just had to write a paper on breaking laws and racial segregation. I live in a southern state (Texas) so getting this close to the sun is very rare.
Spoiler: show
my old sig

WARNING: Posts in forum may have been edited by forum
samuelzz10
n00b
n00b

Postby Ben-Jammin » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:32 am

I always though Halloween had Celtic origins....like it was the Celtic new year or something. Although they were a pagan society until they were converted, I still don't really see anything wrong with Halloween.
Ben-Jammin
My Little Pony

Postby Silverdream » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:58 am

Ben-Jammin wrote:I always though Halloween had Celtic origins....like it was the Celtic new year or something. Although they were a pagan society until they were converted, I still don't really see anything wrong with Halloween.

I thought it came from La Dia de los Muertos, something Spanish Catholics invented to convert Native Americans.

Spoiler: show
mgb519 wrote:Seriously, you are now the first ever forum superhero.

Colette wrote:I hereby acknowledge Silverdream as the one and only forum troll as agreed in the bet.

Quantumsurfer wrote:No, I have 2 silver.
Silverdream
Blockguy

Postby Robot Monkey » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:38 pm

Notice how all these "banned words" are because of some religion or other. In other news, religious people are complete jerks.
Robot Monkey
Pooplord

Postby Alex » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:46 pm

Robot Monkey wrote:Notice how all these "banned words" are because of some religion or other. In other news, religious people are complete jerks.

I don't think that's it exactly. The words divorce, disease, poverty, slavery and terrorism are also banned. Basically, it's the PC police trying to go around and keep anybody from saying anything that might possibly offend anybody, even though their doing so is a huge violation of the 1st amendment. Fuck censorship.
Alex
Dimmy

Postby IVhorseman » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:20 pm

Silverdream wrote:
Ben-Jammin wrote:I always though Halloween had Celtic origins....like it was the Celtic new year or something. Although they were a pagan society until they were converted, I still don't really see anything wrong with Halloween.

I thought it came from La Dia de los Muertos, something Spanish Catholics invented to convert Native Americans.

Turns out that Dia de los Muertos is actually a combination catholic/indigenous mexican tradition, and has nothing to do with halloween, even though it's literally the day after.

Dia de los Muertos is also All Saints day in the Catholic church. The day beforehand was the c.hristmas eve to it's c.hristmas, and was considered a holy day, when all is hallowed. So, "All-hallow's eve" eventually became "halloween" and candy became funsize. More or less.
IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Postby stubby » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:35 pm

Alex wrote:I don't think that's it exactly. The words divorce, disease, poverty, slavery and terrorism are also banned. Basically, it's the PC police trying to go around and keep anybody from saying anything that might possibly offend anybody, even though their doing so is a huge violation of the 1st amendment. Fuck censorship.

Remember that all of this is only in reference to standardized tests, not to teaching in general. It turns out that dismaying people about specific subjects skews the results of standardized tests and makes them less accurate.

Some quick examples of how weird this all gets: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/08/opinion/08nisbett.html?pagewanted=all
stubby
forum janitor

Postby sjosten » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:46 pm

Am I reading it wrong or did it ban the word dancing? If they did, I bet it's so they don't "offend" people in wheelchairs.
Han Solo wrote: Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side kid.
sjosten
Minifig

Postby Insert_blank » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:38 pm

This sort of makes sense. Standardized tests are all about not thinking so making them as dull as possible isn't a big deal. No one gets too excited about taking a test anyway.

The real topic of discussion here is Jehovah's Witnesses don't have birthdays? That sucks!!
月にかわってお仕置きよ!
月の光は愛のメセジ
Insert_blank
Minifig

Postby Robot Monkey » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:48 pm

Insert_blank wrote: The real topic of discussion here is Jehovah's Witnesses don't have birthdays? That sucks!!

No wonder they seem so bored when they knock on my door and force their religion down my throat.
Robot Monkey
Pooplord

Next

Return to General Discussion