Menaulion Tank Destroyer

Show off your armies and weaponry and stuff.

Moderators: Zahru II, Bragallot, RedRover, Natalya

Porphyrogenitus
Officer
Location: Aurora, Indiana, United States, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

Menaulion Tank Destroyer

Post by Porphyrogenitus » Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:33 am

It's been a while since I posted anything, so here is a nice little tracked tank destroyer I put together a month or so ago. I hope to post my anti-gravity tank soonish. The MOCpages link is http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/315277

The Basilikoi military is divided into two main sections. The mobile field armies are known as the tagmata, while the planetary garrison troops are called the themata. These garrison troops are raised locally and expected only to defend their homeworlds, barring some emergency situation requiring full mobilization of all armed citizens.

Rather than spend countless resources and empty the treasury in a futile attempt to arm every single garrison unit with expensive and powerful anti-gravity tanks, the Basilikoi came up with a pragmatic alternative. Since the primary role of the themata is defensive, why not equip them with a defensively-oriented anti-tank vehicle? Thus, the Menaulion was born. Its frontal armor is thick and sloped, so that it can bear repeated blows from enemy heavy guns, while its own main gun, a massive gravity-accelerated kinetic penetrator cannon, is the same as that mounted on the heavy anti-gravity tanks of the tagmata. The Menaulion can take a beating and hit back just as hard, all while costing far less than a true tank would.

These savings come at a cost in performance, though. The Menaulion is turret-less, making it useless in a mobile battle. This weakness is largely moot, however, when the tank destroyer is deployed in the role for which it was designed. Whether firing from a prepared position or using the restricted quarters of urban warfare, it excels at dominating firing lanes and killing enemy vehicles.

It is also primarily geared toward frontal assaults. Its rear armor is relatively thin and entirely flat, without any slope to mitigate damage. Its armored skirts are designed to ablate, allowing the main hull to remain intact even as the skirts fall apart under enemy fire. That does not mean that it is defenseless, however. Mounted just before the well-protected hatch is a pair of gravity-accelerated kinetic penetrator rifles. This double-mounted weapon system is more than capable of fending off small-scale infantry attacks, and even provides a modicum of anti-air defense. Still, the tank destroyer was built with one thing in mind, and that one thing it does very well indeed.

0 Lord, save Thy people and bless Thine Inheritance. To our Rulers grant victories over the barbarians, and by Thy Cross protect Thine own Estate.

Bragallot
MULTIPLE, SIMULTANEOUS AND DEVASTATING DEFENSIVE DEEP STRIKES!!!

Re: Menaulion Tank Destroyer

Post by Bragallot » Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:48 am

This is freakin' badass, it looks like it could plow through Michael Moore with a single shot. I like the gun turret on top immensely.
Fantasy battles - Scifi battles
Kommander Ken wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:04 pm
Wtf is this thread?

morganm
Dimmy

Post by morganm » Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:27 am

Damn dude that's an epic piece of mobilized artillery there!

Ben-Jammin
Mega Blok

Post by Ben-Jammin » Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:28 am

I like the addition of the big machine gun thing near the main gun. Sweet design. Very compact. :D

Silverdream
Nice use of noise

Post by Silverdream » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:56 am

The Basilikoi are the coolest possible version of Space Greece.
This sig is too fucking large: show anyway
Image lol j/k

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Post by IVhorseman » Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:38 pm

Tank Destroyers are fuuuuun. nice job!

Ben-Jammin
Mega Blok

Post by Ben-Jammin » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:24 pm

I thought they were more like space Rome. Oh well, shows how much I know... :roll:

Porphyrogenitus
Officer

Post by Porphyrogenitus » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:48 pm

Ben-Jammin wrote:
I thought they were more like space Rome. Oh well, shows how much I know... :roll:
You are both right, actually. I based them on post-Diocletian Rome (the Byzantine Empire is what they are often called, though certainly none of their contemporaries thought they were anything but the Roman Empire). I try to take inspiration from the various troop types that their military manuals describe. The Menaulion, for instance, was a short, heavy spear designed to punch through horse armor while receiving a heavy cavalry charge. I figured it fit rather nicely for a tank destroyer.
0 Lord, save Thy people and bless Thine Inheritance. To our Rulers grant victories over the barbarians, and by Thy Cross protect Thine own Estate.

Ben-Jammin
Mega Blok

Post by Ben-Jammin » Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:49 am

Yeah, especially when a horde of enemy tanks come rumbling across the battlefield towards your line. I'd say this thing is invaluable.

BFenix
Pooplord

Post by BFenix » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:10 pm

The top turret looks menacing, along with the tank's whole design. Good job.

Tommy Oliver
Battlefield General

Post by Tommy Oliver » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:00 pm

A tank that destroys tanks... IT'S A CANNIBAL! :shock:

Seriously though, nice job. :)

Jbgarrison
Minifig

Post by Jbgarrison » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:20 pm

I like this tank hunter a lot... interestingly though, with the turret elevation and high chassis profile I am actually reminded of self-propelled artillery. Either way, totally awsome build! :)

Porphyrogenitus
Officer

Post by Porphyrogenitus » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:56 pm

Jbgarrison wrote:I like this tank hunter a lot... interestingly though, with the turret elevation and high chassis profile I am actually reminded of self-propelled artillery. Either way, totally awsome build! :)
As it turns out, the profile (aside from the twin-rifle turret, which sticks up rather far) is about half that of my anti-gravity tank (still need to take better pictures so I can post that).

I could mod it pretty easily into an artillery piece. I've got plenty of dark bley trashcans, which make for excellent large-bore guns. Still, given the tek base of the Basilikoi (gravitically propelled munitions that rely on direct kinetic energy transfer rather than payload for damage), a tank destroyer seemed more appropriate than a howitzer or something. Even more so, given the STD preponderance of late.

In slightly related news, I decided to swap out the left arms on all my Firestorm infantry (red instead of black, to signify that they are rated to use the finicky and unstable Firestorm projectors). It adds a bit of accent to the army (breaks up the otherwise largely-unrelieved black).

Pwnerade
Mega Blok

Post by Pwnerade » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:26 am

Now that is a beautiful AFV! :sparta: :guinness:
An army marches on its stomach, and its favorite food is fudge.