I have a question about vehicle claws.

Rules questions, suggestions, and discussion

Moderators: Pwnerade, IVhorseman

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Re: I have a question about vehicle claws.

Post by stubby » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:14 am

IVhorseman wrote:What I can't figure out is if, with the whole automatically hit in melee thing, a minifig armed with a minifig-sized CC weapon with their other hand open (as opposed to holding a shield, their only other option) is allowed to grab and stab his opponents for automatic hits?
Yep. Like this:
IVhorseman: Grab (successful unless opponent Counters or Bails)
Opponent: Counter (if Counterattack, automatically hits)
IVhorseman: Attack (automatically hits)
Opponent: Counter (if Counterattack, automatically hits)

So there's no real reason not to grab an unarmed opponent.

I'm also thinking that regardless of your size or the size of your arms, as long as the grabber is at least as big as the grabbee, the cost for breaking free is a simple -1d6" movement penalty. Smaller things wiggle free, larger things power out, it all evens out to -1d6" for simplicity's sake. And of course Knockback can also work to break any grab, regardless of size relations.
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Post by IVhorseman » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:01 am

okay, that actually sounds totally awesome now.

For the pugilistic player who wants to take grabs and unarmed fighting into some whole new stupid level, here's a small unrelated bit I've been using for unarmed combat.

As was decided earlier, minifig hands are too soft and fleshy to actually kill or incapacitate another minifig, so generally, a punching, kicking, or otherwise unarmed attack has a use of 2 and does zero damage. However, if the minifig rolls a 6 on the skill roll and is able to qualify for overskill damage, the punch just might have the force to punch someone's head right off, or tear an arm from it's socket or whatever. Naturally, fistfights tend to last much longer than simply using an actual weapon, or even a random object.

Ninjas deal an extra 1d6 damage to CC attacks, and should be able to add that to their punch damage as well. They may still only make two melee attacks per turn. Other minifigs with some kind of unarmed training ability would be able to treat them as CC Hand Weapons (LOL U GET IT).

Keldoclock
My Little Pony

Post by Keldoclock » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:32 am

LOL I GET IT

(best read in the voice of StrawberryClock. If you don't know who he is, google is your friend.)
stubby wrote:omg noob, balrogs are maiars too, don't you know anything

Whiteagle
whiteeagle problems
whiteeagle problems

Post by Whiteagle » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:45 pm

IVhorseman wrote:okay, that actually sounds totally awesome now.

For the pugilistic player who wants to take grabs and unarmed fighting into some whole new stupid level, here's a small unrelated bit I've been using for unarmed combat.

As was decided earlier, minifig hands are too soft and fleshy to actually kill or incapacitate another minifig, so generally, a punching, kicking, or otherwise unarmed attack has a use of 2 and does zero damage. However, if the minifig rolls a 6 on the skill roll and is able to qualify for overskill damage, the punch just might have the force to punch someone's head right off, or tear an arm from it's socket or whatever. Naturally, fistfights tend to last much longer than simply using an actual weapon, or even a random object.

Ninjas deal an extra 1d6 damage to CC attacks, and should be able to add that to their punch damage as well. They may still only make two melee attacks per turn. Other minifigs with some kind of unarmed training ability would be able to treat them as CC Hand Weapons (LOL U GET IT).
Great, now I'm imagining a Hero with the ability to do insane amounts of Unarmed Melee damage with the caveat that it takes one or two turns to take effect, ala Fist of the North Star.

...And you could probably have an Anti-Construct version based on Gunnm.

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:14 pm

Well on average it'd take about ten turns, but then BOOM! explosion.

Gungnir
Jaw-Jaw

Post by Gungnir » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:48 am

I played a few games where this sort of thing came up. We usually just made rules on the spot whenever situations came up. Said rules were all over the place.
We treated grapple as an opposed skill check, with larger units getting bonus dice equal to the size difference, and multiple grappling units would combine their skill rolls. If a unit succeeded in a grapple, the target as a construction element of the same size for the sake of movement.
A grappled unit could resist with another opposed skill check, but it would count as an action and response for both units, depending on who's turn it is; if a unit acted on its last turn, it would automatically fail the check.
If a unit grabbed onto something larger than itself, it would have to make a skill check against the targets movement each turn the target moved. Et cetera.
Like I said, our rules were a mess.
BrikThulhu eats 1d6 minifigs each turn.

Natalya
I've trolled before.

Post by Natalya » Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:29 pm

I think the rules are too complicated. It needs to be more "just roll skill vs skill" I think.
  ▲
▲ ▲

"Ya gotta remember, Soryu's a brutal thug, ain't got no finesse like Shinji."

Zupponn
if you give us money we will give you product
if you give us money we will give you product

Post by Zupponn » Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:44 pm

:fudge:
My rules for when I don't know exactly what to do:
Roll a d6.
1-3: Failed attempt
4-6: Successful attempt
:D

Natalya
I've trolled before.

Post by Natalya » Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:59 am

Zupponn wrote::fudge:
My rules for when I don't know exactly what to do:
Roll a d6.
1-3: Failed attempt
4-6: Successful attempt
:D
That's pretty much what I do a lot of the time.
  ▲
▲ ▲

"Ya gotta remember, Soryu's a brutal thug, ain't got no finesse like Shinji."

Pwnerade
Mega Blok

Post by Pwnerade » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:07 am

This is why there's the What I Say Goes Rule.
An army marches on its stomach, and its favorite food is fudge.