Basilikoi Klibanophoros Anti-Gravity Tank

Show off your armies and weaponry and stuff.

Moderators: Zahru II, Bragallot, RedRover, Natalya

Porphyrogenitus
Officer
Location: Aurora, Indiana, United States, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

Basilikoi Klibanophoros Anti-Gravity Tank

Post by Porphyrogenitus » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:24 pm

I finally got around to taking better pictures of the Klibanophoros. Here's the MOCpages link: http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/317598

The Basilikoi military relies heavily on combined-arms. Its infantry is the solid core of its army, but the offensive arm is the cavalry. Consisting primarily of anti-gravity tanks, the cavalry has light, medium, and heavy arms. The Klibanophoros is the current mainstay of the heavy cavalry.

The Klibanophoros boasts a heavy cannon for its main gun. A gravitic-accelerated kinetic penetrator, using artificial- and anti-gravity to propel a depleted uranium sliver to inordinate velocities, the main gun is more than capable of defeating even the heaviest of enemy armor, without the weaknesses of a warhead (vulnerable both to point-defense weapons and to reactive armor) or a directed-energy weapon (vulnerable to electromagnetic shielding and absorbtive armors). This same technology powers the bulk of the empire's weaponry, with the main exceptions being ship-based point-defense, where directed-energy is preferable, and the highly-classified Fire Storm devices.

The main gun is capable of significant depression and elevation, and the turret boasts a smooth, 360-degree rotation. The two side-mounted rifles are capable of engaging targets in all directions, though generally only one or the other can bear on a single target. What truly sets apart the Klibanophoros from most other Basilikoi tanks, though, is that it mounts a Fire Storm projector. This powerful but unstable weapon allows the Klibanophoros to destroy nearly any foe, though it must close to a dangerously short range before it can employ the device, and the swarm of exotic particles is hazardous to friend and foe alike.

Its armor is very thick, composed of ceramics fired in the hottest temperatures achievable by Basilikoi technicians. Though not as carefully sloped as that of the Menaulion, it still manages to provide superior all-around deflection and is sufficiently thick that it can withstand several direct blows from typical enemy anti-tank weaponry without failing.

The crew accesses the interior via a rear-mounted hatch. To attempt to mitigate the potential vulnerabilities posed by any gaps in the hull, the hatch is heavily reinforced.

The driver sits in the heavily-fortified forward portion of the hull, with the most extensive sloping to maximize deflection. The gunner sits immediately behind him, under the turret that is his primary responsibility. Each control station is capable of performing the other's duties, but given the number of weapon systems available, it is by far most effective when both crewmen are free to concentrate on their own duties.

The turret mounts into the top of the Klibanophoros very easily and securely, allowing for quick maintenance without sacrificing durability.

The Basilikoi have found that few enemies can stand against a heavy cavalry charge, but when one proves intractable that is when the infantry come in. Should the Klibanophoroi be repelled, they can fall back into the protection of their infantry, at which point they can turn and provide fire support, or reform for another charge. Though not ideal as pursuit or screening forces, the heavy tank is very good at the job for which it was designed.

0 Lord, save Thy people and bless Thine Inheritance. To our Rulers grant victories over the barbarians, and by Thy Cross protect Thine own Estate.

Whiteagle
whiteeagle problems
whiteeagle problems

Re: Basilikoi Klibanophoros Anti-Gravity Tank

Post by Whiteagle » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:39 pm

Nice tankage!
Love how it looks sort of like the AAT with its hover-skirt, but those guns clearly make the design your own.
Could we get a pic of the rifles swinging out if they can?

Porphyrogenitus
Officer

Post by Porphyrogenitus » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:44 pm

The third pic I tried to elevate and swing out the near gun, but the angle doesn't show the swing on it very well. They have a hing element near the rotational point allowing it to swing a full ninety degrees (from parallel to the tank's hull to perpendicular to the hull).

I'm lazy, so the relatively small amount of work needed for me to take new pictures is a pretty high threshold for me to overcome, but I'll see if I can bring myself to do it.
0 Lord, save Thy people and bless Thine Inheritance. To our Rulers grant victories over the barbarians, and by Thy Cross protect Thine own Estate.

Ben-Jammin
Mega Blok

Post by Ben-Jammin » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:42 am

Nice tank. I've never really tried making a hovertank before. Looks great, especially the turret.

RunsWithLegos
Official Duck
Official Duck

Post by RunsWithLegos » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:29 am

Ballin bro! i'd love to face that in battle!

Pwnerade
Mega Blok

Post by Pwnerade » Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:45 am

Beautiful.
An army marches on its stomach, and its favorite food is fudge.

Porphyrogenitus
Officer

Post by Porphyrogenitus » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:34 pm

I went ahead and took a quick picture of one of the side guns, as well as the undercarriage (so you can see that it is a little more than just a flat section of plates).

Gun first:

Then undercarriage:

RunsWithLegos
Official Duck
Official Duck

Post by RunsWithLegos » Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:01 pm

has it been tested in battle?

Porphyrogenitus
Officer

Post by Porphyrogenitus » Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:20 pm

RunsWithLegos wrote:has it been tested in battle?
Sadly I don't have anyone to do battle with. At this point all I can do is gather troops and build MOCs. I have yet to stat any of this out as a consequence.

cleanupcrew
Catastrophe Magnet

Post by cleanupcrew » Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:21 pm

Solution: Forum Battle.

Porphyrogenitus
Officer

Post by Porphyrogenitus » Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:24 pm

Porphyrogenitus wrote:I'm lazy
Also I don't have enough room to set up a battlefield for long enough to do a proper forum battle. I've got a great table for it, but it's covered by a bunch of junk that I have no idea what to do with and that I can't really move anywhere else.

Zupponn
if you give us money we will give you product
if you give us money we will give you product

Post by Zupponn » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:59 pm

Porphyrogenitus wrote:I can't really move anywhere else.
Floor.

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Post by IVhorseman » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:17 pm

Porphyrogenitus wrote:I have yet to stat any of this out as a consequence.
Armor this heavy may justify usage of a 4d10 armor level, but 3d10 should work just fine too. I'd also give it about 8 inches to move with, and since none of the guns are explsosives, so you've got two size 3ish guns, and I have no idea how long the main gun's barrel is in inches, but that's how many d6s of damage it dishes out.

You have two crew members, so a pilot and a gunner would work well. They're both at a set of controls, so they may either use both of their actions to fire two of the weapons, or the gunner can use his gunnery support action to make the pilot's shot more accurate. With bonus dice, 1d6+1 skill is just a tad better than 1d8 on it's own, only because it's more likely to roll bonus dice.

The Firestorm Projector could even work as a kind of Supernatural Device, with 5d12 power to spend on it's own. When activated, it deals 4d12 damage to everything within 1d12/2 inches. d12s also work with the whole unstable thing, so there's totally a not-impossible chance for you to only deal 5 or 6 damage total if the roll was shitty enough. Whoops!

And there's nothing wrong with playing a game against yourself as long as you take cool pictures. :asterios:

Have I told you I love this thing? I love this thing.

Porphyrogenitus
Officer

Post by Porphyrogenitus » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:28 pm

IVhorseman wrote:
Porphyrogenitus wrote:I have yet to stat any of this out as a consequence.
Armor this heavy may justify usage of a 4d10 armor level, but 3d10 should work just fine too. I'd also give it about 8 inches to move with, and since none of the guns are explsosives, so you've got two size 3ish guns, and I have no idea how long the main gun's barrel is in inches, but that's how many d6s of damage it dishes out.

You have two crew members, so a pilot and a gunner would work well. They're both at a set of controls, so they may either use both of their actions to fire two of the weapons, or the gunner can use his gunnery support action to make the pilot's shot more accurate. With bonus dice, 1d6+1 skill is just a tad better than 1d8 on it's own, only because it's more likely to roll bonus dice.

The Firestorm Projector could even work as a kind of Supernatural Device, with 5d12 power to spend on it's own. When activated, it deals 4d12 damage to everything within 1d12/2 inches. d12s also work with the whole unstable thing, so there's totally a not-impossible chance for you to only deal 5 or 6 damage total if the roll was shitty enough. Whoops!

And there's nothing wrong with playing a game against yourself as long as you take cool pictures. :asterios:

Have I told you I love this thing? I love this thing.
Thank you very much.

The main gun is 6 or 7 inches, depending on where you measure from (the tank destroyer would be the same). The side guns are closer to 2 inches if you measure only the gun, but fully 3 if you include the counterweight/mount. That should give me some wiggle room stat-wise.

I have considered doing something against myself, and I've done what I can to accumulate troops for a variety of factions. Still, it'd be hard for me to match even one squad of my Basilikoi against any single group (I do have two more competitively sized small factions which might work, but it'd only be squad on squad). I'd have to come up with some kind of design pattern for other faction vehicles if I were going to make things very interesting, and I have a hard enough time figuring out designs for the Basilikoi (which use the colors I've most tried to acquire bricks in). Given time I could do it I'm sure, but it will likely be a while. I have a project (not Lego related, sadly, but potentially money-making) that I need to get some real work done on, so my spare time is a bit limited for the next couple of months. Maybe when it's done I can see about building some competing hardware.

That would still leave me with some space issues, but hopefully that will be resolved in the not-so-distant-future. I really need a clear, long-duration open space if I'm going to get any kind of terrain/battlefields built.

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:12 am

Or just enough cardboard boxes and beer bottles.

Beer boxes!