Squads? Officers? Creatures?

Rules questions, suggestions, and discussion

Moderators: Pwnerade, IVhorseman

ColourSchemer
Officer

Squads? Officers? Creatures?

Post by ColourSchemer » Thu May 17, 2012 5:01 pm

So I've been gone a while* and now that I'm back I notice broken pages for creatures, squads and officers. Is the Mighty Rayhawk actually reworking the rules? (I really must remember to actually SEND the bribes) Or is that a web hosting error.

Can someone give me a 42 word summary of the major changes from 2005 to 2010?

I am hoping to introduce some board and strategy-yet-not-lego-fan-gamers to Brikwars in the coming months. They are the type of gamers that if I do not know the basic rules well enough will research them on their smart phone and use my ignorance against me for a overwhelming defeat (with my own proffered ABS, no less).

*moved to Arizona, got a job with the Army, got two dogs and two more cults and with some help from the wife had three kids. Not necessarily in that order, but chronology is over-rated. What have you accomplished this decade?

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Re: Squads? Officers? Creatures?

Post by IVhorseman » Thu May 17, 2012 5:37 pm

Board and Strategy gamers tend to come apart at the seams when propped up next to a WISG roll or a heroic feat. It's really hard getting them to adopt the concept that they're not playing to win the objective, as much as they're playing to win at having the most fun. I have a friend who I got into brikwars that spends every game he plays trying to munchkin out a heroic feat that will give him the hands-down best strategic advantage possible, which sometimes gets a little boring because it drags everyone else's turn down while he's trying to think of something new for THIS turn, while I'm more apt to save my heroic feat as a response action if I can't immediately think of something awesome to do with it. Then again, he might be having more fun than me, so who am I to call myself right?

Anyways, the short summary and big changes:

*Body Armor now costs 1/2 move and makes your guy super clumsy, but ignores one die of each type from each weapon - even an overskilled grenade won't scratch an armored guy (but it WILL knock him down...).
*More weapon types, available in hand-weapon, 2-hand weapon, and size-based siege variants.
*Fewer 1d6+1's, more 1d8s.
*Overskill
*Better Superpowers

Overall, I think it's a significant improvement and is easier to learn than 2005. In playing it, I've noticed a lot fewer instances of "Oops, I forgot that this guy's armor gave him an extra 2 points but he died 2 turns ago" since all abilities and effects of things are significantly more noticeable and substantial. I'm waaaaay past 42 words, but since you asked about them in the title, squads also no longer cost an action to form up: units can join or leave squads willy nilly, so officers are getting some ability to bump up the whole squad's skill a die level in combined actions.

ColourSchemer
Officer

Post by ColourSchemer » Thu May 17, 2012 5:53 pm

I think these brainacs will actually get into WISG, Hero personas, chaos+destruction>winning, with a little coaxing. They're not rules lawyers, but enjoy both carnage fun and strateegry.

So is it just broken links on the page then, it sounds like the info is actually published (except for all of the officers updates)

Is it here in the forums somewhere? *Uses ant-burning-laser to find it*

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Thu May 17, 2012 5:58 pm

It's buried deep within the forums, and still not "final" anyways. I made a thread with a bunch of sweet weapon mods that works with 2010, and I'm secretly hoping some of the ideas make it into the rulebook. You can check the 2010 edition Feedback page for most of it.

Ben-Jammin
Mega Blok

Post by Ben-Jammin » Sat May 19, 2012 5:30 am

Keldoclock
My Little Pony

Post by Keldoclock » Fri May 25, 2012 12:14 am

:why:

We went so long without linking it. TWO YEARS.
stubby wrote:omg noob, balrogs are maiars too, don't you know anything

Rev. Sylvanus
Galidor
Galidor

Post by Rev. Sylvanus » Fri May 25, 2012 10:24 am

Not linking the 2010 rules is SOOO like 2011 8)
For Your Reading Pleasure: Rev's Battle Reports

Reference Sheets: Animals and Mounts / Medieval Weapons

Factions: Dragon Guard / Hiimboredagain Raiders

ColourSchemer
Officer

Post by ColourSchemer » Fri May 25, 2012 10:39 am

And if you'd read my posts, you would see that the chapters I referenced are experiencing some kind of broken-link issue. I don't need you to google that for me. :brick: