Marijuana Tipping Point

You know, whatever

Moderators: Blitzen, Silent-sigfig, Almighty Benny

Marijuana Tipping Point

Postby Natalya » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:49 am

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_ ... _marijuana

I think we're finally getting to a point where in our country, Marijuana laws will only start to get repealed and Marijuana will become more and more decriminalized. The laws criminalizing marijuana are slowly being eroded at the state level and we are entering a period where across the country the drug will eventually become accepted by most members of the society. If you look at the poll above, the 56% in favour of decriminalization is important, but the more important number IMO is that only 36% thought it should stay illegal. Public opposition has decreased markedly.

Also, just last week, Connecticut became the 17th state to legalize medical Marijuana. New Hampshire will probably be next if their governor doesn't veto a medical marijuana bill that was just passed by the New Hampshire legislature and is sitting on his desk.
  ▲
▲ ▲

"Each night alone I dream, that I'm a rebel Roller Queen‼
I'll be a star that shines, I can make the whole world mine‼"

Natalya
Tremble in awe, for I am become Admin, Banner of Noobs.
Tremble in awe, for I am become Admin, Banner of Noobs.

Re: Marijuana Tipping Point

Postby Thesson » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:48 am

Thesson
Dimmy

Postby Ben-Jammin » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:33 am

I don't really see anything wrong with it. It's just something else for them to tax, meaning that the gov't will have more money. Perhaps on a better note is the fact that it will stop stuffing our prison system with people who are in there on possession charges, meaning that our prisons will stop having to waste their money and space for such silly things and can instead focus on putting more murderers and pedophiles behind bars. Personally, I don't smoke pot, but I know several people who do and I'm sure them and almost everyone else would be pleased to see it become legal.
Ben-Jammin
My Little Pony

Postby Alex » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:03 am

Ben-Jammin wrote:I don't really see anything wrong with it. It's just something else for them to tax, meaning that the gov't will have more money. Perhaps on a better note is the fact that it will stop stuffing our prison system with people who are in there on possession charges, meaning that our prisons will stop having to waste their money and space for such silly things and can instead focus on putting more murderers and pedophiles behind bars. Personally, I don't smoke pot, but I know several people who do and I'm sure them and almost everyone else would be pleased to see it become legal.

This. Also I'm about to write my senior thesis about how the government can help reduce the power of the Mexican drug cartels by legalizing some, if not all,drugs, and allowing for more legitimate competition. 90% of drugs in the US come from Mexico and something like 70% of the cartels' profits come from marijuana.
Alex
Dimmy

Postby IVhorseman » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:06 pm

Yeup. Marijuana's a fatty cash crop from the cartels. I do my best to buy from local growers, but when I hear "40 dollar half O" I don't ask too many questions.

In California, weed is already decriminalized to the point that possession of up to an ounce is only a misdemeanor now. You get a maximum fine of 100 bucks and don't have to appear in court - it's about equivalent to jaywalking.

Pot will be legal eventually, but I'm a little too stoned to care. OTOH, I'm totally down to go to Costco and buy some Kirkland Signature Chronic.
IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Postby Robot Monkey » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:08 pm

I was on a school field trip to the Denver art museum, with the main 4/20 celebration right across the street. Smelled absolutely disgusting, and the people all looked like they could hardly move, let alone think. I don't see why people would want to do something that incapacitated them like that.
Robot Monkey
Pooplord

Postby IVhorseman » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:14 pm

Because Doritos
IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Postby Ben-Jammin » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:06 pm

Alex wrote:
Ben-Jammin wrote:I don't really see anything wrong with it. It's just something else for them to tax, meaning that the gov't will have more money. Perhaps on a better note is the fact that it will stop stuffing our prison system with people who are in there on possession charges, meaning that our prisons will stop having to waste their money and space for such silly things and can instead focus on putting more murderers and pedophiles behind bars. Personally, I don't smoke pot, but I know several people who do and I'm sure them and almost everyone else would be pleased to see it become legal.

This. Also I'm about to write my senior thesis about how the government can help reduce the power of the Mexican drug cartels by legalizing some, if not all,drugs, and allowing for more legitimate competition. 90% of drugs in the US come from Mexico and something like 70% of the cartels' profits come from marijuana.

I may not see anything wrong with pot, but when it comes to other drugs I'm not sure. Take for instance meth. That stuff should never be legal because the risk of you blowing up both yourself and your house and everyone in it is too great a risk for a few minutes of pleasure. Same with heroin and other injectable drugs; the risk of you catching some horrid disease or infection just isn't worth it. Of course, people who use these drugs really don't give a flip about themselves or anyone else so long as they can get their fix, so although I could see how pot would easily become legal, other drugs shouldn't.
Ben-Jammin
My Little Pony

Postby Zupponn » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:05 pm

I want the drinking age to be reduced back to 18 before I will even think about legalizing marijuana.
Zupponn
Lovable and funny
Lovable and funny

Postby Ben-Jammin » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:10 pm

Zupponn wrote:I want the drinking age to be reduced back to 18 before I will even think about legalizing marijuana.

We had a discussion about that too in my politics class this last year. Most people don't understand why you can vote, buy a gun (rifles), drive a car, OWN a car, smoke/buy tobacco products, and go die for your country at 18 and still not drink alcohol except for some religious purposes. Personally, I agree; I think you should be allowed to drink at 18, even though I don't do so myself.

I think that one reason as to why they won't let you drink at 18 is the fact that when you are drunk, your judgement is significantly impaired. Sure the same thing happens when you get high, but compare someone who's high do someone who's drunk. The effects are more obvious and debilitating.

TL;DR: Go ahead and legalize pot and beer, but no other drugs.
Ben-Jammin
My Little Pony

Postby Silverdream » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:25 pm

Zupponn wrote:I want the drinking age to be reduced back to 14 before I will even think about legalizing marijuana.

Fix'd. If it's lowered to 14, then more people will buy alcohol, the government can get more money from taxes to stimulate the economy. World Economy fix'd.

I'm against the legalization of marijuana for personal reasons that don't apply to most people. I'll go walk my dog in a public park and see a bunch of stoners stumbling through the trees. These people make me very nervous and anxious, and that's when it's easy to avoid them. To see people everywhere smoking weed would ruin my confidence and independence. That being said, I don't have anything against people who smoke pot. If I did I would be judging 90% of the population in BC.

Spoiler: show
mgb519 wrote:Seriously, you are now the first ever forum superhero.

Colette wrote:I hereby acknowledge Silverdream as the one and only forum troll as agreed in the bet.

Quantumsurfer wrote:No, I have 2 silver.
Silverdream
Blockguy

Postby Robot Monkey » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:38 pm

Good point. If they were to legalize marijuana, they should allow the killing of any pot-influenced people, so long as it's in self defense. Honestly, I don't want to get mugged by some stoners. and be unable to do anything. I'd rather shoot them, as apposed to try to find them and go through the necessary legal processes, which they could still get off scott-free.
Robot Monkey
Pooplord

Postby The Black Rabbit » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:49 pm

marijuana if legalized would just be another way of making the public stupid and ignorant of what their govement is doing.
The Black Rabbit
Hero

Postby Insert_blank » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:51 pm

Hey Silva, is the drinking age in Canada also 21? I know in Germany at 16 you can drink wine and beer and 18 everything else. And here in China there is no drinking age. During the Spring Festival I drank wine with a 10 year old kid and everyone thought it was hilarious (Chinese etiquette dictates that you need to get your guest really drunk and well-fed and he took that upon himself, but Chinese etiquette also dictates you can't turn down a cheers from your guest so I got him to stop trying to get me drunk very quickly). But I've heard there's no drinking age mostly because when the grandfathers sit around all day drinking Chinese wine and give the little kids running around a couple yuan to buy a new bottle and maybe some candy for the kid.
萌えを覚えっていますか?
Douse yourself in water and repent.
Insert_blank
Cannon Fodder

Postby Ross_Varn » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:58 pm

Yeah, but underaged drinking in Germany is much more of a serious problem. Kids there are drinking illegally when they're twelve, and as a matter of course, being twelve, they're being even more stupid than teenagers about it. I don't see how that leads to good things...
Ross_Varn
Blockguy

Next

Return to General Discussion