Zombie Playground

For all those games that happen to not be BrikWars

Moderators: Timedude, Olothontor

RagnarokRose
u a MILLION wus and only then shall you become the MISTRESS

Re: Zombie Playground

Post by RagnarokRose » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:45 pm

TF2 and SMNC are both from independent studios who have become a part of the good video game scene. You've been buying independent games from a lot more people than Notch.
she/her | formerly known as ross_varn | exiled for the good of the f.e.l.c.

Whiteagle
whiteeagle problems
whiteeagle problems

Post by Whiteagle » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:31 pm

Ross_Varn wrote:TF2 and SMNC are both from independent studios who have become a part of the good video game scene. You've been buying independent games from a lot more people than Notch.
Yeah, the question is what have this "Massive Black" guys done in the past that warrants giving them gobs of money?
Uber Entertainment and Valve are made up of veteran game developers, while these guys sound like a group of concept artist...

RagnarokRose

Post by RagnarokRose » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:10 pm

Whiteagle wrote:Yeah, the question is what have this "Massive Black" guys done in the past that warrants giving them gobs of money?
Uber Entertainment and Valve are made up of veteran game developers, while these guys sound like a group of concept artist...
Yeah. I got distracted by a tangent. I've no idea what Massive Black's gameplan is, or even if they can make a decent game.

mgb519
My Little Pony

Post by mgb519 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:56 pm

I say we wait to see what they come up with before we judge, one way or the other.
Tzan wrote:
Semaj Nagirrac wrote:Well, I took some land without checking if it was owned by a faction or not. I'm not going to be banned, am I? I can destroy everything if need be.
That's what Hitler said,
in 1938.

Silverdream
Nice use of noise

Post by Silverdream » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:05 am

mgb519 wrote:I say we wait to see what they come up with before we judge, one way or the other.
Too fair, this is Brikwars forums. Let's complain about the lack of sex.
This sig is too fucking large: show anyway
Image lol j/k

RagnarokRose

Post by RagnarokRose » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:30 am

Lack of sex? Meh. We complain about the lack of explosions.

And pictures.

But that's another story altogether.

Zupponn
if you give us money we will give you product

Post by Zupponn » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:09 am

samuelzz10 wrote:
Ross_Varn wrote:
samuelzz10 wrote:I don't see this game working out. I only see a steaming pile of crap that is made by ametuers, rather than a company that has made a name for itself. Just play TF2 or Super Monday night combat.
oh, yes, brilliant, go play the stuff that isn't going to change anything because you don't want to take a risk. Maybe this game won't work out, but you really must not be paying attention if you've been ignoring the stuff on the independent developer scene recently. This attitude is why E3's public panels were ninety percent of the same gun-toting, copy-pasted crap that we've been seeing for the last several years.
I have played a few indie games. Minecraft, Terraria, and Magicka. But you see Ross, Notch started programming at the age of seven, so I know when I buy from him it will probably be a good game.
Yes, indie games generally tend to be good when the creators are programmers first and artists second, and not the other way around. If there's a mix of programmers and artists, then that tends to work also.

Keldoclock
My Little Pony

Post by Keldoclock » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:23 pm

samuelzz10 wrote: Notch started programming at the age of seven, so I know when I buy from him it will probably be a good game.
I've been programming since the age of two (apparently my dad managed to teach me a bit of Visual BASIC, I remember nothing), and I'm not very good at it. Minecraft is actually pretty terrible from a UI and kinesthetics standpoint.

Not sure if :troll: or samuelzz10 being boneriffic.
stubby wrote:omg noob, balrogs are maiars too, don't you know anything

samuelzz10
n00b
n00b

Post by samuelzz10 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:24 pm

Keldoclock wrote:
samuelzz10 wrote: Notch started programming at the age of seven, so I know when I buy from him it will probably be a good game.
I've been programming since the age of two (apparently my dad managed to teach me a bit of Visual BASIC, I remember nothing), and I'm not very good at it. Minecraft is actually pretty terrible from a UI and kinesthetics standpoint.

Not sure if :troll: or samuelzz10 being boneriffic.
Well, I know I'm not boneriffic, but I sure as hell know I don't know what a UI is.
Spoiler
Show
my old sig
WARNING: Posts in forum may have been edited by forum

Zupponn

Post by Zupponn » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:22 pm

User Interface

RagnarokRose

Post by RagnarokRose » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:50 pm

That rather important facet that lets you interact with the game engine.

It's also why Facebook is crap on a cracker. Bad user interface.

muffinman42
Dimmy

Post by muffinman42 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:17 am

Minecraft's user interface isn't terrible, It's the bugs and how they never get fixed which is terrible. Minecarts haven't worked for about 6 months, what dose mojang work on? Recolouring wood.

I would trust a homeless person to develop a game more than mojang after what happened to minecraft after notch left the team.
Kerbal Rocketry(my youtube with actual videos on it!)

Muffinman aka. second account of Tahthing. Not technically troll account, as it was made out of shame.

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Post by stubby » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:10 am

muffinman42 wrote:Minecraft's user interface isn't terrible, It's the bugs and how they never get fixed which is terrible. Minecarts haven't worked for about 6 months, what dose mojang work on? Recolouring wood.
Having worked on at least a couple of construction games, I'll go on record to say that the left-click right-click UI that makes up 99% of Minecraft is among the all-time best in terms of immediacy and intuitiveness. Minecraft's interface only starts to fall apart in the other 1% of the game where you're forced to use one of the GUIs.

Also, having worked on a couple of games, if you pull a guy off of recoloring wood and redistribute those resources to minecart programming, you're not going to have a good time. Texture artists aren't functional engineers, these are not equivalent assets. (I know everyone here knows this already, but you would be AMAZED how many toy company executives don't, no matter how many times you explain it to them.) The reason the engineers aren't working on minecarts is because there are way more important functional issues to prioritize first. Who even uses minecarts? They're practically useless except for roller coastering.
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?

knolli
Dimmy

Post by knolli » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:33 pm

stubby wrote: Who even uses minecarts? They're practically useless except for roller coastering.
Well, that would be one point to work on. There are mods that add new functions to minecarts that actually make them usefull. For example Better that Wolves or Buildcraft provide the possibility to automatically fill items into chests and even into chests on minecarts. You can use this for automated transport, which can be quite usefull.

But there hasn't been any noticable addition to the tech tree since the brewing stand (which was a pretty useless one, if you ask me).

Funny how this discussion drifted off to Minecraft.
Ross_Varn wrote:Knolli is awesome.

Robot Monkey
My Little Pony

Post by Robot Monkey » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:07 pm

Doesn't vanilla MC have chest carts to put crap in and powered carts to push them already? That's a pretty damn good way of sending stuff places.