Consciousness

You know, whatever

Moderators: Blitzen, Silent-sigfig, Almighty Benny

Re: Consciousness

Postby Keldoclock » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:03 pm

Natalya wrote:
Keldoclock wrote:Well, since apparently you have only just discovered the whole "my perceptions do not line up exactly with reality" thing,

No I didn't just discover this.

You've made a lot of posts on the topic recently, that and politics threads that have the same general tone.
Natalya wrote:
Keldoclock wrote:Also, now that you mentioned it, why are you the only one on the forum that gets away with colored text?

Because I'm the only one who decided to do it. Nothing is stopping you from using coloured text.

On an internet forum generally colored text is only used when moderators edit posts to prevent goatse anus rainbows and difficult reading. Generally colored text is used by very young users(I have been guilty of using green text for no reason in the past and was even once banned for it)
stubby wrote:omg noob, balrogs are maiars too, don't you know anything
Keldoclock
Pooplord

Postby Ross_Varn » Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:36 am

Keldoclock wrote:
Natalya wrote:
Keldoclock wrote:Well, since apparently you have only just discovered the whole "my perceptions do not line up exactly with reality" thing,

You've made a lot of posts on the topic recently, that and politics threads that have the same general tone.

Fun fact- I was once and still kind of am really preoccupied with the transmission of light and thought and the repercussions coming from the fact that those things are not truly instant, leading to an actual delay in the relay of real-world information to our rational, meaning that everyone everywhere at once is always just behind what is happening around them. It's a disconnect between the mind and reality, and those dindividual perceptions of reality are pretty damn compelling, to me at least. I feel that I can more freely articulate and relate the thoughts and perceptions I have had now than I have been able to in the past.
Ross_Varn
Blockguy

Postby Keldoclock » Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:51 am

I've never been too phased by the fact that my view of the world and time is a lie- I understand that my datagathering tools are imperfect and have just decided to live with the fact that I may make errors due to false data. The fact that my mind constructs things that are generally helpful but occasionally problematic (seeing faces where there are none, McGurk Effect, w/e) is okay too, I can't rewrite my own programming.
stubby wrote:omg noob, balrogs are maiars too, don't you know anything
Keldoclock
Pooplord

Postby IVhorseman » Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:08 pm

My pain medicine puts me into some pretty fucking strange dream-states. Things like Oxymorphone and Percocet and shit would make it really easy to hold just a loose strand of reality around while I was laid up in the hospital - Oxymorphone specifically got me to start seeing this creepy guy with a rosebud for a head and in a rose-colored suit start peeking around the corner of my hospital curtains and shit.
IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Postby Blitzen » Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:01 pm

Ross_Varn wrote:
Keldoclock wrote:
Natalya wrote:

Fun fact- I was once and still kind of am really preoccupied with the transmission of light and thought and the repercussions coming from the fact that those things are not truly instant, leading to an actual delay in the relay of real-world information to our rational, meaning that everyone everywhere at once is always just behind what is happening around them. It's a disconnect between the mind and reality, and those dindividual perceptions of reality are pretty damn compelling, to me at least. I feel that I can more freely articulate and relate the thoughts and perceptions I have had now than I have been able to in the past.

Sensory input isn't instantaneous, either. It takes a (very small) amount of time for nervous information to travel to your brain, meaning that none of your perceptions ever reflect reality. The delay is so minute that you don't notice, but it exists. I wonder how the time it takes light to get to your eyes compares with the time it takes for that information to travel to and be interpreted by your brain.
Often, literally, a pillow fight but may include similar situations like volleyball, particularly when wardrobe is skimpy and the action is bouncy.
Blitzen
Distinguished Owner of the English Language

Postby Zupponn » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:41 am

IVhorseman wrote:My pain medicine puts me into some pretty fucking strange dream-states. Things like Oxymorphone and Percocet and shit would make it really easy to hold just a loose strand of reality around while I was laid up in the hospital - Oxymorphone specifically got me to start seeing this creepy guy with a rosebud for a head and in a rose-colored suit start peeking around the corner of my hospital curtains and shit.

I bet that's not all he did. :warhead:
Zupponn
Lovable and funny
Lovable and funny

Postby mgb519 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:12 am

At least it wasn't pyramid head.
Tzan wrote:
Semaj Nagirrac wrote:Well, I took some land without checking if it was owned by a faction or not. I'm not going to be banned, am I? I can destroy everything if need be.

That's what Hitler said,
in 1938.
mgb519
Pooplord

Postby Natalya » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:16 pm

mgb519 wrote:At least it wasn't pyramid head.

We have a winrar!!
  ▲
▲ ▲

"Each night alone I dream, that I'm a rebel Roller Queen‼
I'll be a star that shines, I can make the whole world mine‼"

Natalya
Tremble in awe, for I am become Admin, Banner of Noobs.
Tremble in awe, for I am become Admin, Banner of Noobs.

Postby muffinman42 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:00 pm

I am revoking your pun rights.
You are under a vest for crimes against puns.
muffinman42
Mega Blok

Postby IX_Legion » Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:44 am

Zupponn wrote:I swear I dream about stuff that's going to happen 3-7 days from now.

Also, along the same lines as Ross's ghost image thing, if you lay down on a bed or couch and then convince yourself that you're on a hammock or ship or something that rocks, then you're mind will create the sensation of rocking for you.

Occasionally I'll see something that I haven't seen before and I will have a deja-vu moment. It only lasts for a second (generally it's a memory of an instantaneous image), but I've had one or two that went maybe 5-10 seconds. I don't know whether I've dreamed it, or what...

And I know it's not just that I have seen it before, because the first time it happened was at school in 6th grade, and it was the arrangement of papers on my desk. Exactly how they were scattered on the desk.

I've also had my brain convince itself of a ghost image, without any input from me. Last week, I was spending some time on sailboats, and even when I was back on land it felt like the ground was swaying, like a ship on the water does.
This should be in the Rulebook somewhere:

"Any problem on earth can be solved with the careful application of high explosives"
-Valkyrie (the movie)
IX_Legion
Minifig

Postby Ross_Varn » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:10 pm

IX_Legion wrote:I've also had my brain convince itself of a ghost image, without any input from me. Last week, I was spending some time on sailboats, and even when I was back on land it felt like the ground was swaying, like a ship on the water does.

That's actually normal for everyone- the other way around is why people get seasick.
Ross_Varn
Blockguy

Previous

Return to General Discussion