Monster Fighters Released

Creations, construction techniques, and news from the world of plastic toys

Moderators: Dr. X, ikensall, fredde

Zahru II
I kinda like it if the lady's dominant...

Re: Monster Fighters Released

Post by Zahru II » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:24 pm

Idunno, but I'm noticing a trend of color-coded for your convenience, best example could be the new UCS R2D2; under the nice white casing there lurks a rainbow of internal bricks, and I don't understand why. Maybe kids get confused if everything is the same color and it's harder to follow in the manual? I don't know.
My stuff: Medivo / Armylists / Battles / SPACE

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Post by stubby » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:49 pm

On the one hand I completely agree, and have been known to describe Monster Fighters as Time Twisters 2012. On the other hand Friends is selling like CRAZY - stores can't keep them on the shelves - so maybe LEGO's marketing dudes know something we don't. Only time will tell if Monster Fighters shows the same sales curve.

As for weird colors inside constructions - I know they make a lot of concessions to make things easier for kids, but I also know that some colors are way cheaper to produce than others, especially if they're already doing production runs of that brick in that color for other sets.
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?

The Black Rabbit
Champion
Champion

Post by The Black Rabbit » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:30 pm

Zahru II wrote:Idunno, but I'm noticing a trend of color-coded for your convenience, best example could be the new UCS R2D2; under the nice white casing there lurks a rainbow of internal bricks, and I don't understand why. Maybe kids get confused if everything is the same color and it's harder to follow in the manual? I don't know.
With the R2-D2 it kinda works. The random colours make it look like the mess of wires and circuitry in a real robot.

Zahru II

Post by Zahru II » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:51 pm

Time Twisters 2012
Now that's a line I'd love to see make a comeback! Anyway, nice to hear that Friends is selling so well.
My stuff: Medivo / Armylists / Battles / SPACE

Zupponn
if you give us money we will give you product
if you give us money we will give you product

Post by Zupponn » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:23 pm

I actually like the randomness of the colors in the Monster Fighters set. It shows that the set is wild and zany and fun. The colors sort of remind me of the wild colors from the old Pirates line, which I was a fan of. I like it when Lego doesn't take their sets too seriously.

RagnarokRose
u a MILLION wus and only then shall you become the MISTRESS
u a MILLION wus and only then shall you become the MISTRESS

Post by RagnarokRose » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:05 am

I do know that the Friends line seems to be quite attractive to little kids in general- they have a tendency to either be staring at it or be dragging their mom back to convince them to buy a set whenever I see the display.
she/her | formerly known as ross_varn | exiled for the good of the f.e.l.c.

Ben-Jammin
Mega Blok

Post by Ben-Jammin » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:03 am

Zahru II wrote:
Time Twisters 2012
Now that's a line I'd love to see make a comeback! Anyway, nice to hear that Friends is selling so well.
Yes, we all want some new dimmies to slay.

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Post by IVhorseman » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:49 pm

There's two reasons these come as rainbow pieces of crap.

1) little kids fucking love colors. As a little kid, my favorite color was rainbow ( :oops: ), and most of my friends had the same preference. The more colors on something, the more visually distracting it is. And little kids eat that shit up. You know how it says like ages 7+ on all the boxes? Yup. They're the target audience who has to beg and plead with their parents to buy them one - you probably have a job and will buy it anyways because of the minifigs.

2) Having the interiors of sets being rainbow colors gives you a MUCH greater color diversity when you do eventually take the set apart. I mean sure, I guess it'd be cool if all of my sets just came in shades of gray, but I wouldn't have nearly the amount of red or blue or yellow bricks as I do. When all those random pieces start adding up from all the random sets you get, you start having pretty good proportions of all the colors, not just the colors of the sets you got. Sounds like a winning deal to me.

IX_Legion
Minifig

Post by IX_Legion » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:43 pm

It always threw me, though... I would be building a model, and there'd be a random blue 2x4 brick in the middle. It usually wasn't visible when the model was done, or if it was it was where the driver sat, but it just seemed a little random...
This should be in the Rulebook somewhere:

"Any problem on earth can be solved with the careful application of high explosives"
-Valkyrie (the movie)

mercury19
different
Location: The dark corners of my brooding, angst filled mind.

Post by mercury19 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:35 pm

IX_Legion wrote:It always threw me, though... I would be building a model, and there'd be a random blue 2x4 brick in the middle. It usually wasn't visible when the model was done, or if it was it was where the driver sat, but it just seemed a little random...
I know exactly how you feel.
Ask now what I'm doing, even for me :mystery:

Tzan wrote:
"The frontiers of space are a giant sausage fest." ~ Admiral Ackbar

http://brikwars.com/wiki/index.php?titl ... han_Empire the Avokhan article

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:53 pm

Believe me, so do I. It feels wrong all the way up until it's done, and even sometimes a bit after. I always end up taking everything apart though, so it's never wrong for long.

Keldoclock
My Little Pony

Post by Keldoclock » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:20 pm

IVhorseman wrote:Believe me, so do I. It feels wrong all the way up until it's done, and even sometimes a bit after.
:|
stubby wrote:omg noob, balrogs are maiars too, don't you know anything