Microscope Forum RPG - DAMMIT, LET ME DIE FIRST

For all those games that happen to not be BrikWars

Moderators: Timedude, Olothontor

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Re: Microscope Forum RPG

Post by IVhorseman » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:44 am

Arkbrik wrote:When you say no to "Timespan requires new characters to be created", do you mean it should all take place in a single human lifetime? I disagree, I think the history should span at least centuries.
I Agree. Imagine Humanity as a fire, that slowly burns down and extinguishes itself.

YES:
Humans make an attempt to go to the nearest galaxy - all who go are never seen or heard from again (EXODUS)
FTL warp drives for 2-3 week "average" travel time

NO:
self-aware robot bullshit
Hope

Arkbrik
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by Arkbrik » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:12 am

Silverdream, use your own account instead of hacking IVhorseman. It can get confusing.

mgb519
My Little Pony

Post by mgb519 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:51 am

What I really meant that I wanted some persistent characters of some sort, somehow. My fault for not stating that clearly.
Tzan wrote:
Semaj Nagirrac wrote:Well, I took some land without checking if it was owned by a faction or not. I'm not going to be banned, am I? I can destroy everything if need be.
That's what Hitler said,
in 1938.

Arkbrik
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by Arkbrik » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:30 am

Well, if you come to like any particular characters in the history you can always go back to them and explore their lives some more. All characters are "persistent" in the sense that once they appear in the history, they're there forever (gamewise). Of course they can die, but then you can always explore some point earlier in their life.

mgb519
My Little Pony

Post by mgb519 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:00 pm

Ignoring the fact that he's not Silver, I think his no kinda contradicts my yes. How do we decide which gets precedence?
Tzan wrote:
Semaj Nagirrac wrote:Well, I took some land without checking if it was owned by a faction or not. I'm not going to be banned, am I? I can destroy everything if need be.
That's what Hitler said,
in 1938.

Arkbrik
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by Arkbrik » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:19 pm

By either stopping ignoring that he's not Silver, and thereby disregarding him; or discussing the matter. I think hope is a way too big thing to ban because that makes everything depressing all the time. Which is boring.

Silverdream
Nice use of noise

Post by Silverdream » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:41 pm

Yes
-Bloody, violent war for an irrelevant reason that is a catalyst for the end.
-Bittersweet or somewhat upbeat ending

No
-Zombies
-Glamorizing the giant conflict

Sorry I'm late.
This sig is too fucking large: show anyway
Image lol j/k

Arkbrik
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by Arkbrik » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:51 pm

Those all look fine to me. Do you have any objections, mgb?

mgb519
My Little Pony

Post by mgb519 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:00 pm

Nope. Part of me wants there to be survivors at the end, somehow.
Tzan wrote:
That's what Hitler said,
in 1938.

Arkbrik
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by Arkbrik » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:49 pm

Ok, we have our full Palette.

YES
Unintelligent alien life
Religious fanaticism
Period of prosperity following exploration but preceding civil war
The end takes place in 1-2 years, tops
Has some persistent Characters
Bloody, violent war for an irrelevant reason that is a catalyst for the end.
Bittersweet or somewhat upbeat ending

NO
Intelligent alien life
Extinct alien civilizations
Downer ending
Zombies
Glamorizing the giant conflict

With this, all group decisions are over. For the rest of the game, each player makes their own decisions, and has huge creative power. The rules strongly recommend that you do not give or ask for suggestions for what to do. When everyone contributes their own ideas the result is much more unique.

Now we are going to play the First Pass, which is a special turn where everyone gets to create one Period or Event. You can't make Scenes in this turn. Players can go in any order. This is the only turn where you can make up absolutely whatever you want; later turns will have Focuses on particular things, so use this to get your best ideas into the history.

If you want to make a Period, give it a name and a short description, say whether it's Light (happy) or Dark (sad), and where it fits on the timeline - as in, between which two already placed Periods does it take place.

If you want to make an Event, give it a name and a short description, say whether it's Light or Dark, and during which Period it takes place. If there already are Events in that Period, say which other Event it takes place before or after.

An important thing about Periods and especially Events is that you must declare the outcome of what happens. Eg. if there's a war, tell us who wins it.

No matter how many Periods or Events in a Period there are, you can always squeeze in new ones wherever you wish in the order.

---

I'll start by creating a Period:

The Quantum Conquest - DARK
The Church of the Quantum Mechanic conquers dozens of worlds to spread their worship of the all-powerful Uncertainty.

This goes between the Reaching and the End (obviously).

Silverdream
Nice use of noise

Post by Silverdream » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:58 pm

Euginidian Era -LIGHT
The Euginides Dynasty unites all worlds in a Monarchial Meritocracy, causing peace and prosperity.

This goes between The Reaching and The Quantum Conquest.
This sig is too fucking large: show anyway
Image lol j/k

mgb519
My Little Pony

Post by mgb519 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:40 pm

The Starmetal Age- LIGHT
People discover the potenial of various minerals and other substances found in outer space, and an era population growth, scientific breakthrough, and cultural prosperity follows. Occurs before the Euginidian Era.
Tzan wrote:
That's what Hitler said,
in 1938.

Arkbrik
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by Arkbrik » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:58 am

All right. Before we proceed, we need to decide how we are going to play Scenes. I'll explain them here.

A Scene takes place during an Event. All Scenes begin with a Question, and are played until the Question has been answered. The player who makes the Scene states the Question, and then sets the stage for the Scene: when and where it happens, when it occurs in relation to other Scenes in the same event, and what is happening when the Scene begins.

Next, characters are chosen. The Scene-creator can require up to two characters that someone must play in the scene, and ban up to two characters that no one is allowed to play. You can require or ban specific individuals, or categories of people, eg. "no one can play a soldier in this scene". You can not ban groups based on what they not are, so you can't say "no one can play a character that's not a soldier". Everyone then gets to pick a character, in the opposite order of normal play, and the Scene-creator gets the last pick. All required characters must be chosen by someone.

Before starting to play, every player reveals what their character is thinking as the Scene begins. Thoughts are revealed in the same order as characters were picked. The revealed thoughts can't answer the Question. Eg. if the Question is "Why is Bob afraid of visiting Death City?", Bob's player can't reveal his thoughts to be "Bob is scared of the Death City gangsters" or something like that.

Scenes are played as follows:

- Role-play what your character does and thinks. If someone tries to do something to your character, eg. shooting them, kissing them, stabbing them, you describe the outcome.

- Shape the world by describing what your character perceives and how they react to it. Eg. if you want a bunch of soldiers to storm the place, you say "My character sees a bunch of soldiers storm the place, and says 'Hooray! We are saved!'" You must always include your character's reaction to what they perceive.

- Introduce and play secondary characters as needed. Any players can bring in and take control of new characters as the Scene is played. Unlike the primary characters, anyone can do whatever they want to these characters, and describe the outcome themselves.

- If another player makes something happen outside their character, but you have a different idea of how the Scene should go, you can Push to change it; you suggest an alternative, and everyone votes to see which one happens.

- The Scene is over as soon as the Question is answered. Even if it's in the middle of something super exciting. If someone wants to see more of it, they'll have to make their own Scene. After the Scene, the players decide whether it was Light or Dark.

An alternative to playing a Scene is to make a Dictated Scene. In this case, the Scene-creator makes a Question and describes the scene on their own, until the Question has been answered.

---

So, how are we going to play our Scenes? I think the best way would be to meet in some chat to play. The BrikWars chat, maybe? No one else is using it.

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:48 am

Arkbrik wrote:Silverdream, use your own account instead of hacking IVhorseman. It can get confusing.
:wtf: uh... no that was me. I didn't realize my word was law, I was just throwing suggestions out there and trying to make a case for a brutal, dark world of the withering of man. I guess I missed my chance for events, but here's my question:

What attempts were made to leave the Milky Way Galaxy?

The Quetzalcoatl, led by the newly-appointed Admiral Karl Shelly began to drift to the edge of the star map, slowly but surely. An ember floated off of the end of his cigar, which illuminated the otherwise dark command room in the bridge. All non-essential life support systems have been shut down to mask the refugee's presence from the Quantum Mechanic fleets that were hunting down so-called traitors.

Nell O'hare was the only woman crazy enough to go with him and try and do something to save a small fleet of survivors from one of the Church's recent conquests. It has branded them heretics, but in their eyes, this mission is worth far more than their lives. She in particular has become entranced by a dream that perhaps places outside of our galaxy could possibly have life, as well as provide refuge from the Church of Man. Karl is skeptical, but he has vowed to remain faithful to his woman.

And yet this gamble may already be lost - three Holy Starships appear out of the warp only a few thousand miles away! The Quetzalcoatl and her entourage is assuredly within range of their sensors, but if they actually picked up any of the hidden refugee fleet it is still too early to tell.

THE SCENE:
Time: The Quantum Conquest
Characters: Karl, Nell, (suggest others)
Situation: Two destroyers and a battleship (armed with a singularity cannon) at moderate distance from five hidden refugee ships. The Quetzalcoatl is a top-secret exploration vessel that can travel at untested record-breaking speeds much faster than light when in extremely deep space, as well as project a field around it to carry the other lifeboats. They are four mismatched freighters armed with very small point defense cannons. The Quetzalcoatl itself is unarmed. The region of space around them orbits a small, dying star with only one rocky planet orbiting it, as well as a large cloud of asteroids.

amidoinitrite?

Arkbrik
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by Arkbrik » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:53 am

Uh, sorry, but you're not actually in this game.