WIP need help!

Creations, construction techniques, and news from the world of plastic toys

Moderators: Dr. X, ikensall, fredde

halo 3000
I though bringing it up might possibly get me one

WIP need help!

Post by halo 3000 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:33 am

Hey guys, working on building one of these

just started, but kinda stuck. I was hoping I could get some advice.

Here is what I have so far.

I'm not too happy with the lower leg. I feel I did alright with the upper part, but the lower just looks bland.

Back view. Don't mind my flamethrower guy back there.

From the top. Sorry about the size.

Here it is in size relation to some of my troops.

Any advice?
"My name is Art Vandelay. I'm an architect."~George Costanza

Zupponn
if you give us money we will give you product
if you give us money we will give you product

Re: WIP need help!

Post by Zupponn » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:56 am

Maybe try to close that front toe somehow, and beef up the heel?

morganm
Dimmy

Post by morganm » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:17 am

You'll notice on the outside of the lower leg in the reference picture there's some interesting detail there. Looks like some access panels or armour plates or something. Then look at the same spot on your leg; no such details. Try to replicate some of that detail on your leg to spruce up the bland wall of flat blocks.

Also that yellow hazard plate looks really out of place. There's no other yellow in the build (yet?) and it clashes with the orange.

Other than that it's really coming along nicely!

RoC77
Galidor
Galidor
Location: PEACH! The offical lotion of strippers across the country......

Post by RoC77 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:23 am

I'd be more concerned about it's stability, the toes look like they're cosmetic and can't take a load very well. I'd focus on getting the upper done to check the load on the legs. You can always greeble it up after.

halo 3000

Post by halo 3000 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:25 am

Maybe try to close that front toe somehow, and beef up the heel?
The front toes are separated in the reference pictures, but you are right, I need to beef up the heel.
Try to replicate some of that detail on your leg to spruce up the bland wall of flat blocks.
You are right. I tried doing something like this while I was building it, but got fed up and quit. The way I built the lower part is pretty convoluted and didn't allow for much greebling I though about using stickers, but don't have any on hand, and don't know which ones would look good. It would be cool if I had an actual working panel there. just imagine an enemy soldier running up, opening the panel, and dropping a grenade inside.
I'd be more concerned about it's stability, the toes look like they're cosmetic and can't take a load very well.
You are absolutely right. The toes are 100% cosmetic. The foot was pretty hastily built and i'm relying on a 2x4 brick with smooth plated on the bottom for my connection with the ground. what bricks would you use to make the toes take more of the weight, while still allowing them to move?
I'd focus on getting the upper done to check the load on the legs.
That's what I was thinking. I need to build the other leg, then the middle joint.

I might just end up rebuilding the bottom leg from scratch. What do you guys think? Keep the suggestions coming!

aoffan23
You can nail me with your wood. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
You can nail me with your wood. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Post by aoffan23 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:44 pm

morganm wrote:You'll notice on the outside of the lower leg in the reference picture there's some interesting detail there. Looks like some access panels or armour plates or something. Then look at the same spot on your leg; no such details. Try to replicate some of that detail on your leg to spruce up the bland wall of flat blocks.

This was going to be my suggestion. There's a really easy way to do it, too. Just take a couple of these:

Then put them on some bricks/plates with bars, and just work it into the leg. It may not be functional, but it will look nice.
Spoiler
Show
Tzan wrote:
Quantumsurfer wrote:I generally agree with Tzan
Warhead wrote:I agree with QuantumSmurfer.
I agree with Warhead.

RoC77
Galidor
Galidor
Location: PEACH! The offical lotion of strippers across the country......

Post by RoC77 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:31 pm

You have a couple of options, you could either make the toes static & unmovable which will defenatly give you a solid base (moveable toe look nice but not really needed). Or increase the surface area of the bottom of the foot where the toes meet (it looks like you only have a 2x4 area that touches the floor securely) but the problem with that is how much more can you increase it without looking odd. And lastly you can try and limit the movement of the toes. Make them only capable of pointing downward but limit it's upward movement to being flat and flush with the rest of the foot.

lorbaat
Minifig

Post by lorbaat » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:49 pm

aoffan23 wrote:
morganm wrote:You'll notice on the outside of the lower leg in the reference picture there's some interesting detail there. Looks like some access panels or armour plates or something. Then look at the same spot on your leg; no such details. Try to replicate some of that detail on your leg to spruce up the bland wall of flat blocks.

This was going to be my suggestion. There's a really easy way to do it, too. Just take a couple of these:

Then put them on some bricks/plates with bars, and just work it into the leg. It may not be functional, but it will look nice.

That's a good one. I was thinking put bricks with studs on the side in the leg, make the panels out of plates or tiles.

morganm
Dimmy

Post by morganm » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:34 pm

Yeah; like one of these: Image
http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=30414

Replace that 1x4 brick in the center. Gives you plenty of studs to work with and even holes in them for taps / rods.

The_Hopeful
Champion
Champion

Post by The_Hopeful » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:49 pm

As said before, use SNoT to texture up that lower leg. Maybe use some of those "vent" 1x2 tiles?

Ben-Jammin
Mega Blok

Post by Ben-Jammin » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:01 pm

That leg looks sexy.

mgb519
My Little Pony

Post by mgb519 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:16 pm

Ben-Jammin wrote:That leg looks sexy.
Why, are you attracted to it? Just checking, you know.
Tzan wrote:
Semaj Nagirrac wrote:Well, I took some land without checking if it was owned by a faction or not. I'm not going to be banned, am I? I can destroy everything if need be.
That's what Hitler said,
in 1938.

Keldoclock
My Little Pony

Post by Keldoclock » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:13 pm

mgb51 wrote: Why, are you attracted to it? Just checking, you know.
This is the worst post
stubby wrote:omg noob, balrogs are maiars too, don't you know anything

halo 3000

Post by halo 3000 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:52 pm

Hey guys. Just an update.

Greebled up the lower leg and completely redesigned the foot. Really happy with it now.

View from the front. the toes now actually help balance the leg. The whole foot now connects with the ground.

Had to take some wire cutters to that one piece. No regrets!

Now I'm gonna make the left leg. My next problem is getting this part:

To actually move without it falling over. Needs some friction for it to stand, but needs to be movable. Any thoughts?

That leg looks sexy.
I thought about turning it into a lamp.

I took that into consideration, but I realized I only have maybe one of those.

Ben-Jammin
Mega Blok

Post by Ben-Jammin » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:01 pm

halo 3000 wrote:I thought about turning it into a lamp.
Nice.

In all seriousness, it looks pretty good so far; the addition of greebles only makes it better. Is that walker come kind of cross-breed between the BF2142 walkers and the new Hawken mecha? It looks pretty cool, can't wait to see it in lego. The toes are really cool.