Traps

Rules questions, suggestions, and discussion

Moderators: Pwnerade, IVhorseman

LivingRaccoon
Champion
Champion

Traps

Post by LivingRaccoon » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:50 pm

I've come to thinking, how would traps work? Do they insta-kill, heroic feats to disarm? 1d4-6 roll on detection? How do you guys think traps would work? Thanks!

Rocket Raccoon is the coolest Marvel Character.

Zupponn
if you give us money we will give you product
if you give us money we will give you product

Re: Traps

Post by Zupponn » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:03 pm

:fudge:

Also, that pic is awesome.

Thesson
Cannon Fodder

Post by Thesson » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:24 pm

It depends: Mine turtle or slow sheep?

LivingRaccoon
Champion
Champion

Post by LivingRaccoon » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:37 pm

Thanks, any suggestions?

Rocket Raccoon is the coolest Marvel Character.

aoffan23
You can nail me with your wood. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Post by aoffan23 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:20 pm

Here's how I think they should work:

Every trap has a Difficulty Rating (number) and a Damage Rating (die roll). The Difficulty Rating represents the skill roll needed to evade it. If a minifig rolls double the trap's Difficulty Rating (using crit successes if necessary), the trap does not go off at all, signifying that the minifig either sneaked past it, or just got really lucky and managed to avoid the trigger without even knowing there was a trap there. If it hits, roll for damage and armour as usual.

Example: evading a trap that involves lava pouring out of a wall would be quite easy to evade (seeing as it flows slowly), but a high Damage Rating from being incredibly hot. On the other hand, a dart trap would be quite difficult to evade (since they fly pretty damn quick out of the walls), but have a low damage rating since they're weaker than a standard pistol. Then there are trap have both a very high Difficulty and Damage Rating, such as a lightning trap.
Spoiler
Show
Tzan wrote:
Quantumsurfer wrote:I generally agree with Tzan
Warhead wrote:I agree with QuantumSmurfer.
I agree with Warhead.

Predator
Dimmy

Post by Predator » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:00 am

Thesson wrote:It depends: Mine turtle or slow sheep?
Mine Turtle.
mr.duckie wrote:
SirCheese wrote:I will be neutral. (Cuz I don't want to make enemies)
Get Him!!!! :fist:
This sig is too fucking large: show anyway
Silverdream wrote:Gaze upon my cyan complexion
And fall in love with my flying perfection
I am a pegasus of awesomeness shaped by sonic rainbooms
Sonic Rainbooms
All over my sky.

Thesson
Cannon Fodder

Post by Thesson » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:57 am

1d10 explosive as soon as he TOUCHES it.

Predator
Dimmy

Post by Predator » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:23 pm

Thesson wrote:1d10 explosive as soon as he TOUCHES it.
But what if it says 'Hello!' , detaches from the ceiling and hits the floor, button first?
mr.duckie wrote:
SirCheese wrote:I will be neutral. (Cuz I don't want to make enemies)
Get Him!!!! :fist:
This sig is too fucking large: show anyway
Silverdream wrote:Gaze upon my cyan complexion
And fall in love with my flying perfection
I am a pegasus of awesomeness shaped by sonic rainbooms
Sonic Rainbooms
All over my sky.

Thesson
Cannon Fodder

Post by Thesson » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:03 pm

No, then you're already screwed.

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Post by IVhorseman » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:41 pm

the chapter about traps wrote:Mechanisms
Devices and Creations purchased as normal, default 1d4 Skill where applicable
Triggers and Mechanisms free
Not all battlefield hazards are based on environmental conditions. Every once in a while, minifigs have the time and attention span to assemble something more deliberate and specific. Defense turrets, slamming blast doors, rolling boulders, strategically positioned sleeping tigers, auto-flushing toilets - any Creation, Weapon, or Device that can be activated can be engineered into a custom Mechanism, operating independently or in coordination with other Field Hazards.

Mechanizing an activatable object costs nothing extra - once the object itself is paid for, the Mechanisms are free. Mechanisms are not capable of initiative or independent thought, so players have to be specific about the exact conditions that activate a Mechanism, and its behavior once activated.

Triggers
Mechanisms are often attached to Concealed Hazard Fields - hidden pressure plates, motion detectors, tripwires, or some equivalent are scattered throughout the area, and tripping one of them will set off the device. (By default, concealed weapon traps are automatically pointed at the spot where the Hazard happens to be tripped. Even if the players don't know in advance exactly where the tripwires are, the minifigs who built the trap presumably did.)

Other Mechanisms are activated by specific Triggers. Any object physically represented on the battlefield can be designated as a Trigger for one or more Mechanisms. Minifigs may be required to interact with the object in a certain way (typing the proper code into a keypad, turning the arming keys before pulling the self-destruct lever, or playing a particular tune on a skeletal pipe organ), or the Trigger may be set off by any interaction at all (a doorknob wired with a mercury switch). Like all Mechanisms, Triggers have no extra cost.

Some triggers are obvious ( the comedically oversized power switch, or the giant red "DO NOT PUSH" button), but many are not (the disguised torch lever that opens the secret door, the doorknob that sets off the hidden fireball trap). In theory, opposing minifigs won't know the location of these secret Triggers, but in most cases all the players will, unless the game has an impartial moderator to keep secrets secret. Often, the easiest workaround for secret Triggers (as well as other types of hidden objects) is to build a large number of potential Triggers, and roll dice whenever one is tried to see if it's the real one.

Multiple Mechanisms
Mechanisms can be bought in multiples, and, depending on the Hazard concept, the multiples can be handled in different ways. If a player buys three tigers for his Field of Concealed Hazard pit traps, then all three might be waiting in the first pit an enemy falls into, there might be one in each of the first three pits encountered, or the player might roll randomly for each pit until all three tigers have been located. This is largely up to the player setting the trap, but should be spelled out in advance of starting the battle.

Alternately, the same Trigger might activate a series of different Mechanisms each time it's set off. For example, the first pull of a suicide lever might slam the doors and lock you into the chamber, while the second deploys a row of motion-tracking rifles from the wall. The third pull extends a mechanical arm to offer a cigarette and a blindfold, and so forth.

Deadly Mechanisms
Any Mechanism designed to directly damage or attack a target should be purchased as a Weapon. A two-story granite sphere is just a big rock, but once it's rigged up as part of a rolling boulder trap, it becomes a Size 5" Melee Weapon and should be purchased as such.

Deadly Mechanisms are, for the most part, single-use (until reset by a minifig technician - those hidden crossbows don't re-arm themselves), and they make their Attacks with an inanimate object's default 1d4 Skill. A Smart Weapon, equipped with simple robot brains or magical enchantments, can Attack with a Skill of 1d6 and can often be re-used from turn to turn. Smart Weapons can be treated as a kind of Simple Half-Minded Creature (10.1: Minds), but for simplicity's sake it's easier to just say that a Smart Weapon costs +1CP more than the dumb variety.
Long story short: most traps have 1d4 skill when skill comes into play, and triggers will be pretty specific to whatever trap is set up. I'm guessing the trigger for the pictured trap is anyone knocking over the stick, and once that happens they become encased in box.

aoffan23

Post by aoffan23 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:21 pm

Oh, there's a chapter for them? LOL I should read the rules more often.
Spoiler
Show
Tzan wrote:
Quantumsurfer wrote:I generally agree with Tzan
Warhead wrote:I agree with QuantumSmurfer.
I agree with Warhead.

Gungnir
Jaw-Jaw

Post by Gungnir » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:26 pm

I usually just buy mines and the like as explosives with a different kind of fuse. Instead of it going off after a certain amount of time, I have the explosion triggered by an event.
"Whenever a minifig walks within X inches of that," or "whenever this is struck by an object." Stuff like that.
BrikThulhu eats 1d6 minifigs each turn.