RM's WH40K Paintlog

The wide crazy world of art and also stuff

Moderators: Arkbrik, Hoboman

Robot Monkey
My Little Pony

Re: RM's WH40K Paintlog

Post by Robot Monkey » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:00 pm

*t-t-t-triple post-post-post*

Had two more games today, both involving Necrons.

First game was 1000 points, with me having the same list as last time, except plus 1 space marine captain (to even things out, plus he didn't really do anything) versus 500 points of one friend's necrons and another 500 points of my other friend's necrons.

There were three objectives, and both sides only had two troop choices. The necrons captured two objectives early in the game, but the magic* (* read: insanity) of the guard shooting phase managed to rip them off those objectives, even with regeneration. One chimera with a guardsmen squad in it grabbed an objective that was off to the side by turn 2, and really was left alone for the rest of the game, because my opponents wanted to focus on the other two, one of which was in the center, and the other in cover. The game ended when I wiped out both of the necrons' troop choices, thus making them incapable of taking objectives. My opponents' biggest mistakes were both of them thinking they'd be the "heavy hitter" and the other guy being the "objective grabber". Both of them took very elite and hero heavy forces, making theirs a very small army, compared to my mechanized guard. The MVP for me in this game was my Russ, which eliminated 6 warriors camping out on an objective with one shot.

The second game was 900 points, (with me using the same old list), versus one friend's Orks, versus the other friend's necrons.

In this game, my buddy with the necrons used a Forge World tomb stalker. That was quite the points sink, making it so he couldn't take his C'tan shard or his doomsday ark. Needless to say, the necrons were quite screwed against fully mechanized guard and a massive horde of greenskins. The Orks sent a battlewagon full of nobz and a warboss against the necron's thin lines, and managed to take out quite a few, but regeneration saved many. A quick blast from the Russ' battle cannon wiped out necron and ork alike, really taking a toll on the ork player's offensive power, and further screwing over the necron player. The rest of my turns were dedicated to using multi-lasers on chimeras to take pot shots at the necrons, and using my Russ to wipe out orks. The orks eventually called a WAAAAGH, allowing them to charge at the necrons, wiping out the scarabs that had exploded the battlewagon a turn earlier. I then hit the massive mob of boyz with a battle cannon shot, taking out a good amount of them. Eventually, the fabled tomb stalker came on the board, and failed to do much before getting multi-laser'd to death. Another victory for the guard.

TL;DR : I won two games in a row. Tanks are awesome.
Also, I'll probably get pictures of my updated guardsmen up tomorrow.

halo 3000
I though bringing it up might possibly get me one

Post by halo 3000 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:45 am

Hey, I'm a little late, but love your imperial guard! I've always wanted to play WH40k but its just too much money. you should post an updated pic!
"My name is Art Vandelay. I'm an architect."~George Costanza

Killer Karetsu
Galidor
Galidor

Post by Killer Karetsu » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:25 am

:pics:
NO!THERE ARE NO POLAR BEARS IN FINLAND!!!

Robot Monkey
My Little Pony

Post by Robot Monkey » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:55 pm

Time for updated IG!

To start off, my Leman Russ. This thing is the MVP of almost all of my games. Also, I'm using Dwarf Bronze a lot more in my army now.

I'm also weathering my tanks a lot.

Here are my 3 chimeras.

Here's my lone sentinel.

Here's my command squad. The company commander once killed an Ork Nob with nothing but his wits and his cane.

These are my Stormtroopers, converted from some regular guardsmen.

Here's my Ministorum priest. It's converted from an old DnD "Cleric of St. Cuthbert" Model. The conversions here involve sawing off the mace he was carrying, and sticking a chainsword blade on his hand instead. The bottom part of the handle is a Vox Caster antenna, and I gave it a pair of tank commander shoulder pads.

I tried doing some highlighting on the cape, looks good IMO.

I also did some highlighting on the white robes.

Here's an updated guardsman, made to look much better with washes and basing.

Here's three objectives I made. from left to right: A Guardsmen's Grave, a Servo-Skull, and a Vox Relay.

I also made a pair of barricades from loose armor plates from the chimera kit.

Well, that's it for my updated IG. I think I've done much better than my original post on this thread, especially with the job I've done with the Ministorum Priest.
What do you guys think?

halo 3000

Post by halo 3000 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:40 pm

Looks great! you have a lot more stuff now. How much money have you spent on 40k?

Robot Monkey
My Little Pony

Post by Robot Monkey » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:41 pm

halo 3000 wrote:Looks great! you have a lot more stuff now. How much money have you spent on 40k?
At a quick estimate, somewhere near $200. This is not a cheap hobby if you're a broke teenager. However, it is a very fun one.

Anyway, thanks!

halo 3000

Post by halo 3000 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:54 pm

Your welcome!
This is not a cheap hobby if you're a broke teenager
Haha, I know. I wanted to start an imperial guard army when I was 13 but alas I was broke. Now I have a job and I'm thinking of starting. If I did I would probably go space wolves.

aoffan23
You can nail me with your wood. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
You can nail me with your wood. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Post by aoffan23 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:11 am

So Bane is an Imperial Guardsman now?
Spoiler
Show
Tzan wrote:
Quantumsurfer wrote:I generally agree with Tzan
Warhead wrote:I agree with QuantumSmurfer.
I agree with Warhead.

Ben-Jammin
Mega Blok

Post by Ben-Jammin » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:54 am

aoffan23 wrote:
So Bane is an Imperial Guardsman now?
:iconcur:

Robot Monkey
My Little Pony

Post by Robot Monkey » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:21 pm

"When Holy Terra is in ashes, then you have my permission to die"

Yeah, I like the bald stormie. If you notice, all of them except for the melta gunner have gas masks, instead the melta guy has a cigar.

Zupponn
if you give us money we will give you product
if you give us money we will give you product

Post by Zupponn » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:01 pm

40k is so cool, but too damn expensive for me to justify getting into.

Killer Karetsu
Galidor
Galidor

Post by Killer Karetsu » Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:45 am

You are definitely improving. Just keep on painting and you get better and better and better. Nice job with the weathering and that's a nice (first?) highlight on the cape of the priest.
Btw, you are one the first starting warhammer players who doesn't spam devlan mud or drybrush everything. That's a good thing.
NO!THERE ARE NO POLAR BEARS IN FINLAND!!!

Robot Monkey
My Little Pony

Post by Robot Monkey » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:36 am

Killer Karetsu wrote:You are definitely improving. Just keep on painting and you get better and better and better. Nice job with the weathering and that's a nice (first?) highlight on the cape of the priest.
Btw, you are one the first starting warhammer players who doesn't spam devlan mud or drybrush everything. That's a good thing.
Yeah, I had been watching a bunch of painting guides on robes and such (I'm planning on starting Dark Angels soon) so I thought I might as well attempt to highlight the priest's cape.

As for washes and drybrushing, I only use devlan mud on uniforms, and a little bit of drybrushing on my tanks. When I was painting Necrons for my friend, he asked me to basecoat them black and then drybrush gold over the whole thing. Turned out pretty cool, just kinda clusterfuck when they're in large groups.

Also, what do you get when you have a ton of guard kits and then assemble+paint a necron battleforce for your friend?

Mount Sprue-More. All of the sprues in there are bare, I put all of the spare guard bits into a bag, and I gave my friend all of the spare necron bits.

Falk
Oh no whatever will we do without the buttplugs
Oh no whatever will we do without the buttplugs

Post by Falk » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:08 pm

Barbed wire!
BrikWars 2010 Rules wrote:BrikWars ... stands in pretty direct opposition to many fundamental elements of the LEGO® philosophy, such as "Not Teaching Kids How Funny It Is to Set People on Fire."
Empire of Luchardsko WIP wiki page

halo 3000

Post by halo 3000 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:49 pm

have you thought about making your own battlefield?