Reasons That You Quit Warhammer

You know, whatever

Moderators: Blitzen, Silent-sigfig, Almighty Benny

Reasons That You Quit Warhammer

Postby The_Hopeful » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:37 pm

So, I'm just going to make a massive assumption and say that all (or most) of you used to be warhammer players.
What made you quit? Exorbitant model pricing, time?
The_Hopeful
Champion

Re: Reasons That You Quit Warhammer

Postby Whiteagle » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:39 pm

Well I never even started, that's how ahead of the curve I am!
Whiteagle
Playmobil

Postby halo 3000 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:19 pm

Never played. I really want to though. Probably gonna start an army soon

The_Hopeful wrote:I'm just going to make a massive assumption

You know what assuming does...
"My name is Art Vandelay. I'm an architect."~George Costanza
halo 3000
I though bringing it up might possibly get me one

Postby Zahru II » Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:05 pm

Let's see, here are some reasons why you shouldn't even START warhammer:

- scum community (modelers are a horrible bunch of pompous assholes who think they're arcane warlocks just because they can paint tiny shit)
- absolutely new player unfriendly (new kids are treated as retards by older ones)
- overpriced (buy the dudes, the glue, the paint, the armybooks, the rulebook)
- fix-poses
- lots of frustrating busywork (cut, sand, paint, testfit, glue, unglue your hands, paint for 18 hrs for every bloody fig)
- limited to zero re-usability (a spesh mahreen is a spesh mahreen from day 1, whereas a minifig can become everything imaginable)

I didn't play WH. I like the style and ideas they have, but everything else is just uninviting.

Oh, and inb4 guys who say 'welp you can substitute models and torrent pdfs', because that's just poorfag self-justification and it's like playing brikwars with low-tier shitty chinese bootlegos. Just because you're cheap, that doesn't make the hobby cheaper. Moreover, official GW stores will treat you like a leper if you use those there.
Zahru II
balls just have this nasty tendency to wear out over time

Postby Arkbrik » Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:11 pm

I might have been able to stand the exorbitant model pricing, if Games Workshop hadn't made their greed so obvious. I think the final straw for me was when I read a column in bad Dwarf by Jervis Johnson - one of the last "famous" GW people I still thought was pretty cool - where he argued that you shouldn't make your own terrain, but buy GW's preproduced kits.

I still hope that was just something they forced him to write and not his own opinion.
Remus: Harry... I'm a werewolf.
Harry: Are you fucking serious?
Remus: Well yes, but I don't see how that applies here.
Arkbrik
Pooplord

Postby Killer Karetsu » Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:29 pm

I played brikwars. Then I started warhammer. I still play brikwars. And warhammer.

Now, I myself don't think I'm a pompous asshole who think's he is an arcane warlock. Nor are the most modellers I know. Well, some of them are nerdy, some more than others and some just plain weird BUT there are "normal" people playing the game too. I have played with some awesome guys with nice themes and stuff for their armies. Sadly, I have also encountered the asshole-players. My greatest dream would to have many different armies to make narrative campaigns.
Overpriced? Arr, that be true. Gw has a monopoly and things get more costy. That is a fact I don't like, and I miss the days when things were cheaper. That doesn't stop me from continuing the hobby. Lego is costly too.
Fix poses...well..it could be interesting to be able to customize miniatures more after they are put together ( magnets ).
Lots of frustating busywork? Well, why the fuck you start a hobby with lot of that work if you won't enjoy it? Why start training football for ages if you don't even like doing that? It's a HOBBY. And all of that work is part of the hobby, and the feeling you get from a painted, ready miniature is awesome. So if you don't even like the work which is required, don't bother to do it.
Limited to zero-usability...well, I have no need to turn my high elf to a orc and on the other day to a beastman. Get more miniatures if you want all three!

I enjoy the hobby of painting and gaming with a full ready army is great. I won't deny the fact about the costly prices,
but that is the only thing that is bothering me. It is also more satisfying (to me) to paint a hero to lead your army than a minifig who you make by combining a few pieces. BUT I enjoy both brikwars and warhammer, most of all because they are so different games. If I feel a bit chaotic and want quick mayhem, then BRIKWARS! But sometimes I want something different and to bring my newly painted army to battle with magic and tactics and against some other guys painted armies!
NO!THERE ARE NO POLAR BEARS IN FINLAND!!!
Killer Karetsu
Mega Blok

Postby Ham701 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:19 pm

Tzan once had a great quote that went along the lines of

"If I played 40k, I would
6.Stop playing 40k
7. Use the money I saved to buy LEGO, a house, etc."
stubby wrote: my floppy penis gets first dibs on it for tradition's sake, but it doesn't seem likely that he'll want to stick around long enough to play.

Ham701
Galidor

Postby muffinman42 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:16 pm

never started!
muffinman42
Mega Blok

Postby Apollyon » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:20 pm

Well i never had my own Warhammer stuff but played it a couple of times with a schoolmate many years ago. What really put me off was the squad based combat and most of all the way my friend played. In fact, he was an anorakish douchebag that looking back on it deserved a severe beating. He took advantage of knowing the rules much better than me, equipped his hero (commander, general, whatever it was called) with a bunch of magic items like black amulets and whatnot that made him invincible. Kinda like if you fielded five heros on your side in Brikwars without heeding crankyness and giving them Assyrian death sniper rifles and 4d10 armor.

I really really enjoyed playing Epic Space Marines/Titan Legions with him though and i had my own Eldar host. It played so fast and easy and i loved the scale of it ranging from puny infantry to Emperor class titans. Oh, the joy of bringing down the latter!
If you're not into Metal you are not my friend!
Apollyon
My Little Pony

Postby Silverdream » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:23 pm

I never painted or put together my necron squad because:

6. I didn't want to interact with new people if I decided to venture into my LGS.
7. I didn't have the time or patience to paint or put it together.
8. The rulebook is big and couldn't keep my interest.

Spoiler: show
mgb519 wrote:Seriously, you are now the first ever forum superhero.

Colette wrote:I hereby acknowledge Silverdream as the one and only forum troll as agreed in the bet.

Quantumsurfer wrote:No, I have 2 silver.
Silverdream
Blockguy

Postby Keldoclock » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:52 pm

Something I heard long, long ago in a miniatures forum far, far away-

Warhammer 40k is less of a game, and more of a machine for extracting money from 15-45 year old men
stubby wrote:omg noob, balrogs are maiars too, don't you know anything
Keldoclock
Pooplord

Postby Zupponn » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:18 am

Hi, my name is Zupponn and I've never played Warhammer or WoW. I think that this thesnuggly session is going to be a success. :D
Zupponn
Lovable and funny
Lovable and funny

Postby Ben-Jammin » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:31 am

My cousin plays and although I like it and draw a lot of inspiration from it, I've never played and don't plan to with money being a factor. I agree that lego is much better cash-wise.
Ben-Jammin
My Little Pony

Postby Predator » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:25 am

I have a semi-finished guard army with some OC's, painted in USMC desert II. Among the OC's are a humvee style thing (Which is quite ugly) And mutant troopers (Invisible guy, Rogue trooper and squad, Hellboy, and other nerdy references.). HQ is commander Rambo.

I quit because of (to lazy to copypasta Zahru)
mr.duckie wrote:
SirCheese wrote:I will be neutral. (Cuz I don't want to make enemies)

Get Him!!!! :fist:

This sig is too fucking large: show anyway
Silverdream wrote:Gaze upon my cyan complexion
And fall in love with my flying perfection
I am a pegasus of awesomeness shaped by sonic rainbooms
Sonic Rainbooms
All over my sky.
Predator
Jaw-Jaw

Postby RoC77 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:29 am

Shouldn't this be in the Lesser Games area?
TROLOLO
RoC77
Playmobil

Location: PEACH! The offical lotion of strippers across the country......

Next

Return to General Discussion