2013 SETS THREAD

Creations, construction techniques, and news from the world of plastic toys

Moderators: Dr. X, ikensall, fredde

Ben-Jammin
Mega Blok

Re: 2013 SETS THREAD

Post by Ben-Jammin » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:19 pm

Colette wrote:Finally- ¡VIVA EL ESPACIO CLÁSICO!. Apparently there are conflicting rumors about two new themes (or just one theme with two codenames) called Polar Xxpress and Galaxy Quest. A teaser for Polar Xxpress appeared on the back of the recent lego magazine with a question mark and an ice crystal, sounds like Ice Planet 2.0 to me (return of the OTC???). Galaxy Quest has been described as a throwback to the better days of Classic Space, featuring themes of exploration and discovery.
Please...please God....

Where did you find this?

cleanupcrew
Catastrophe Magnet

Post by cleanupcrew » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:43 pm

Ben-Jammin wrote:
Colette wrote:Finally- ¡VIVA EL ESPACIO CLÁSICO!. Apparently there are conflicting rumors about two new themes (or just one theme with two codenames) called Polar Xxpress and Galaxy Quest. A teaser for Polar Xxpress appeared on the back of the recent lego magazine with a question mark and an ice crystal, sounds like Ice Planet 2.0 to me (return of the OTC???). Galaxy Quest has been described as a throwback to the better days of Classic Space, featuring themes of exploration and discovery.
Please...please God....

Where did you find this?
Eurobricks. Also, there's some more rumors for Galaxy Quest, now it sounds like a kid-i-fied version of the cuusoo space marines (colorful figs and vehicles, insectoid aliens).

Ben-Jammin
Mega Blok

Post by Ben-Jammin » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:43 am

Colette wrote:
Ben-Jammin wrote:
Please...please God....

Where did you find this?
Eurobricks. Also, there's some more rumors for Galaxy Quest, now it sounds like a kid-i-fied version of the cuusoo space marines (colorful figs and vehicles, insectoid aliens).
Those space marines things really should be made into sets; they're very ossum.

Silverdream
Nice use of noise

Post by Silverdream » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:30 pm

Here's hoping Tim Allen is in the Galaxy Quest sets.
This sig is too fucking large: show anyway
Image lol j/k

subyrally
Cannon Fodder

Post by subyrally » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:40 pm

Silverdream wrote:Here's hoping Tim Allen is in the Galaxy Quest sets.

YES!
"Warning: Small children may present a choking hazard when consumed."

Insert_blank
おたく
おたく

Post by Insert_blank » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:22 pm

Keldoclock wrote:
aoffan23 wrote:
I actually have a boxed set of all four LotR books.

I haven't read any of them. :oops:
It's one of those things that you either love or you hate- Tolkien is great at world-building, terrible at writing.
I think Tolkien is a great writer. He's clear, concise, and he writes amazing poetry. For a 1000+ page book I never felt like he was overwriting or adding stuff we didn't need. It's a really human story. I sort of hate most fantasy but I'm into Tolkien. I also focused on English Lit pre 1600s in college so that's my bias with Tolkien (who was a professor of that subject)
Just Monika

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Post by IVhorseman » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:20 pm

Insert_blank wrote:I think Tolkien is a great writer. He's clear, concise... I never felt like he was overwriting or adding stuff we didn't need.
Really? Those are the biggest complaints I hear about him. Definitely why I've got beef with him.

I mean sure I guess he's clearer and conciser than like, Milton and Chaucer, and I totally get how he's going for more or less the same ideas that they did, but even Shakespeare tells better stories in a shorter time.

Zupponn
if you give us money we will give you product
if you give us money we will give you product

Post by Zupponn » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:45 am

Silverdream wrote:Here's hoping Tim Allen is in the Galaxy Quest sets.
And that he uses a chainsaw to fight dinosaurs.

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Post by stubby » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:25 am

IVhorseman wrote:
Insert_blank wrote:I think Tolkien is a great writer. He's clear, concise... I never felt like he was overwriting or adding stuff we didn't need.
Really? Those are the biggest complaints I hear about him. Definitely why I've got beef with him.

I mean sure I guess he's clearer and conciser than like, Milton and Chaucer, and I totally get how he's going for more or less the same ideas that they did, but even Shakespeare tells better stories in a shorter time.
Yeah, sorry Insert_blank. Tolkien's place in popular literary history can't be overstated, but by modern writing standards his writing is indulgent, his characters are flat, his plotting is hamfisted, and he has no understanding of pacing. Like, to point out the elephant in the room: what the heck is Tom Bombadildo even doing in this story?

But on the other hand, Tolkien had zero tradition to draw from. He made up the idea of having epic fantasy in the first place. Like he didn't just come up with our modern idea of elves and dwarves and orcs and all the rest, but of good versus evil in a way we hadn't seen since Beowulf or Gilgamesh or the Norse sagas, put into the form of the modern novel. This was something no one had ever even conceived of before, so it's not surprising that he carried forward a lot of the features that characterize epic sagas of the old world, but badly weaken novels in our modern understanding. There was nothing else to draw from.

The writers who followed after Tolkien were able to build on the concepts he developed and give them a lot more of the polish we associate with modern writing, but Tolkien was the granddaddy. There wouldn't be a fantasy genre without him.
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:59 am

stubby wrote:But on the other hand, Tolkien had zero tradition to draw from. He made up the idea of having epic fantasy in the first place. Like he didn't just come up with our modern idea of elves and dwarves and orcs and all the rest, but of good versus evil in a way we hadn't seen since Beowulf or Gilgamesh or the Norse sagas, put into the form of the modern novel.
And that's actually what comparing him to Milton and Chaucer helped me appreciate in his writing. All that shit is long and incredibly intricate and flourishy, and because of that saying that it's "a mouthful" is a gross under-representation of what's actually going on. Tolkien's writing style is far more appropriate for epic shit like that, since it's the "modern condensed fiction" equivalent.

Keldoclock
My Little Pony

Post by Keldoclock » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:05 am

stubby wrote: what the heck is Tom Bombadildo even doing in this story?
J.R.R. Tolkien wrote:"Tom Bombadildo is not an important person — to the narrative. I suppose he has some importance as a 'comment.' I mean, I do not really write like that: he is just an invention (who first appeared in The Oxford Magazine about 1933), and he represents something that I feel important, though I would not be prepared to analyse the feeling precisely. I would not, however, have left him in, if he did not have some kind of function.

I might put it this way. The story is cast in terms of a good side, and a bad side, beauty against ruthless ugliness, tyranny against kingship, moderated freedom with consent against compulsion that has long lost any object save mere power, and so on; but both sides in some degree, conservative or destructive, want a measure of control. But if you have, as it were, taken 'a vow of poverty', renounced control, and take your delight in things for themselves without reference to yourself, watching, observing, and to some extent knowing, then the questions of the rights and wrongs of power and control might become utterly meaningless to you, and the means of power quite valueless …

It is a natural pacifist view, which always arises in the mind when there is a war … the view of Rivendell seems to be that it is an excellent thing to have represented, but that there are in fact things with which it cannot cope; and upon which its existence nonetheless depends. Ultimately only the victory of the West will allow Bombadildo to continue, or even to survive. Nothing would be left for him in the world of Sauron.

And even in a mythical Age there must be some enigmas, as there always are. Tom Bombadildo is one (intentionally)."
I always read Tom as a sort of surrogate figure for Tolkien, what TVtropes would call an Author Insert.

One would wonder where Roger Zelazny is found on this evolution of literature.
stubby wrote:omg noob, balrogs are maiars too, don't you know anything

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Post by stubby » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:58 am

Keldoclock wrote:
stubby wrote: what the heck is Tom Bombadildo even doing in this story?
I always read Tom as a sort of surrogate figure for Tolkien, what TVtropes would call an Author Insert.
No, Gandalf is the author insert, there's no question. Especially in his guise as Orodin.
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?

Ben-Jammin
Mega Blok

Post by Ben-Jammin » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:09 pm

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.p ... opic=73098

Found that new Zombie someone mentioned, plus a :666: band.

lorbaat
Minifig

Post by lorbaat » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:27 pm

I saw the band advertized someplace... TLG website? It's interesting because they seem to be subtle repaints of the collectible ones- the rapper/singer has silver accents instead of gold, the mohawk is a mix/swirl of green and pink plastic instead of just pink, etc.

I put it on my look-more-closely-at list, but honestly Galaxy Patrols and their support have been chewing up more than my Lego budget at the moment.

Insert_blank
おたく
おたく

Post by Insert_blank » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:40 pm

Keldoclock wrote: One would wonder where Roger Zelazny is found on this evolution of literature.

That's a great question. Even reading his early work vs the Amber series there's such a huge change in his style. I found him in middle school from an uncle and then years later another uncle recommended some short stories by him to me. Now whenever I open a book I find his name in the acknowledgements. Neil Gaiman, George Martin, and a bunch of other current big shots are all in debt to him.

I have a huge Zelazny crush, if that isn't obvious.
Just Monika