Grenadiers?

Rules questions, suggestions, and discussion

Moderators: Pwnerade, IVhorseman

Radekal
Champion
Champion

Grenadiers?

Post by Radekal » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:24 am

Ok, so I'm new to BrikWars, and need some advice about thrown explosives.

From what I've read, each explosive does 1d10 damage to everything within a 2" radius. So if I've got a squad of 10 minifigs throwing grenades or other explosives at the same time at another unit, how do I decide where the grenades land (for the explosion centre)? Do I then add up the damage from the 10 damage throws? Or do I work out each explosion individually? And given that minifigs in a unit are usually within 1 inch of each other, you could potentially kill 100+ minifigs with 10 grenades... isn't that a bit overpowered?

Ben-Jammin
Mega Blok

Re: Grenadiers?

Post by Ben-Jammin » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:04 am

Radekal wrote:Ok, so I'm new to BrikWars, and need some advice about thrown explosives.

From what I've read, each explosive does 1d10 damage to everything within a 2" radius. So if I've got a squad of 10 minifigs throwing grenades or other explosives at the same time at another unit, how do I decide where the grenades land (for the explosion centre)? Do I then add up the damage from the 10 damage throws? Or do I work out each explosion individually? And given that minifigs in a unit are usually within 1 inch of each other, you could potentially kill 100+ minifigs with 10 grenades... isn't that a bit overpowered?
6. Have the figs make skill rolls to see if they can use the grenades.
7. The range of a grenade is 1d6+2". This shows the distance the minifig can throw it. You can throw the grenade any number of inches equal to your roll or less, but not higher.
8. If the grenade goes far enough, 1d10 damage to everything in a 2" radius.
9. If you manage to get lucky and have all 10 grenades hit in a close spot, then that would be a very deadly 10d10 damage. It would be better to spread the grenades out, however, as although you'll do less damage you can get more kills over a wider area provided that the damage is sufficient.

It isn't really overpowered because there's a lot of variability when it comes to the dice rolls. The grenadier could have a weak arm and only toss his grenade 3", or get lucky with some criticals and throw it 10" or so. Even if you got a good throw there's still the chance that you won't roll enough damage to score a kill. Not to mention the fact that most ranged weapons other than pistols have ranges that will often surpass your throw.

Radekal
Champion
Champion

Post by Radekal » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:41 am

Ben-Jammin wrote:
7. The range of a grenade is 1d6+2". This shows the distance the minifig can throw it. You can throw the grenade any number of inches equal to your roll or less, but not higher.
9. If you manage to get lucky and have all 10 grenades hit in a close spot, then that would be a very deadly 10d10 damage. It would be better to spread the grenades out, however, as although you'll do less damage you can get more kills over a wider area provided that the damage is sufficient.

It isn't really overpowered because there's a lot of variability when it comes to the dice rolls. The grenadier could have a weak arm and only toss his grenade 3", or get lucky with some criticals and throw it 10" or so. Even if you got a good throw there's still the chance that you won't roll enough damage to score a kill. Not to mention the fact that most ranged weapons other than pistols have ranges that will often surpass your throw.
So as long as the grenades land in range of the enemy squad, I can choose where each one explodes within that squad?

Predator
Dimmy

Post by Predator » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:30 am

Hai there! Welcome to the forums, I would suggest you reply to: Introduce Yourself! in the New People section of the forum!
It's stickied so you can't miss it.
mr.duckie wrote:
SirCheese wrote:I will be neutral. (Cuz I don't want to make enemies)
Get Him!!!! :fist:
This sig is too fucking large: show anyway
Silverdream wrote:Gaze upon my cyan complexion
And fall in love with my flying perfection
I am a pegasus of awesomeness shaped by sonic rainbooms
Sonic Rainbooms
All over my sky.

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Post by IVhorseman » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:57 pm

Radekal wrote:
Ben-Jammin wrote:

So as long as the grenades land in range of the enemy squad, I can choose where each one explodes within that squad?
Nnnnot quite. The short answer is yes, but here's the long one:

Just because a grenade toss might be in range (1d6+2" or 3" depending on your ruleset), doesn't mean they'll land where you're telling them to - the minifig still has to make their skill roll. If successful then yeah, the explosion is centered wherever the hell you wanted it to be. If you fail though, it lands within as many inches as you failed the skill roll by, and your opponent gets to pick the exact spot! And of course if you roll a 1, that shit's going off in your hand. So, determine range first, then make your skill roll, then see where the throws landed.

But yeah, all that damage goes off at the same time, so if nobody failed their throw you could totally deal 10d10 damage to a 2" radius. While this could definitely stack up into enough raw damage to kill an army's worth of minifigs with some crits, it'd be pretty hard to squeeze that many minifigs into that same 2" radius in the first place.

Radekal
Champion
Champion

Post by Radekal » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:00 am

IVhorseman wrote:
Nnnnot quite. The short answer is yes, but here's the long one:

Just because a grenade toss might be in range (1d6+2" or 3" depending on your ruleset), doesn't mean they'll land where you're telling them to - the minifig still has to make their skill roll. If successful then yeah, the explosion is centered wherever the hell you wanted it to be. If you fail though, it lands within as many inches as you failed the skill roll by, and your opponent gets to pick the exact spot! And of course if you roll a 1, that shit's going off in your hand. So, determine range first, then make your skill roll, then see where the throws landed.

But yeah, all that damage goes off at the same time, so if nobody failed their throw you could totally deal 10d10 damage to a 2" radius. While this could definitely stack up into enough raw damage to kill an army's worth of minifigs with some crits, it'd be pretty hard to squeeze that many minifigs into that same 2" radius in the first place.
Ok, that clears it up, thanks. So two rolls before the damage roll, ok.
But imagine like 7 hit, and each does a damage at least 5. I spread them out, so they're just within 4 inches of each other. This means that I can pretty much completely cover most squads, killing everyone, right? And also, if 2 or more explosion radii overlap on a minifig, do I add up the damage that he takes?

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:33 pm

Yes and yes. You do have to announce where the grenades are supposed to land before they do though.

Gungnir
Jaw-Jaw

Post by Gungnir » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:32 pm

Instead of letting opponents decide where explosives land, I prefer to use a stumble die. It adds a little more randomness to the game, and it's a little more fair in my opinion.
Then again, it's really up to you. Fudge the rules however you like.
BrikThulhu eats 1d6 minifigs each turn.

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:28 pm

fairer, but not funnier.

Cytheran
Officer

Post by Cytheran » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:36 pm

IVhorseman wrote:fairer, but not funnier.
Funnier = better.

Gungnir
Jaw-Jaw

Post by Gungnir » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:54 pm

IVhorseman wrote:fairer, but not funnier.
That's a matter of opinion. I play Brikwars a little more seriously than most.
BrikThulhu eats 1d6 minifigs each turn.

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:28 pm

Which would mean that, in your perspective, funniness comes second to fairness. Therefore, YOUR opinion is that a game should be fair before it is just strictly and hilariously brutal. THAT is an opinion. I never said whether or not you should play fair or funny.

aoffan23
You can nail me with your wood. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
You can nail me with your wood. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Post by aoffan23 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:13 pm

I think he was wanting to quote Cytheran's post.
Spoiler
Show
Tzan wrote:
Quantumsurfer wrote:I generally agree with Tzan
Warhead wrote:I agree with QuantumSmurfer.
I agree with Warhead.

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:41 pm

oh derp :warhead: