You know, whatever

Moderators: Blitzen, Silent-sigfig, Almighty Benny

Re: Wumin now fucking with Online Gaming

Postby Bragallot » Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:29 pm

*Settles down and waits for Natalya and stubby to win the thread* :omnom:
Encyclopedia Bragtanica - Fantasy Battles - Scifi Battles - Crimson Crusade
lawmaster wrote:
Bragallot wrote:
lawmaster wrote:Kill the guy I'm in cc with.
He's already dead.
Kill him again.
Bragallot
Blockguy

Postby Natalya » Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:27 pm

Bragallot wrote:

USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST

I had to stop reading that article because it pissed me off too much.

Told a woman he hoped she would be snuggled and killed? These fuckwits should be banned and made to pay. No second chances. Unfortunately you're probably losing more customers by banning the idiots, so the companies are probably not interested.

I'd like to personally smack the idiots who claim 'it's a part of it' 's teeth out. It's not a part of gaming, and if you think it is you play for the wrong reasons. Games are meant to be played for fun and if your fun is threatening and insulting other people something's wrong in your head. There's no game that describes itself as 'insult other people over the net!' on the back cover.

I have a sneaking suspicion there's a large group of 14-15 year olds committing these crimes and the core of the problem is (again), a lack of proper education.

On a sidenote, Nattttttt are you still playing Starcraft?

Yes I still play SC2.
  ▲
▲ ▲

"Each night alone I dream, that I'm a rebel Roller Queen‼
I'll be a star that shines, I can make the whole world mine‼"

Natalya
Tremble in awe, for I am become Admin, Banner of Noobs.

Postby Natalya » Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:34 pm

Warhead wrote::lol:

Welll, it's just as well there are so many good men out there looking out for the little wumin. I'm sure we'll protect them just like in RL. It would be awful if they had to stand up for themselves as men do.

Illogical and irrelevant.

The abuses and insults being leveled against women in online gaming are not the same as those leveled against men. Men aren't told to stop playing because of their gender. Men aren't told they should be doing something else because of their gender. Men aren't being told they are not allowed to participate because of their gender. Men aren't being threatened with violence IRL because of their gender. This shit is about 'putting women in their place' instead of generic insults being thrown around about player skill levels or what players accomplish or do not accomplish in whatever game is being played.

0/10
  ▲
▲ ▲

"Each night alone I dream, that I'm a rebel Roller Queen‼
I'll be a star that shines, I can make the whole world mine‼"

Natalya

Postby stubby » Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:54 pm

Bragallot wrote:*Settles down and waits for Natalya and stubby to win the thread* :omnom:

Anybody who's been following my facebook for awhile will know that I lost this thread before it even started. The foremost opponent of sexism in gaming, Anita Sarkeesian of Feminist Frequency, has already judged against me. Before her current gaming kick, she did a bunch of femfreq videos about the toy industry, and you know who has two thumbs and got used as the main example of everything anti-feminist in the world of toys? This guy.

Right after that happened, she said she was going to do her next series of videos to investigate sexism in video games, and the internet went INSANE. It kind of peaked when some guy made a video game about punching Anita Sarkeesian in the face. She hadn't even said anything yet. It was just because she was a woman and said she was interested in expressing an opinion at some point in the future. That in a nutshell is how you get treated by gamers when you commit the crime of being a woman.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun: Tropes Vs. Women In Video Games Vs. The Internet
The Escapist: Flash Game Makes Players Beat Up "Tropes vs. Women" Creator
The Mary Sue: The All Too Familiar Harassment Against Feminist Frequency And What The Gaming Community Can Do About It

This is one of the big reasons I quit any online game within seconds of running into other players and being reminded what wastes of meat online gamers are. I'd rather do almost anything than have to interact in the same space as these pieces of human shit.

Maybe I'll let Jay Smooth try to win this thread instead, he's a lot better on these kinds of things.

stubby
forum janitor

Postby Apollyon » Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:12 pm

stubby wrote:Anita Sarkeesian of Feminist Frequency

I'd hit it!

Now, for a brief moment she made me think about wether there is not something else and probably better to do with Lego than play Brikwars? Just for a moment though.

What was striking for me in these videos was the thing about Zack the Lego Maniac. I never knew about him. Back in the eighties there were next to no toy, let alone Lego, commercials on German TV. There usually were a few during the weeks before Saturnalia and as kids we were actually looking forward to those! Anyway, back then Lego marketing towards me and the vast majority of kids went through the catalogues and the boxes displayed in stores. We've catched up by now though i think.

Now that i have nieces and nephews old enough not to accidently choke on bricks i considered giving them small mocs for Saturnalia and i really did think about putting something together which is not gendered (the girls have too much pink crap already) or anti-gendered (like giving the girls some knights or police men). Not an easy task in this day, especially if you are a die-hard heavy metal guy deeply involed in a hyper-masculine subculture. :-)
If you're not into Metal you are not my friend!
Apollyon
My Little Pony

Postby Zupponn » Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:44 pm

Arkbrik wrote:Some of the things there would be hilarious if they weren't so sad.

Okay, the second and third ones here are a problem that needs to be fixed, but there really wasn't anything wrong with the first one. All he was doing was making a comment about what he's noticed. The second guy was sort of a jerk, but she rips on the first guy, who did nothing wrong. Sure, girls are bad at video games when they haven't played them before, but they're still bad at them. This is what I hate about people over-sensitive about certain issues, they receive a complement and try to rip the guy's head off.
Zupponn
Lovable and funny
Lovable and funny

Postby stubby » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:29 pm

Zupponn wrote:Okay, the second and third ones here are a problem that needs to be fixed, but there really wasn't anything wrong with the first one. All he was doing was making a comment about what he's noticed. The second guy was sort of a jerk, but she rips on the first guy, who did nothing wrong. Sure, girls are bad at video games when they haven't played them before, but they're still bad at them. This is what I hate about people over-sensitive about certain issues, they receive a complement and try to rip the guy's head off.

White dudes are usually too stupid to understand when people object to getting objectified.

Just making a comment about what I've noticed.
stubby
forum janitor

Postby Keldoclock » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:34 pm

Ah, privilege. The domain of white dudes worldwide!

Perhaps I am unique in this, but I have never witnessed this sexism in live gaming- perhaps this is because my massively online gaming is limited to World of Warcraft, where a good 30-50% of the players are female and do not get harassed (indeed, they are are particularly valued in guilds because female WoW players often play Priest or Druid (healers) characters), and the various Halos, where in about eight years of gaming I have encountered (non mic-muted) female players *once*, and that was late at night on a private chat channel they invited me to because they needed a 4th player for co-op.

I have ofc witnessed the most horrible subhuman things on internet forums, but I kind of expect that from internet forums anyways so it doesn't bother me.
stubby wrote:omg noob, balrogs are maiars too, don't you know anything
Keldoclock
Pooplord

Postby Zupponn » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:54 pm

Also, I just experienced a situation like this about a week ago where some guy was harassing a girl on CS:GO. She put up the vote to kick and boom, he's gone in about 3 seconds.
Zupponn
Lovable and funny
Lovable and funny

Postby Nitewatchman » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:12 am

Seriousness?

Internet?

Games?

One of these things is not like the others.
Last edited by Nitewatchman on Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Silverdream wrote:MOST UNLIKED BY SILVERDREAM
Nominees
-Nitewatchman
-Blitzen
-muffinman42
-Vami IV

WINNER: Nitewatchman
Nitewatchman
Galidor

Postby aoffan23 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:12 am

Zupponn wrote:Also, I just experienced a situation like this about a week ago where some guy was harassing a girl on CS:GO. She put up the vote to kick and boom, he's gone in about 3 seconds.

I'm not sure if this was an attempt to make a point, because I don't see one. Are you implying he was kicked so quickly because she was a girl? Are you saying that enough punishment is given? Or are you just telling a story because it's related? If it's the third option then forgive me for even bringing it up in the first place.

I was about to write a post explaining my feelings on the topic of society's sensitivity (and the people who think everyone is too damn sensitive) to these things, but then I started to doubt myself as I was writing it and don't know what I think any more.
Tzan wrote:
Quantumsurfer wrote:I generally agree with Tzan
Warhead wrote:I agree with QuantumSmurfer.

I agree with Warhead.
aoffan23
Pooplord

Postby Zupponn » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:41 am

I was trying to say that there are many tools that we gamers can use, at least in certain games, to get rid of bigots quickly and efficiently. That is all.
Zupponn
Lovable and funny
Lovable and funny

Postby IVhorseman » Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:10 am

Keldoclock wrote:I have encountered (non mic-muted) female players *once*, and that was late at night on a private chat channel they invited me to because they needed a 4th player for co-op.

:twss:
Really? Nobody else caught that?
IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Postby silvadream » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:56 am

I personally am a feminist and hate hate hate when women are bullied(at my school once I stood up for this girl but apparently I wasn't supposed to so everyone in social studies than avoided me). I've had sex with multiple women too either cuz of my BIG DICK or because I'm really nice idk.

Also that feminist lady who hates our Overlord Mike Rayhawk is kinda hot.

Also also I hate how you guys(ESPECIALLY Zupponn as usual) are bullying women. In countries like Afghanistan women are beaten for not believing in the religion but I don't get how you guys can also be so hateful when women are being discrimnated against(not cool seriously).

Also also also Natalya is always right.
silvadream
Cannon Fodder

Postby Bragallot » Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:12 am

Bragallot wrote:

USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST

I had to stop reading that article because it pissed me off too much.

Told a woman he hoped she would be snuggled and killed? These fuckwits should be banned and made to pay. No second chances. Unfortunately you're probably losing more customers by banning the idiots, so the companies are probably not interested.

I'd like to personally smack the idiots who claim 'it's a part of it' 's teeth out. It's not a part of gaming, and if you think it is you play for the wrong reasons. Games are meant to be played for fun and if your fun is threatening and insulting other people something's wrong in your head. There's no game that describes itself as 'insult other people over the net!' on the back cover.

I have a sneaking suspicion there's a large group of 14-15 year olds committing these crimes and the core of the problem is (again), a lack of proper education.

On a sidenote, Nattttttt are you still playing Starcraft?

I can now say I got banned for a post against sexism, by a feminist :rtfm:

Bragallot wrote:*Settles down and waits for Natalya and stubby to win the thread* :omnom:

I was not :son:

Anybody who's been following my facebook for awhile will know that I lost this thread before it even started. The foremost opponent of sexism in gaming, Anita Sarkeesian of Feminist Frequency, has already judged against me. Before her current gaming kick, she did a bunch of femfreq videos about the toy industry, and you know who has two thumbs and got used as the main example of everything anti-feminist in the world of toys? This guy.

You know I find that ridiculous. Some people take things too far. They coat themselves in what I like to call 'minority armour' to attack everything and everyone and if you're not with them you're either sexist or brainwashed and can't think for yourself. Even if you're a feminist. Actually, AngryAussie had a cool video about that problem a while ago. The fact you're not anti-feminist should be proof enough that she's biased. Otherwise she wouldn't jump to conclusion without the proper information.

If there's anything I know about companies, it's that they like to make money, not push values on people because of a certain view they have on how society should be. And if they can make more money by selling girls tanks, they will. It's also kind of insulting to say all these girls are growing up to be completely irresponsible people who haven't learned to stand their ground because of the toys they chose to play with, or that the opposite should be true for boys, because they're not. The problem is not 'the way they were formed and brainwashed and yadda yadda yadda', it's that they are still encountering inequality in a later point of their lives. In fact education (both parents as schools, in this modern age parents often discard their own responsibility) play the prime role here, not goddamn toys.

I approve of her addressing the online harrassment however because that, is a serious matter. And the Jay Smooth video. Even if only for his epic voice.

This is one of the big reasons I quit any online game within seconds of running into other players and being reminded what wastes of meat online gamers are. I'd rather do almost anything than have to interact in the same space as these pieces of human shit.

I've found this is true for most aspects of life.
Encyclopedia Bragtanica - Fantasy Battles - Scifi Battles - Crimson Crusade
lawmaster wrote:
Bragallot wrote:
lawmaster wrote:Kill the guy I'm in cc with.
He's already dead.
Kill him again.
Bragallot
Blockguy

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion