Cave racing and demons

Supplement ideas, house rules, homemade stat cards, homebrew weapon types, and other cool variations

Moderators: warman45, Rev. Sylvanus

samuelzz10
n00b
n00b

Cave racing and demons

Post by samuelzz10 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:43 pm

I wrongly put my demon homebrew in general discussion, so I'm moving it here. But just so it isn't a waste of space, I've also added cave racer stats.(circa 2008)
CAVE RACER (6 CP)
Skill: N/A
Move: 5"
Armor: 25 hp
Special:
(3 CP) Crash landing: if it is destroyed in mid air, a backup engine can be hastily implemented, and it gives the vehicle 1 HP. It gets 2 turns of invincibility, but they must be used to get ready to crash in the most explosive area possible.
(Included, costs no CP) Speed up: the cave racer can speed up to 30 inches a turn. However, consequences come into play. at 10", the cave racer cannot attack while moving (unless it is a charge attack). At 15", the vehicle cannot make any sharp turns. At 20", it cannot turn (but it gets +15 to all charge attacks). At 25", the pilot gets motion sickness and runs the risk of vomiting his brains out. (roll 2d6+3 damage against pilot) at 30", your whole racer catches fire. use fire rules to determine outcome. If you choose to go any faster, your cave race explodes as soon as it reaches its destination, good for kamikaze attacks.

now, the demon stats.

DEMON CP: 45
ARMOR: 12d4 and 2 lives (2d4 can be turned into 1d6 if he wishes to make a crit success)
SKILL: 4d4
MOVE: 10" (can glide downward 15")
MAGIC DICE: 4d6 (Cliche: EVIL)(summoning, eternal pain, fire, evil mind control, etc)
SPECIAL:
INFERNO: A demon without using magical dice can shoot a flame cone with a distance of 12 inches that causes 3d6-3 damage, regardless of what he is holding
DEMON ARMOR: A demon's armor cannot be stolen by mere mortals,but if it is, they are turned into an NPC demon.
MAY THE POWER OF CHRIST COMPEL YOU!: All holy artifacts, holy water, and holy units get a +15 attack bonus against a demon. However, if a heavy metal band, or just metal stuff in general (not including fighting) is within 15", he gets +3d6 armor
Spoiler
Show
my old sig
WARNING: Posts in forum may have been edited by forum

Rev. Sylvanus
Galidor
Galidor

Re: Cave racing and demons

Post by Rev. Sylvanus » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:53 am

My suggestions for demons remain the same.

What is a cave racer supposed to be? A vehicle? If so, the stats need a LOT of work to take into account size, structure level, etc. And not that you have to be constrained by CP costs, but if you ARE trying to be accurate and balanced with CP, being able to "speed up" to 30" a turn with no extra CP cost is incredibly busted.

What are you basing "HP" on? Damage dealt or successful attacks? Is it an armor rating or the number of attacks it can take? Also, what's the use of being reduced to 1 HP on a crash landing if it get's two turns of invincibility anyway? Doesn't make sense.
For Your Reading Pleasure: Rev's Battle Reports

Reference Sheets: Animals and Mounts / Medieval Weapons

Factions: Dragon Guard / Hiimboredagain Raiders

samuelzz10
n00b
n00b

Post by samuelzz10 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:18 pm

Rev. Sylvanus wrote:My suggestions for demons remain the same.

What is a cave racer supposed to be? A vehicle? If so, the stats need a LOT of work to take into account size, structure level, etc. And not that you have to be constrained by CP costs, but if you ARE trying to be accurate and balanced with CP, being able to "speed up" to 30" a turn with no extra CP cost is incredibly busted.

What are you basing "HP" on? Damage dealt or successful attacks? Is it an armor rating or the number of attacks it can take? Also, what's the use of being reduced to 1 HP on a crash landing if it get's two turns of invincibility anyway? Doesn't make sense.
(HOMEBREW SECTION FORCE FIELD ACTIVATED) A cave racer was a popular fad in 2008 in the AFOL community. (http://www.flickr.com/photos/gambort/24 ... ersdf2137/) I don't really care about CP, you got me there. Me and my friends play by a "if he has one, I also get one" policy when making armies. And going up to 30" a turn is pretty useless unless you are playing capture the flag, and if you are then you can just ban the vehicle. HP is called monster damage in the 2001 rule set. I use it on all vehicles and it is like HP in a role playing video game. Finally, the 1 HP is so it can make sense. having 0 HP means you have nothing as your health, and the 1 HP depletes when you explode anyways.
Spoiler
Show
my old sig

Rev. Sylvanus
Galidor
Galidor

Post by Rev. Sylvanus » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:28 pm

samuelzz10 wrote:(HOMEBREW SECTION FORCE FIELD ACTIVATED) A cave racer was a popular fad in 2008 in the AFOL community. (http://www.flickr.com/photos/gambort/24 ... ersdf2137/) I don't really care about CP, you got me there. Me and my friends play by a "if he has one, I also get one" policy when making armies. And going up to 30" a turn is pretty useless unless you are playing capture the flag, and if you are then you can just ban the vehicle. HP is called monster damage in the 2001 rule set. I use it on all vehicles and it is like HP in a role playing video game. Finally, the 1 HP is so it can make sense. having 0 HP means you have nothing as your health, and the 1 HP depletes when you explode anyways.
(You can lower your shields; I just like offering constructive criticism [and appreciate it in return]. If I'm overbearing, tell me to back off).

Hmm, neat. I've never heard of the cave racer.

Ok, I get the HP, then; I operate on the 2005/2010 spectrum for vehicles. In which case it seems like a cave racer would be something like a Size 1"-3", Structure Level 1 (1d10) vehicle.

I still think the whole 2 turns of invincibility is a little wonky. That's a potential of 60" worth of re-maneuvering for an explosion after taking lethal damage. Perhaps instead giving it a random distance it's allowed to travel after being destroyed before blowing up? Up to 2d6" or 3d6" if you are really adamant about it landing on something else?
For Your Reading Pleasure: Rev's Battle Reports

Reference Sheets: Animals and Mounts / Medieval Weapons

Factions: Dragon Guard / Hiimboredagain Raiders

samuelzz10
n00b
n00b

Post by samuelzz10 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:59 pm

Rev. Sylvanus wrote:
samuelzz10 wrote:(HOMEBREW SECTION FORCE FIELD ACTIVATED) A cave racer was a popular fad in 2008 in the AFOL community. (http://www.flickr.com/photos/gambort/24 ... ersdf2137/) I don't really care about CP, you got me there. Me and my friends play by a "if he has one, I also get one" policy when making armies. And going up to 30" a turn is pretty useless unless you are playing capture the flag, and if you are then you can just ban the vehicle. HP is called monster damage in the 2001 rule set. I use it on all vehicles and it is like HP in a role playing video game. Finally, the 1 HP is so it can make sense. having 0 HP means you have nothing as your health, and the 1 HP depletes when you explode anyways.
(You can lower your shields; I just like offering constructive criticism [and appreciate it in return]. If I'm overbearing, tell me to back off).

Hmm, neat. I've never heard of the cave racer.

Ok, I get the HP, then; I operate on the 2005/2010 spectrum for vehicles. In which case it seems like a cave racer would be something like a Size 1"-3", Structure Level 1 (1d10) vehicle.

I still think the whole 2 turns of invincibility is a little wonky. That's a potential of 60" worth of re-maneuvering for an explosion after taking lethal damage. Perhaps instead giving it a random distance it's allowed to travel after being destroyed before blowing up? Up to 2d6" or 3d6" if you are really adamant about it landing on something else?
Well, whatever floats your boat. I playtested the vehicle at a friends house, and the thing was destroyed in a turn. However, the kamikaze attack only needed one turn to set itself into place, so if I make a statcard for this I will definitely give it only one turn.
Spoiler
Show
my old sig