Now you can all stop asking about magick

Rules questions, suggestions, and discussion

Moderators: Pwnerade, IVhorseman

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Re: Now you can all stop asking about magick

Post by IVhorseman » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:50 pm

Beams of divinity raining down from the heavens or being blasted out the end of his Holy Crucibrix would probably be the one with the most potential for deliberate vagueness. The beams could still pretty easily backfire and strike the Clerik instead (especially with so many of them on the table), or one of the fumbles might point the effect hilariously elsewhere by messing with the range. Point is, I still think there's plenty of opportunity for fun and storytime even when you're just making up effects to fit the dice.

Why not just make one die roll for all of the enemies? So like if you roll a 5 on the damage d6, they all take 5. You know, like how explosions normally work. And what's wrong with fumbling lasting effects?

DeltaV
Officer

Post by DeltaV » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:54 pm

stubby wrote: Is he channeling kamikaze angels through his holy butthole?
That is one hell of a Divine Wind :csi:
Brickwars: the only tabletop wargame that allows the units to have sexual intercourse with each other, produce offspring, and then use said offspring as Size 1 Explosives.

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:48 pm

Just make sure there's no Holy Shit in your drawers afterwards.

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Post by stubby » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:40 pm

IVhorseman wrote:Point is, I still think there's plenty of opportunity for fun and storytime even when you're just making up effects to fit the dice.
Sure, as long as, you know, you're bothering to make up effects at all. Instead of just numbers.
IVhorseman wrote:Why not just make one die roll for all of the enemies? So like if you roll a 5 on the damage d6, they all take 5. You know, like how explosions normally work. And what's wrong with fumbling lasting effects?
It's not the fumbling that's the problem, it's multiplying dice you don't have. If I have a single d10 and I use it to put a Blessing on five guys within two inches, who do I Leave my d10 on? I only have one. (And if I give myself five "virtual" d10s and put one on each guy, does that mean that everyone within two inches of them on their next turn gets a die as well?) I want to make sure nobody ever has the option to "Leave" more dice than they actually have, otherwise it gets into wishing-for-more-wishes territory and the rules lawyer vultures start circling overhead.
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:17 pm

Wouldn't you just pick one guy and just have it centered on him?

stubby

Post by stubby » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:35 am

Sure, if I could rely on BrikWars players not to be asses.

Unlimited Overkill
Nice Dubs

Post by Unlimited Overkill » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:06 pm

IVhorseman wrote:Wouldn't you just pick one guy and just have it centered on him?
What if you put the curse in the middle of them? Sort of like a field hazard, as long as a minifig is within 2" of the marker, he feels the Blessing/Curse.

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:20 pm

Yeah, you'd just leave the die next to them as a marker. I suppose the assy thing to do would be to clump up as many guys as possible into that 2" radius, but thankfully explosives are the proper response to this easily resolved situation.

Unlimited Overkill
Nice Dubs

Post by Unlimited Overkill » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:23 am

I had another idea: When a unit receives a 1d12 armor buff, instead of giving them +1d12 armor, give them 'armored' status. Thoughts?

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:51 pm

If d12 bypasses armor on attacks, this suggestion actually makes a lot of sense. Kinda the same thing, but in reverse.

samuelzz10
n00b
n00b

Post by samuelzz10 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:23 pm

stubby wrote:Resurrection, retroactive, and lasting effects are no longer possible in the updated system, although dead bodies can be animated on a turn-by-turn basis.
Ok, but what about a physical manifestation of say, a bridge?

EXAMPLE TIME: An air ninja has 3d6 and 1d8 to create a bridge with thickened air density to help some non-magik ninjas get to the other side. it is 20" to get to the other side, and he puts 2d6 to skill, and 1d6+1d8 to range. his skill roll is 6, so that is ok, but his length roll is only 13". It will take 2 turns for the ninjas to make it as he expected, but thankfully they've already made it half way across. he only has to roll 8" on length next turn. the ninja's can jump the other 7", while they wonder what will happen to their sensei.

Is that ok to use?
Spoiler
Show
my old sig
WARNING: Posts in forum may have been edited by forum

Rev. Sylvanus
Galidor
Galidor

Post by Rev. Sylvanus » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:55 pm

samuelzz10 wrote:Ok, but what about a physical manifestation of say, a bridge?

EXAMPLE TIME: An air ninja has 3d6 and 1d8 to create a bridge with thickened air density to help some non-magik ninjas get to the other side. it is 20" to get to the other side, and he puts 2d6 to skill, and 1d6+1d8 to range. his skill roll is 6, so that is ok, but his length roll is only 13". It will take 2 turns for the ninjas to make it as he expected, but thankfully they've already made it half way across. he only has to roll 8" on length next turn. the ninja's can jump the other 7", while they wonder what will happen to their sensei.

Is that ok to use?
For your example, skill rolls are no longer required for supernatural effects. Stubby will have to weigh in, but the question that pops into my mind is how you are taking into account all the dimensions needed. I.e. the bridge needs to be long, but wide as well for the ninjas to cross.

It totally avoids your questions, but an easier solution would be to give your air ninja a 1d10 instead of 1d8, use the 1d10 to make sure all of his buddies get hit by the effect, and then throw 3d6 at increased move for everyone for the turn. I suspect that many of the things a wizard could want to do through "physical manifestation" can be replicated by skill/move/damage/armor/range modifications.
For Your Reading Pleasure: Rev's Battle Reports

Reference Sheets: Animals and Mounts / Medieval Weapons

Factions: Dragon Guard / Hiimboredagain Raiders

stubby

Post by stubby » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:53 am

Basically correct. I found that creation and summoning type effects were too easy to abuse so I've left them out of the supernatural system for now and made separate Spawning rules for them.

As for the question about which dimensions to use, all Size measurements in BrikWars are based on the largest single dimension, ignoring all others. Earlier editions used additional dimensions, but in practice it added almost nothing to the game other than needless extra bookkeeping.

samuelzz10
n00b
n00b

Post by samuelzz10 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:48 pm

I tested fire ninja rules yesterday, (in my homebrew thread) and me and my friend played a battle where a ninja with some cover had to kill as many awesome soldiers as possible.(there were 20). we took turns trying the map, and both times we each managed to get a high score of 13 minifigs killed. (the ninja had an extra action, btw)
Spoiler
Show
my old sig
WARNING: Posts in forum may have been edited by forum

darkpaladin
Officer

Post by darkpaladin » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:32 pm

I think that there should be magikal items like heroic weapons that give bonus dice for magik when a stipulation is met
For example bill the warlock is equipped with the two handed axe of gore, this is an axe that counts like a regular axe but every time he causes damage to something that can bleed (minifigs not skeletons, giant eagles not mechs) he adds a 1d6 to his magik dice pool for the turn.
There may be something for this in the rules but I looked and I couldn't find it