Moderators: Timedude, Olothontor

RunsWithLegos
Official Duck
Official Duck

Re: X-com remake

Post by RunsWithLegos » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:40 pm

i bet you played on easy.

Tzan
Has anyone ever used those holes before?

Post by Tzan » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:52 pm

I played on normal, then again on easy, It wasn't very different.
I knew about the importance of satellites, so I pushed those out the second time.

I wish there was a mode to just play the tactical game, the other stuff is just for delivering the story. Other than story delivery its just boring after you have done it once.

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:45 am

There's a very slight difference between easy and normal. They give a little extra cash, a starter satellite, more HP for your guys, and the like. The jump in difficulty happens when you load up classic and above. Mostly, that difficulty lies in the number of HP enemies have and the bonuses they get to damage, aim, and criticals. Your money is the same, I think, but you have to build from the ground up (no officer training school, no starter sat, so on). And you get way less scientists/engineers at higher levels.

I generally agree with Tzan, though. While the HQ stuff does have a tactical element to it, its fairly simplistic. The small set of logical steps to produce best output doesn't change from diff to diff, it just gives you less time to accomplish them. So, outside of delivering the story (which, like anything, once you've seen it...) its only real value is in keeping things "tense" by making you struggle to keep up. The real value of the game is in the tactical play.

As a total package, its a win.

Warhead
kaka pants

Post by Warhead » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:06 am

RunsWithLegos wrote:i bet you played on easy.

classic you little tart! :csi:

I set up my heavies and snipers in good firing positions without activating much and then send my assault guys in to see what they can find and flush the bulb-heads, etc out. When anything does try to move into assault range it usually gets blasted from overwatch or what ever's left is finished off. All my guys are Colonels now and I've only lost one man, plus the three you always lose in the tutorial pish.

Tzan, I've not had time yet to try this out yet but doesn't the multi-player option pit player against player in tactical battles? ONLINE!!! (I have no online ability for my sons XBox, yet).

I agree with QuantumSmurfer.

GeneralOfDeath
Cannon Fodder

Post by GeneralOfDeath » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:39 am

Let's see, I've got one classic game sitting around that I haven't been anal snuggled in yet, and a few normals I'm running for the heck of it. Honestly, I suck at classic, so I'll give you a story from normal.

Last night, I made a ton of progress on one game, including capturing a specific alien. It involved finding a landed large scout, where I promptly spawned three mutons at the end of my turn, three more on the next, and the final three along with the one I need to capture. My shotgun assault had the only arc thrower, along with two rifle assaults, a support, heavy, and sniper, and the battle became a huge mess of keep arc guy alive, kill mutons, DO NOT KILL THE TARGET. Overwatch and disabling shot were invaluable for keeping it in place, hunker down to keep him from shooting, and lightning reflexes to ruin his inevitable overwatch. In the end, it was the concentrated efforts of three troops with help from the sniper to finally capture it.
Let's Play X-Com: UFO Defense

The New Guy's Guide to the Brikwars Forums

Threads Won: 1 2

Times Banned: 6

Time Banned: 4 Days 2 Hours

Warhead
kaka pants

Post by Warhead » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:59 am

:D :tiger: Excellent work.

I've still to capture anything yet. Everything keeps getting shot... HEY! NOT MY FAULT! :(

The Shadowscythe
Touch my cloud song and I will fuck you up
Touch my cloud song and I will fuck you up
Location: Llandysul, Ceredigion, Wales, U.K, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe.

Post by The Shadowscythe » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:06 pm

Warhead wrote::D :tiger: Excellent work.

I've still to capture anything yet. Everything keeps getting shot... HEY! NOT MY FAULT! :(
Confirmed for easy modo. :omnom:

Try recording your efforts Warhead, I have actually beaten the game three times - I am deadly deadly serious when I say the game only hates me when I am recording for youtube - BUT - it makes for more entertaining gaming that way. :lol:
-- WARNINK -- LINK BELOW IZ KNOWN TO CAUZE HEMMORAGE --
Spoiler
Show

I WARNED YOU, DIDN'T I WARN YOU?! BLAME RAYHAWK DAMNIT.

Tzan

Post by Tzan » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:01 pm

Quantumsurfer wrote:I generally agree with Tzan
Warhead wrote:I agree with QuantumSmurfer.
I agree with Warhead.

( I havent done anything with the multiplayer. )

Kalvinator
in need of one still

Post by Kalvinator » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:02 am

You're back! Good to see ya.

Tzan

Post by Tzan » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:01 am

Thanks!
Its nice to be back.

Warhead
kaka pants

Post by Warhead » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:17 am

I agree with Tzan, about a great many things... but mostly about frozen yogurt.

Tzan

Post by Tzan » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:25 am

I never touch the stuff.

Pwnerade
Mega Blok

Post by Pwnerade » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:15 pm

Warhead, Y U no make a Let's Play X-COM! video? Please make one while piss drunk, if you can.
An army marches on its stomach, and its favorite food is fudge.

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:17 am

Warhead wrote:QuantumSmurfer.
Ha. I chuckled.
Pwnerade wrote:Warhead, Y U no make a Let's Play X-COM! video? Please make one while piss drunk, if you can.
I'd watch it.

So, I generally do the same thing, putting shooters on overwatch (because overwatch is the boss that will always save your bacon) and storming in assaults. I change my mission team up depending on the mission type. You can usually tell from all the preamble what kind of map you're landing in. I prefer 2 assaults, 2 supports, and a heavy pretty much always. The last guy cycles based on need. With long shooting ranges, I take a sniper but I'll dump him in an urban environment unless I've 1) developed plasma tech and 2) gave him the move and shoot ability instead of squad sight. If I know I'm facing large numbers, taking another heavy is a good choice because 2 grenades and 2 rockets. On the other hand, more healing has saved me so many times that I always consider a third support as well. I only take a third assault when I'm feeling the need for some superfluous and gratuitous ultraviolence. If its early yet and I haven't trained up my guys/haven't bought the squaddie ability in the OTS, my sixth man will be a rook.

I like to open most missions with a full on dash. Its one of the only times you can safely do so and it makes the mission that much faster. Then I do as Pwnerade suggests and grab as much cover as possible but I space them out so they can't be blown apart by Muton grenades very easily. Still together enough, though, that they can cover redundant fire lanes. You can be a little more lenient when you've got the stealth suit on your assaults, though. Just run in and auto crit those little bastards to hell before they even get a reaction animation while your sniper, heavy, and supports (especially the supports) pick off stragglers.
GeneralOfDeath wrote:In the end, it was the concentrated efforts of three troops with help from the sniper to finally capture it.
Well done. You don't have to do the priority stuff as it pops up, though. Little easier if you hold off a minute. In fact, some stuff it seems like you should wait a good bit. I got kind of stuck my first game because I built the hyperwave decoder before I researched the new interceptors. Couldn't take down overseer UFOs at that point and my supply of everything dried right up.

Warhead
kaka pants

Post by Warhead » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:04 am

Honest truth... I wouldn't know how and my games wouldn't be as exciting as Shadows as I always play it safe tactically, not very Brikwars. It'd be funnier if I had online ability for my sons Xbox and played Shadow and taped that.