The new Chima line

Creations, construction techniques, and news from the world of plastic toys

Moderators: Dr. X, ikensall, fredde

Ishnox
i don't know why i made this

The new Chima line

Post by Ishnox » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:39 pm

Hey. What do you guys think of the new Chima line, if you've bought any sets? I got a couple, and, while including some rather useful and interesting pieces, like a new Technic-style connector and neato wing pieces, the 'figs seemed a little... Exclusive. I truly have no idea what to do with the weird-ass animal helmets, though I love the total balls-out look on the alt head on Razcal.
I Am.
Don't Doubt Me.

Silverdream
Nice use of noise

Re: The new Chima line

Post by Silverdream » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:45 pm

Torsos and legs are goddamn cool. I got the Bird Tank a few weeks ago for the treads and I thought the whole set was awesome.
This sig is too fucking large: show anyway
Image lol j/k

Ishnox

Post by Ishnox » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:28 pm

I really like the design of the Croc boat thingy. I'll agree, I also like that all of the Chima have clawed toes. The lion guys are really dumb looking, though. The shoulder pads are really cool, and they allow minifigs an ability rare in today's minifigs - that of actually being able to turn their heads. I got two of the "speedorz" and they have a metal wheel that actually spins really well.
I Am.
Don't Doubt Me.

aoffan23
You can nail me with your wood. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Post by aoffan23 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:00 pm

I got the eagle jet set, and I'm planning on getting more. Currently on my "to-get" list are the eagle Speedor, the little raven set, and the freaking awesome bigger raven set. I agree that the lions look like absolute asshole, but the rest actually look really nice. I particularly like the ravens and eagles, but those wolves are great, too.

I do kind of want to pick up one or two of the lion sets, just to stock up on parts in that bright orange colour.

I also really like how each faction has its own style in terms of the vehicles. The eagles have clean, solid vehicles. The ravens have ramshackle, rivety vehicles. The lions have vehicle frames with an armoured cab (kind of lazy, but it works in terms of setting them apart from the others). The crocs have spiky, industrial-looking vehicles. The wolves only have one actual vehicle set so far, but it looks like they'll have that riveted sheet metal look to them, with a lot of chains.
Spoiler
Show
Tzan wrote:
Quantumsurfer wrote:I generally agree with Tzan
Warhead wrote:I agree with QuantumSmurfer.
I agree with Warhead.

Bragallot
MULTIPLE, SIMULTANEOUS AND DEVASTATING DEFENSIVE DEEP STRIKES!!!

Post by Bragallot » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:02 pm

So far, I'm not too impressed by them, though I can see (some) potential.
Fantasy battles - Scifi battles
Kommander Ken wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:04 pm
Wtf is this thread?

Ishnox

Post by Ishnox » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:16 pm

To me, the dumbest part involves the stuff outside of the sets themselves - like the fact that they're making a TV show. It looks like the most horrendous tie-in ever.
Not to mention that these are soon going to be the heathen models, as with ninjango, they'll soon unleash the magical Gen 2 Speedorz, mysteriously incompatible with everything from the first series.
I Am.
Don't Doubt Me.

Zahru II
I kinda like it if the lady's dominant...
I kinda like it if the lady's dominant...

Post by Zahru II » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:41 am

I only want the wing pieces and the armor pieces that accomodate those from this line.
My stuff: Medivo / Armylists / Battles / SPACE

Cakeman
Cannon Fodder

Post by Cakeman » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:04 pm

I think the figs would easily fit into a beast faction with minotaurs, centaurs etc. (the insectoids from the new space line has more of a brikthulesque feel to them..). I don't have any of the chima sets yet but think they look pretty good. I don't know if ill go chima or lotr...

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Post by IVhorseman » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:37 pm

Yeah this is great fodder for medieval beast-men. I like the crocs and ravens, but proooobably am not getting any of em. Crocs make good aliens too, and the eagle/raven wings are stupidly useful too.

The croc boats is one of the coolest-looking LEGO boats I've seen in a while.

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:01 am

I love it. A few years ago, our gaming group switched over to Lego for use in tabletop RPGs (we were doing d20 Star Wars at the time and it coincided with Lego's re-release of the line) in place of D&D miniatures and whatnot. So it became something of a thing for a few of us (the ones already into Lego) to collect and diversify minifigure parts. The SW alien heads were a big part of that but we always wanted something a little more fantasy. This serves that bill very nicely, right along with some of the Minifigure Series guys.

Plus, if you look, many of the sets have a shitload of neat parts that might be easier to get through the sets than through Bricklink (provided you needed them).

Also, I like animal people as a concept. I created a savage lands type campaign setting some time back that utilized that crap out of anthropomorphic creatures and other such hybrid variants.

So yeah, I'm a big goddamn fan.

morganm
Dimmy

Post by morganm » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:27 am

Hey I'm also switching from metal / plastic minis to Lego for all our PathfinderLITERPG gaming.

I looked at a few sets when I was at Wal-Mart. They look cool. I don't care for the extra gamey bits like the Ninjago stuff but whatever; I don't have to use it.

The minifigs look rad though. Love the new heads, torso / leg designs, new pieces, etc. etc. Some of the sets looked like a quick way to get several rubber tank treads which I'm lacking.

So I really don't care about the Chima line, its story, or whatever.... I just like the new pieces =)

aoffan23

Post by aoffan23 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:57 am

The Speedorz actually look more useful than the Ninjago spinners. How can you complain about giant lion heads? The BrikWars potential with those things is crazy. I hope we see some giant eagles or wolves on here at some point.
Spoiler
Show
Tzan wrote:
I agree with Warhead.

Ishnox

Post by Ishnox » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:58 pm

The lion heads sound really cool, but the fact that they have to have heads under them and the goofy-as-hell expressions on them means they're only good in my book for mounting on spears.
I Am.
Don't Doubt Me.

Ishnox

Post by Ishnox » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:00 pm

Or do you mean the ones on the vehicles? I enjoy those considerably more.
I Am.
Don't Doubt Me.

aoffan23

Post by aoffan23 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:27 pm

ishnox wrote:Or do you mean the ones on the vehicles? I enjoy those considerably more.
I meant the ones on the Speedorz. Example:

As for the minifig heads, I don't really like them. I can see why they'd print full animal faces on them, but it makes them less usable. I think the main problem with them is the spacing of the eyes. The fact that they're spaced out to fit the large head piece makes them look way too far apart on the head itself. I do think the wolf and lion head look significantly better than the eagle and raven ones, though. The printed beaks just look off.
Spoiler
Show
Tzan wrote:
I agree with Warhead.