Why does America (the people) hate America (the country)?

You know, whatever

Moderators: Almighty Benny, Blitzen, Silent-sigfig

Re: Why does America (the people) hate America (the country)

Postby samuelzz10 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:41 pm

Bragallot wrote:Who are 'they'? I'm one person, not representing a group of people or any mass of land, and I don't go around prancing through the streets of Europe claiming everything here smells of roses if that's what you're thinking.

Every foreign person I know. I'm actually British, my parents are south African, and I still think america is a better place than fuckin' france. Place is full of pussies. (Kind of hypocritical, but you know it's true.) seriously, the place has its problems but considering when they say "deaths in america" they are talking about a place nearly the size of europe, and then they compare the UK's numbers and a 50 state democracies numbers and they expect america to match up with the UK's numbers. It doesn't work like that.
Kalvinator wrote:
samuelzz10 wrote:Truth be told, no place is good on earth.


That's deep man.
Well, it's true.
Image
Spoiler: show
my old sig
Image

WARNING: Posts in forum may have been edited by forum
User avatar
samuelzz10
n00b
n00b
 
Posts: 1461
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:09 pm
Location: planet express

Re: Why does America (the people) hate America (the country)

Postby Silverdream » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:57 pm

samuelzz10 wrote:
Bragallot wrote:Who are 'they'? I'm one person, not representing a group of people or any mass of land, and I don't go around prancing through the streets of Europe claiming everything here smells of roses if that's what you're thinking.

Every foreign person I know. I'm actually British, my parents are south African, and I still think america is a better place than fuckin' france. Place is full of pussies. (Kind of hypocritical, but you know it's true.) seriously, the place has its problems but considering when they say "deaths in america" they are talking about a place nearly the size of europe, and then they compare the UK's numbers and a 50 state democracies numbers and they expect america to match up with the UK's numbers. It doesn't work like that.
Kalvinator wrote:
samuelzz10 wrote:Truth be told, no place is good on earth.


That's deep man.
Well, it's true.


The USA is bigger than Europe. France is a country of badasses and the only cultural problem I can think of in France is the widespread perversion and sexual harassment. Jean Lafitte and his pirate army as well as the French Navy helped give the USA freedom. When Piltogg Germany was on the rise, Winston Churchill unironically thanked god for having the French army. The routing of the French army is still somewhat of a Piltogg miracle. The rest of your post makes almost no sense.
Image

Spoiler: show
mgb519 wrote:Seriously, you are now the first ever forum superhero.


Colette wrote:I hereby acknowledge Silverdream as the one and only forum troll as agreed in the bet.


Quantumsurfer wrote:No, I have 2 silver.
User avatar
Silverdream
Blockguy
 
Posts: 6778
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:33 pm
Location: In a giant pile of potatoes and red meat.

Re: Why does America (the people) hate America (the country)

Postby samuelzz10 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:53 pm

If there was a country of 5 people, and one of 500 people, and you said the one with 500 was more violent, that's fucking obvious
Image
Spoiler: show
my old sig
Image

WARNING: Posts in forum may have been edited by forum
User avatar
samuelzz10
n00b
n00b
 
Posts: 1461
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:09 pm
Location: planet express

Re: Why does America (the people) hate America (the country)

Postby Silverdream » Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:17 pm

Do you understand the meaning of per capita, motherfucker?!

Image

These are the world's homicide rates. The darker the country is the more violent (per capita) it is. Now I may be colour blind, but I can still see that the USA is darker than most European countries. While I agree with you that Europe isn't a utopia (the neo-nazi movements and rascism are more prevalent than in North America), you are less likely to get murdered there.
Image

Spoiler: show
mgb519 wrote:Seriously, you are now the first ever forum superhero.


Colette wrote:I hereby acknowledge Silverdream as the one and only forum troll as agreed in the bet.


Quantumsurfer wrote:No, I have 2 silver.
User avatar
Silverdream
Blockguy
 
Posts: 6778
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:33 pm
Location: In a giant pile of potatoes and red meat.

Re: Why does America (the people) hate America (the country)

Postby samuelzz10 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:59 pm

Silverdream wrote:Do you understand the meaning of per capita, motherfucker?!

Image

These are the world's homicide rates. The darker the country is the more violent (per capita) it is. Now I may be colour blind, but I can still see that the USA is darker than most European countries. While I agree with you that Europe isn't a utopia (the neo-nazi movements and rascism are more prevalent than in North America), you are less likely to get murdered there.

Very well
Image
Spoiler: show
my old sig
Image

WARNING: Posts in forum may have been edited by forum
User avatar
samuelzz10
n00b
n00b
 
Posts: 1461
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:09 pm
Location: planet express

Re: Why does America (the people) hate America (the country)

Postby Zahru II » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:04 pm

Whoa man, the North Pole looks like a shit place to hang out
BFenix wrote:Zahru kicks so much ass!

Best rank+avatar combo on the boards

My stuff: Medivo / Armylists / Battles / SPACE
User avatar
Zahru II
balls just have this nasty tendency to wear out over time
 
Posts: 3985
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:22 am
Location: Hüngäry

Re: Why does America (the people) hate America (the country)

Postby stubby » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:12 pm

Keldoclock wrote:You said everyone was not part of The Militia- All american citizens, by virtue of being american citizens, are part of The Militia (although they may or may not be part of a militia)

Regardless of which definition of "well-regulated militia" you're using, there are very few American citizens who can pretend they're a part of one. Why do you think the Founders made sure to mention a well-regulated militia at all, if they just meant everybody?

Keldoclock wrote:I am willing to deny firearms rights to felons and the mentally ill if you still feel uneasy, providing there is some method for felons and the mentally ill to clear their names, perhaps after a two decades of good behavior or after a board of psychiatrists deems a man sane enough to be trusted with a firearm and any other rights that they may otherwise be denied. It would be horrible to create second-class citizens, and we should avoid that as much as possible.

Yeah, tell that to the War on Drugs. The guys who cooked up this modern version of the "right to bear arms" debacle are the same ones who set up the Southern Strategy.
User avatar
stubby
forum janitor
 
Posts: 4347
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:31 pm

Re: Why does America (the people) hate America (the country)

Postby Nitewatchman » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:40 pm

This thread is getting a little out of hand, but I'd just like to respond to the ludicrous notion that the Belgian documentary introduced where guns limit freedom of speech.

If anything, what that man said was a GOOD thing, because it could potentially force us to come at arguments and disagreements from a reasonable perspective rather than allowing them to escalate to violence and be filled with high emotion. However, that's still just a behavioral modification tactic.

That being said, I'm not advocating the idea that everyone should have a gun; I'm advocating the idea that everyone should have the right to have a gun, or really, further, I'm saying that either way it doesn't make much difference. The argument that everyone having access to them puts us all in this society of constant danger and instability is nonsense, as is the idea that giving us guns will make everything better. These ideas are based on the deeper idea that taking away or giving us guns is magically going to change who we are as a people. It is incredibly presumptuous, and is based on the logic that people only do things because they can, not because of who they are, or what is inside of them. That exogesic idea is nonsense. "Well maybe that will enable us to begin to change!" Sure, if behavioral modification is actually a way to change who people really are, and not how they act and react in a certain environment. :-/ The whole gun control thing needs to be approached, but the current approach is not the right one. It is one derived from the percieved need for immediate change and the belief that such spontaneous change can actually happen, and that is foolish and dangerous. We aren't looking at things in a long-term sense, nor are we examining the value of our actions(Though we often say we are); we're just zealously attempting to justify what we're doing rather than objectively examining it.

Edit:
Silverdream wrote:Do you understand the meaning of per capita, motherfucker?!

Image

These are the world's homicide rates. The darker the country is the more violent (per capita) it is. Now I may be colour blind, but I can still see that the USA is darker than most European countries. While I agree with you that Europe isn't a utopia (the neo-nazi movements and rascism are more prevalent than in North America), you are less likely to get murdered there.

What the hell, Greenland!? Is that place still full of vikings or what!?
Silverdream wrote:MOST UNLIKED BY SILVERDREAM
Nominees
-Nitewatchman
-Blitzen
-muffinman42
-Vami IV

WINNER: Nitewatchman
User avatar
Nitewatchman
Galidor
 
Posts: 1077
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 2:00 pm
Location: Pants.

Re: Why does America (the people) hate America (the country)

Postby Zahru II » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:50 pm

Nitewatchman wrote:What the hell, Greenland!? Is that place still full of vikings or what!?


The secret is out
BFenix wrote:Zahru kicks so much ass!

Best rank+avatar combo on the boards

My stuff: Medivo / Armylists / Battles / SPACE
User avatar
Zahru II
balls just have this nasty tendency to wear out over time
 
Posts: 3985
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:22 am
Location: Hüngäry

Re: Why does America (the people) hate America (the country)

Postby Tzan » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:41 pm

Yeah, Greenland looks crazy dangerous, yikes.

Probably just low population, little to no police presence, too many guns and people go nuts.
User avatar
Tzan
Pooplord
 
Posts: 4628
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:41 pm
Location: Boston

Re: Why does America (the people) hate America (the country)

Postby GeneralOfDeath » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:52 pm

aoffan23 wrote:
GeneralOfDeath wrote:Remember that a well-regulated militia would be made up of individual landowners, each bringing their own equipment (see: gun) to the unit. So, in the end the second ammendment defends personal ownership for the purpose keeping civilian militias feasable.


No, it means that a certain amount of people who form a militia can have guns. It doesn't mean everyone and their dog can have one, because not everyone is part of the militia.


The text of the Second Ammendment wrote:A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed


The 2nd ammendment is the only one to state a purpose for it's existance, which is where your confusion is coming from. A militia, such as existed in the 18th century, consisted of everyone and their dog who wanted to join bringing their own privately owned weapons. Think about this logically. When the 2nd was penned, a weapon was considered a nesecarry tool of survival in most of America, allowing one to hunt and to defend against thieves/indians. The 2nd states that the government will not interfere with the right of Americans to own weapons because they want militias to exist, but everybody else in America is blanketed by that statement as well.
Last edited by GeneralOfDeath on Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Let's Play X-Com: UFO Defense

The New Guy's Guide to the Brikwars Forums

Threads Won: 1 2

Times Banned: 6

Time Banned: 4 Days 2 Hours
TROLOLO
GeneralOfDeath
Jaw-Jaw
 
Posts: 937
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:18 am
Location: Waiting for my ban to expire

Re: Why does America (the people) hate America (the country)

Postby Tzan » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:40 pm

We don't need a militia anymore.
User avatar
Tzan
Pooplord
 
Posts: 4628
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:41 pm
Location: Boston

Re: Why does America (the people) hate America (the country)

Postby Zupponn » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:40 pm

Bragallot wrote:It's not an experiment we'd be able to do, but give one psycho an assault rifle and another a knife, and send them into a school. Who would get the most kills? Which school would you rather be in? Which guy would you have the best chance of disarming, or running from? I think the choice is easily made. Guns, no matter what other views you have on them, are certainly the easiest way of killing large amounts of people.

If a person is going to do this in a world where guns are "outlawed", he'd find a way to get a gun anyways.
Image
User avatar
Zupponn
No Lego part truly dies
No Lego part truly dies
 
Posts: 5065
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:15 pm
Location: Wisconsin, land of the cheese

Re: Why does America (the people) hate America (the country)

Postby Silverdream » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:54 pm

Zupponn wrote:
Bragallot wrote:It's not an experiment we'd be able to do, but give one psycho an assault rifle and another a knife, and send them into a school. Who would get the most kills? Which school would you rather be in? Which guy would you have the best chance of disarming, or running from? I think the choice is easily made. Guns, no matter what other views you have on them, are certainly the easiest way of killing large amounts of people.

If a person is going to do this in a world where guns are "outlawed", he'd find a way to get a gun anyways.


Hell, in Chechnya the rebels made guns like these:

Image

Image

Image

Point is anyone with some ingenuity can make a gun or worse.

Image

Narco Tank.

Image

Killdozer.
Image

Spoiler: show
mgb519 wrote:Seriously, you are now the first ever forum superhero.


Colette wrote:I hereby acknowledge Silverdream as the one and only forum troll as agreed in the bet.


Quantumsurfer wrote:No, I have 2 silver.
User avatar
Silverdream
Blockguy
 
Posts: 6778
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:33 pm
Location: In a giant pile of potatoes and red meat.

Re: Why does America (the people) hate America (the country)

Postby Zupponn » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:17 pm

Exactly. The people who want guns are going to have them no matter what happens, so what's the point?
Image
User avatar
Zupponn
No Lego part truly dies
No Lego part truly dies
 
Posts: 5065
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:15 pm
Location: Wisconsin, land of the cheese

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest