ULTIMATE BRIKWARS

You know, whatever

Moderators: Blitzen, Silent-sigfig, Almighty Benny

Re: ULTIMATE BRIKWARS

Postby Quantumsurfer » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:15 am

6. Good point. I tend to get ahead of myself when I begin or participate in projects but there's no real reason I can't reign that in.
7. Thing is, there's enough to do already and I don't want to make more work for someone else by being ignorant. Also, I'm not sure how much creative license I would have. Which I could solve by asking. So I'll do that now. That is, is there a structure or plan? Things we don't want to see, things we do? Does it matter? If I create derivative content out of the blue, is that ok to post? Or does it need to be something that already exists in the community?

But mostly I meant that I would collaborate when I could in my free time.
Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Colette.

Postby Colette » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:47 am

stubby wrote:Why aren't you able?

6: No time? - make small edits
7: Don't know what you're doing? - neither does anyone else. it's a wiki, someone will come along and fix it if you mess something up
8: Not important enough? - what? who cares?

If you need practice, you can always help the effort to import entries from the old wiki to the new one.

Pictures. That actually takes effort, and I'm sure you of all people understand why that is a bad thing.
Because everything's better with math...and firepower.
Colette
I for one personally welcome clown face bologna

Postby Bragallot » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:23 am

But I thought we had a new Wiki because we no longer wanted the old pages? Or am I wrong? Otherwise, I'll just re-import (after editing) the bit of stuff I had on the old Wiki some time. I'd help out more but I'm always hesitant to Wikify other people's stuff, since there's always a lot of quirks and stuff on factions that usually only the creator knows.
Encyclopedia Bragtanica - Fantasy Battles - Scifi Battles - Crimson Crusade
lawmaster wrote:
Bragallot wrote:
lawmaster wrote:Kill the guy I'm in cc with.
He's already dead.
Kill him again.
Bragallot
Forum Authority on Bragging Rights

Postby aoffan23 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:21 pm

Back on the subject of this second universe for a moment:

So far, two people have said that an entire second universe is less confusing than one infinite one. What? I'm not familiar with the contradictions you're talking about, but feel free to point them out, and I'll try to resolve them.

What's wrong with just saying that the character that "died" in a battle didn't actually die? Maybe they got picked up by a party of their troops who came looking for survivors, and healed back at their base. Maybe that explosion was a perfect opportunity to teleport away from the battle. Maybe it was just a clone or sphincter. Maybe they're immortal. Maybe they died on an ancient burial ground and got revived by magik.

Yes, these are all kind of cop-outs, but if someone has built up the story of their character for a long time, leaving it to the luck of the dice to decide whether or not they die is kind of... strange, I guess. Especially when they just get shot by some random soldier and fall down. If someone wants their character to suffer a death worthy of a supreme commander, then I don't see why some random player who uses the character in a battle should get to decide their fate. If the creator actually wants to move the story of their army forward (which we only really see with Zahru's and Brag's battles, which is a shame), then they'll decide whether they actually died. Just because they use a cop-out excuse, doesn't mean players should get to mess with people's bacstories whenever they feel like it.
Tzan wrote:
Quantumsurfer wrote:I generally agree with Tzan
Warhead wrote:I agree with QuantumSmurfer.

I agree with Warhead.
aoffan23
Pooplord

Postby Colette » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:15 pm

aoffan23 wrote:...but if someone has built up the story of their character for a long time, leaving it to the luck of the dice to decide whether or not they die is kind of... strange, I guess. Especially when they just get shot by some random soldier and fall down...

I wish God thought the same way too. :?
Because everything's better with math...and firepower.
Colette
I for one personally welcome clown face bologna

Postby aoffan23 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:45 pm

Colette wrote:
aoffan23 wrote:...but if someone has built up the story of their character for a long time, leaving it to the luck of the dice to decide whether or not they die is kind of... strange, I guess. Especially when they just get shot by some random soldier and fall down...

I wish God thought the same way too. :?

:man:
Tzan wrote:
Quantumsurfer wrote:I generally agree with Tzan
Warhead wrote:I agree with QuantumSmurfer.

I agree with Warhead.
aoffan23
Pooplord

Postby GeneralOfDeath » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:53 pm

Who says God doesn't load the dice?
Let's Play X-Com: UFO Defense

The New Guy's Guide to the Brikwars Forums

Threads Won: 1 2

Times Banned: 6

Time Banned: 4 Days 2 Hours
TROLOLO
GeneralOfDeath
Jaw-Jaw

Postby Bragallot » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:06 pm

aoffan23 wrote:If the creator actually wants to move the story of their army forward (which we only really see with Zahru's and Brag's battles, which is a shame), then they'll decide whether they actually died.

Let's give credit where credit's due and also mention FISH!!! :) (even though I have no idea where he disappeared to :( )

Yeah, I try to avoid making it so they can't be defeated because that's kinda lame and unfair, but the characters that are important for the story will probably return even if they're 'killed', though death will always put them out of action for a while (Miranda, Phineus or Cales, for example) or at least have some sort of effect (like Xalen becoming more like a demon). Then there's the ossum factor, basically the belief that the powers of ossum will always bring a character back to life somehow if he's ossum enough, and the other way around, if he sucks, he'll just stay dead. Brockram, for example, got back after he'd been 'killed' in game because he'd kicked ass in two battles before that already, and people seemed to like him. If he dies in the next battle he's in though, he might be in trouble. Prince Vinambre and Konrad had less luck, since they never got to kick much ass, they most likely died permanently. I can also understand people bringing leaders back because they don't want to have to create a new character every time one is killed, especially not if they only have enough spare parts to swap the guy's head (which is what I would most likely have to if I wanted to create a new Wolfpack leader, I've simply kept the Konrad fig but taken his stuff though) unless you'd take parts from somewhere else, or if they still have some other use for the fig or simply don't want to take it apart because they like the design / character (again, as with Konrad).
lawmaster wrote:
Bragallot wrote:
He's already dead.
Kill him again.
Bragallot

Postby stubby » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:11 pm

Bragallot wrote:But I thought we had a new Wiki because we no longer wanted the old pages? Or am I wrong? Otherwise, I'll just re-import (after editing) the bit of stuff I had on the old Wiki some time. I'd help out more but I'm always hesitant to Wikify other people's stuff, since there's always a lot of quirks and stuff on factions that usually only the creator knows.

:rule7:, except for canon instead of thread topics.

Eh. If they care enough to object then they care enough to fix it. If it was that big a deal to them, they would have made the entry themselves. Either they appreciate the changes or they don't; it's not something I've ever been too worried about.

aoffan23 wrote:What's wrong with just saying that the character that "died" in a battle didn't actually die? Maybe they got picked up by a party of their troops who came looking for survivors, and healed back at their base. Maybe that explosion was a perfect opportunity to teleport away from the battle. Maybe it was just a clone or sphincter. Maybe they're immortal. Maybe they died on an ancient burial ground and got revived by magik.

6.2: The Ego wrote:The Immortal Hero
    Heroes have a way of always popping back up in one form or another no matter how many times you think you've killed them. If defeated, you'll discover that they were only captured in preparation for a daring escape, or left for dead in anticipation of a daring recovery. If killed, they are revived by magic, or science, or the will of the gods, or else it turns out that their wounds were exaggerated. If decapitated, it was really a robot double, or a clone, or an alternate-dimension doppelganger. If disintegrated, Heroes are teleported away or secretly rescued at the last second by a massive retcon.

Even in the rare circumstance in which a Hero's death was so Heroic and dramatic that it could never be taken back or plausibly denied, it inevitably turns out that they have a previously-unknown identical twin who is now determined to avenge their death.

No amount of deaths or defeats can prevent the best characters from finding a way to keep returning - unless they're boring, in which case nothing can save them.
I figure BrikWars are like soap operas, whatever happened yesterday will turn out to be a different story today if that's what's necessary for the storyline. Raskolnikov got blown into tiny pieces? Nonsense, that was an exaggeration, he was just called away for an important fancy dress ball.
stubby
Psy.D Manchild Psychology, U. of Wikipedia

Postby Bragallot » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:22 pm

Yeah, obviously when Warhead thought he'd killed Karl Von Bragstein, it was merely a mechanical version of himself he tossed out of the armour to distract the undead, I mean, I still can't believe he thought that actually happened.
lawmaster wrote:
Bragallot wrote:
He's already dead.
Kill him again.
Bragallot

Postby Zahru II » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:27 pm

Hey guys, don't forget Semaj, his storyline is pretty boss too!

Anyways, I think you guys are overthinking this a bit. Just do whatever you want and fudge it in the canon, at worst others will fudge an excuse why it didn't happen exactly like that. Warhead sphincters are a great example for this. Whenever I'll have the cash to blow on space stuff and amass armies to play/host battles with, I probably won't give a flying fuck about the whole intergalactic dealio that's happening (not to shit on other guys' stuff, most of it is very cool; it's just more convenient for me that way). I mean, the brikverse is huge, you can definitely find your spot in it.

Yeah, obviously when Warhead thought he'd killed Karl Von Bragstein, it was merely a mechanical version of himself he tossed out of the armour to distract the undead, I mean, I still can't believe he thought that actually happened.

Conveniently enough, we've gotten an explanation of the von Brag clones just right after that :lol:
Zahru II
balls just have this nasty tendency to wear out over time

Postby Bragallot » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:38 pm

Yeah, I really already had that as an explanation for the numerous Von B's trolling about before Karl 'died' though, I just thought then was an appropriate time to reveal it to stop Warhead's gloating 8)

What I described is generally my manner of fudging (or not fudging) deaths. If a hero is simply not worth it (Vinambre was such a failure) I automatically don't feel like 'reviving' him.
Last edited by Bragallot on Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lawmaster wrote:
Bragallot wrote:
He's already dead.
Kill him again.
Bragallot

Postby Chinook » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:39 pm

In the backstory for Chinook, he comes from an alternate universe where Nega-Bloks rule. He leads the Praelites (Shadovians), who are allied with the Legion of the Brik (Immortals). During a devastating defeat, bits of the Legion retreated through a wormhole into our universe and others. Chinook landed here.

Just trying to contribute a little.
Spoiler: show
ImageImage

ImageImage

Victoria et scientia, Ex gladio pax

Shadovia, Ferrum Rex
Chinook
Officer

Location: USA America, California, Rancho Cucamonga, Kleron V, on the throne, jammin' to dubstep

Postby stubby » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:05 pm

Well let's see if you were successful:

Chinook

Nope, not yet. But it's never too late to start. You can just copy and paste that text straight into the wiki page and it'll be a fine start.
stubby

Postby stubby » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:15 pm

Quantumsurfer wrote:7. Thing is, there's enough to do already and I don't want to make more work for someone else by being ignorant. Also, I'm not sure how much creative license I would have. Which I could solve by asking. So I'll do that now. That is, is there a structure or plan? Things we don't want to see, things we do? Does it matter? If I create derivative content out of the blue, is that ok to post? Or does it need to be something that already exists in the community?

If you take a look through some of the pages in the old wiki, you can see that it was pretty much a free-for-all. I think that matched the ridiculousness of BrikWars pretty well, and I'd like to continue that as much as possible in the new wiki.

I would much rather have someone who's ignorant but creates content than someone who's knowledgeable but sits on their hands. Like I said, if you post something that someone objects to, they're just as free to fix it as you were to post it in the first place, so it's best to prioritize quantity first and quality later.

If there's going to be a structure or plan, it's something I'll retrofit in later; for now the important thing is just to get the content in place. The MediaWiki tools in the new site are more powerful than the WikiSpaces stuff in the old site, so I can quickly slap on templates and redirects at a later date once we need a little more structure.

Scratch wrote:I have been copying stuff over that has no pictures in it, it's pretty much the easiest thing possible.

And I go in afterwards and add wiki links, since I don't always have enough time to create new articles, but I do often have a minute or two to go in and add square brackets. The wiki format is perfect for when I have five minutes between meetings or something.
stubby

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion