BrikWiki

You know, whatever

Moderators: Blitzen, Silent-sigfig, Almighty Benny

Re: BrikWiki

Postby Colette » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:12 am

The saddest thing about carpet theory is that some have actually proposed just that for our own real world.

Also, general relativity is basically explained with a giant carpet as well.

Because everything's better with math...and firepower.
Colette
I for one personally welcome clown face bologna

Postby Tzan » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:57 pm

stubby wrote:I've started to think that the fundamental nature of the BrikVerse is not based in worlds, but in planes. Specifically, horizontal planes, not necessarily connected but all supported in one way or another by a beige carpet.

Yup. Thats the idea.
In space there is large empty areas between ABS worlds.
Space ships travel through this space upon the infinite Beige Carpet.

I intentionally didnt put my name on the Carpet Theory.
I'm not sure I worded it well, so feel free to add.

I'm not sure if it contradicts the Astral Plate or not, but I don't care, its "just a Theory".
Tzan
Blockguy

Postby Quantumsurfer » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:09 pm

Actually, put that way:

Tzan wrote:In space there is large empty areas between ABS worlds.

It doesn't at all. The Astral is the space between universes. The way you've said it is that the beige carpet IS space in the BrikVerse. Which is a really cool idea.
Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Colette.

Postby Tzan » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:23 pm

Quantumsurfer wrote:Actually, put that way:

Tzan wrote:In space there is large empty areas between ABS worlds.

It doesn't at all. The Astral is the space between universes.

In a single universe there are chunks of ABS, planets, baseplates on a battle field.
Between these ABS elements is non ABS "space". All of that space is Beige Carpet.
All of the "space" below the ABS elements is Beige Carpet that supports the ABS.

Astral can still be the "space" between Universes.

The way you've said it is that the beige carpet IS space in the BrikVerse. Which is a really cool idea.

Yes, thats what I intended.

Real Life: Neckbeard Science tries to explain how all those really small particles support the elements that make up the visible world.

Brikverse: Carpet Theory tries to explain the fabric of the universe that supports ABS elements. Even in locations where no ABS element can be seen, there is still Beige Carpet.
Tzan
Blockguy

Postby Tzan » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:46 pm

Keldoclock wrote:How do you explain hardwood floor then?

Hardwood floor is a myth.
All soccer moms want to believe that under their Beige Carpet is a beautiful hardwood floor.
They are just waiting for their lazy pedophile husband to remove the carpet. But this never happens, due to the fact that pedophiles love Beige Carpet. See: Police Investigations.
Thus proving the hardwood floor mythyness.
See: Hardwood Uncertainty Principle

Anyone who has actually claimed to have seen hardwood floor is a Damn Liar, or mentally unstable.
They fall into the same category of people who have not only seen UFOs but also had tea with them, from a tea table resting on a hardwood floor.
A statistical impossibility, quite likely to cause the entire Brikverse to be divided by zero.

~ Tzan, Theoretical Brikicist
Last edited by Tzan on Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tzan
Blockguy

Postby Quantumsurfer » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:13 pm

Tzan wrote:Hardwood floor is a myth.
All soccer moms want to believe that under their Beige Carpet is a beautiful hardwood floor. (...)

Lol at all of this. Esp.
Tzan wrote:Anyone who has actually claimed to have seen hardwood floor is a Damn Liar, or mentally unstable.

I'm going to move BC to notable locations since isn't alternate to but actually part of the brikverse. And I'll link references to brikspace, space, realspace, etc to BC.
Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Colette.

Postby Quantumsurfer » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:21 pm

I've approached and backed off of the BrikWars Universe page a half dozen times. I think the problem is...it doesn't feel right that I should write it. I mean, I'd say I have a pretty damn good grasp on the thing but this is Rayhawk's baby (god, I hate that phrase) and no one has a better understanding. About the fictional aspect but especially about the IRL aspect. I was just talking about that in the chat the other day...who was that with? Basically, we agreed that we get the jokes and we can...emulate the humor but we're never going to be as funny. At least, in respect of BrikWars. And I think that's because we aren't as intimately tied to it; we don't always remember all the little nuances that set it apart. Even if we do waste copious amounts of time on these here forums.

I used to be really good at emulation, back when I first started college as an English major. I could read Tolkien, for example, and then write Tolkien. I'd show it about to people and I got about a 70-80% feedback that thought they were reading something from Middle Earth. As I got better at writing (mind you, I'm still one fucker of a long way off from actually being a good writer), my own style began to emerge and eventually became totally dominant in anything I wrote. I can still emulate some but I have to really think about it as, when I write even a paragraph about something, I tend to trance out. And as whoever I was talking to in the chat pointed out, what you write should come natural. Trying to force funny and clever pretty much always ends up patently un-funny and never clever.

So, I guess what I'm saying is that I'm reasonably certain I'm not qualified to define the entirety of the BrikVerse. I can certainly help flesh it out, defining new parts entirely from my own creative reserves and reposting, redefining, or refining older thoughts wrought from someone else's creative stores, but the top level concept feels like it belongs to you, Stubby.

Am I overthinking it? What are some thoughts?
Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Colette.

Postby Colette » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:39 pm

I've always wondered about how IRL physics and the brikverse mesh. My Trattorians rely a lot on traditional, current physics concepts but then I wonder how to represent something like atoms or strangelets in a brikwars setting, etc.
Because everything's better with math...and firepower.
Colette
I for one personally welcome clown face bologna

Postby Arkbrik » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:12 pm

Quantumsurfer wrote:I've approached and backed off of the BrikWars Universe page a half dozen times.

[...]

Am I overthinking it? What are some thoughts?

http://www.brikwars.com/rules/2010/universe.htm
Last edited by Arkbrik on Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Remus: Harry... I'm a werewolf.
Harry: Are you fucking serious?
Remus: Well yes, but I don't see how that applies here.
Arkbrik
Pooplord

Postby Ben-Jammin » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:50 pm

Beigism/ Beige Carpetism = new Brikverse religion.
Ben-Jammin
My Little Pony

Postby stubby » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:22 pm

Quantumsurfer wrote:That's...a really good point. Which do you think is the better approach? PoliceStations and Airports are logically going to have to be grouped into the same general category, Structures in this case, but is it better to allow them separate entries a reader can ignore the link to if he isn't interested or is it better to include them all in a list of other generics that the reader can scroll past if he isn't interested? Or did you have a third solution in mind?

I think in the case of police stations and the like, people are going to get there through direct searches or mentions on other pages, rather than by going through a category page. At least that's how I tend to navigate wikis.

Apollyon wrote:
stubby wrote:I've started to think that the fundamental nature of the BrikVerse is not based in worlds, but in planes. Specifically, horizontal planes, not necessarily connected but all supported in one way or another by a beige carpet.

Briktopian scientists knew this ever since G.R. 2010.

That's right! I knew I read it somewhere, but I couldn't remember where. This is completely a Briktopian ontology.
stubby
Psy.D Manchild Psychology, U. of Wikipedia

Postby Quantumsurfer » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:50 pm

stubby wrote:I think in the case of police stations and the like, people are going to get there through direct searches or mentions on other pages, rather than by going through a category page. At least that's how I tend to navigate wikis.

Okay, we can do that in one of three ways. Using structures as case study.

First, we make the structure names (airport, bunker, yadayada) into subheaders so that the wiki recognizes them and indexes them at the top of the page. All links go to structures, user hits structures, clicks the subheader and jumps to section. The advantages of this method: we don't have to create more pages and move descriptions again; referencing is common-named so is easy to remember. Disadvantages: user still has to scroll or click down to finally get to entry; makes for a large page; referencing is two step process-linking and adjusting to structures instead of just linking the word to its own page which is simpler.

Second, we make individual structures into their own pages. Links link directly in based on word. Advantages: simpler referencing; direct searches are more coherent; less wall of text. Disadvantages: we have to create new pages for each thing; many entries are generic and not worth including on their own (that is, not very BrikWars related).

Third, we do both. Leave the category page as is and create redundant individual pages. Users wishing to browse by category can do so while other pages will link directly to the individual structure's page and direct searches will be easier. Advantages: both user types satisfied, referencing simpler; direct searches more coherent; a category exists to tie them together thematically. Disadvantages: more work; floating pages might leave users wondering why we bothered without something to provide background or summary.

I have an empty link there.
Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Colette.

Postby Tzan » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:32 am

stubby wrote:That's right! I knew I read it somewhere, but I couldn't remember where. This is completely a Briktopian ontology.

Wait what?
Some other brikicist is now trying to take credit for my ground breaking research?
I'll see them in court!

~ Tzan, Theoretical Brikicist
Tzan
Blockguy

Postby Arkbrik » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:04 am

Quantumsurfer wrote:

I have an empty link there.

Fix'd
Remus: Harry... I'm a werewolf.
Harry: Are you fucking serious?
Remus: Well yes, but I don't see how that applies here.
Arkbrik
Pooplord

Postby stubby » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:22 am

Quantumsurfer wrote:First, we make the structure names (airport, bunker, yadayada) into subheaders so that the wiki recognizes them and indexes them at the top of the page. All links go to structures, user hits structures, clicks the subheader and jumps to section. The advantages of this method: we don't have to create more pages and move descriptions again; referencing is common-named so is easy to remember. Disadvantages: user still has to scroll or click down to finally get to entry; makes for a large page; referencing is two step process-linking and adjusting to structures instead of just linking the word to its own page which is simpler.

Second, we make individual structures into their own pages. Links link directly in based on word. Advantages: simpler referencing; direct searches are more coherent; less wall of text. Disadvantages: we have to create new pages for each thing; many entries are generic and not worth including on their own (that is, not very BrikWars related).

I see "more pages" as an advantage rather than a disadvantage.

Piped links are an extra level of complexity that will be a barrier for entry for anyone wanting to contribute to the wiki in the future. Instead of correcting every [[police station]] to [[Structures|police station]], it's much better to just always (always, always!) do a [[police station]] that leads to a #REDIRECT [[Structures]] instead. It's much more immediately accessible, and it means that if we want to change it later we only have to edit the one redirect page rather than the dozens of pages that mention police stations.

Entries that aren't worth including on their own aren't worth including in a category page either, IMO.
stubby
Psy.D Manchild Psychology, U. of Wikipedia

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion