Autofire/multiple shots

Rules questions, suggestions, and discussion

Moderators: Pwnerade, IVhorseman

lorbaat
Minifig

Autofire/multiple shots

Post by lorbaat » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:52 pm

I came across something in the 2010 autofire rules that I just want to clarify:

Let's assume I have a 'fig who is firing a machinegun with a ur of N.

If I fire at one target, I make a skill roll. If I roll an N or higher, I hit.

If I fire at two targets, I make two skill rolls, one for each target. They both require me to roll equal to or higher than N+2.

If I fire at three targets, I make three skill rolls, one for each target. They both require me to roll equal to or higher than N+3.

Is this correct?
Last edited by lorbaat on Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Re: Autofire/multiple targets

Post by IVhorseman » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:03 pm

Depends on how many targets fit within a cone of fingers, or how many "fingercones" must be created to envelop all targets.

UR is equal to N+C, where C is the number of cones you must make. If five targets are all within just a single spread of fingers, then it's simply N+1 vs. all targets. Bullets still run out if you crit-fail or roll lower than the current shot number.

lorbaat
Minifig

Post by lorbaat » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:13 pm

No no, I get that option, but there's another one that allows you to selectively target inside a single cone, isn't there?

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:17 pm

Nope! You may either fire multiple shots at a single target, or a single shot at every target within the cone. The idea is that the minifig's just saying "fuck it" and spraying bullets in that general direction, meaning that they can't really pick and choose who or what they're hitting.

lorbaat
Minifig

Post by lorbaat » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:24 pm

Sorry, I meant to ask about Burst Firing on a single target, and in the space between reading the rules and typing my post I somehow allowed for shooting multiple guys.

Even better, I went over to the 2010 rules to refresh my memory on Burst Fire and can't find the section...

lorbaat
Minifig

Post by lorbaat » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:57 pm

ok, here we go.
Unlike other Automatic Weapons, a MachineGun can also be used in Burst Fire, firing multiple shots at a single target. The player chooses the number of shots he's going to attempt in a Controlled Burst (which determines the overall Auto Penalty; he receives a cumulative -1 for each shot in the Burst he plans to attempt), and rolls a separate Attack Roll for each shot.
So, you're trying to gun down one guy. You decide to fire once. Your UR is N, so you need N or higher to hit once.

He survived that, so next round you decide to fire twice. Your UR is N, so according to the above, you need N+2 to hit with each shot (separate rolls).

To cut to the chase, the reason I'm curious about this is that I would expect it to be N+1 each for two shots, then N+2 each for three shots (ie, each extra shot increases the difficulty by one). As it stands going from one to two is a big jump, then two to three is a small bump more difficult.

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Re: Autofire/multiple shots

Post by stubby » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:29 pm

The earlier version where recoil ramped up continuously made more sense, but I wasn't sure that the risk of becoming Inoperative properly balanced the benefit of multiple attacks. I'm starting to think "fuck it" though.

Earlier it was:
  • 6. Choose your number of shots.
    7. The first shot is UR+1, Inoperative on a Skill Roll of 1.
    8. The second shot is UR+2, Inoperative on a 2 or less.
    9. Etc.
    10. You must keep firing until you've either fired the number of shots you chose in step 6, or your weapon jams. No stopping early.
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:09 pm

lorbaat wrote:Sorry, I meant to ask about Burst Firing on a single target.
Oh, well in that case, while you're not following what's currently printed in the rulebook, this is the way I've been playing recently. Stubby's listed the way it's "supposed" to work, but I have been playing by the way you've described. It's faster, easier to keep track of, and still pretty fair. My vote is for "fuck it."

*CRAZYHORSE*
Mega Blok

Re: Autofire/multiple shots

Post by *CRAZYHORSE* » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:53 am

Fuck it!!!!!
stubby wrote:You were inb4beluga.