Starship Troopers IV

You know, whatever

Moderators: Almighty Benny, Blitzen, Silent-sigfig

Starship Troopers IV

Postby Bragallot » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:56 am

It took me a while to get to see this movie because I didn't have very high expectations considering the last installments (I still liked 2 and 3 to a degree but I can see why others don't think very highly of them), but without further ado I'm just going to say Starship Troopers IV was surprisingly good. It has a lot of the elements of the Roughnecks Chronicles and most of the good things the other movies had. The approach is very straightforward compared to those though, and they did cut the satirical parts... which I thought were great and the most important thing about Starship Troopers, but I can see why they did away with it since no one seemed to get it anyway... a lot of people interpreted movie 1 as na-zi propaganda and the third one as religious propaganda... it was the opposite. As a straightforward balls-to-the-wall action scifi kind of movie, it really works though. I'm definitely gonna get the DVD and hope they make another.

Portals: http://www1.zmovie.co/movies/view/stars ... asion-2012

This link worked for me: http://fleon.me/vv.php?Id=6c4b57d3ec42b ... ae793c83a7
Encyclopedia Bragtanica - Fantasy Battles - Scifi Battles
Silent-sigfig wrote:
motorhead fan wrote:Colette, why have they all got soup stains on they're coats

One characteristic of nerds is lack of hygiene
Bragallot
Blockguy

Re: Starship Troopers IV

Postby Silverdream » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:18 pm

In my opinion the first one is full of plotholes and silliness. Do the others make you cry for science? Do the others have mecha in them?

Spoiler: show
mgb519 wrote:Seriously, you are now the first ever forum superhero.

Colette wrote:I hereby acknowledge Silverdream as the one and only forum troll as agreed in the bet.

Quantumsurfer wrote:No, I have 2 silver.
Silverdream
Blockguy

Postby Bragallot » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:14 pm

The first one is still the best imo, mostly for the satire. The lack of advanced weapons even make sense to me, some people just see humans get slaughtered by aliens and are apparently a little offended and think 'hey, we can do better than this!'. Maybe they had them, but lacked the ability to deploy them onto other planets. When they attacked Klendathu they underestimated the Bugs and probably saw no need, the soldiers were seen as expandable anyway, and on planet P they had to use infantry to draw out and find the Brain bug. Tanks would also be pretty useless against arachnids because they can slice through steel and easily outmaneuver them, you want a huge bullet swarm rather than single shots against single targets (which is why they made the marauders). When the technology gets too good you get situations like the Roughnecks Chronicles where 1 trooper is the equivalent of 100 bugs. Against an enemy like the bugs, you need infantry to make surgical strikes 'cos you can never have enough firepower to overcome them all.
Silent-sigfig wrote:

Bragallot
Blockguy

Postby Whiteagle » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:39 pm

Bragallot wrote:The first one is still the best imo, mostly for the satire. The lack of advanced weapons even make sense to me, some people just see humans get slaughtered by aliens and are apparently a little offended and think 'hey, we can do better than this!'. Maybe they had them, but lacked the ability to deploy them onto other planets. When they attacked Klendathu they underestimated the Bugs and probably saw no need, the soldiers were seen as expandable anyway, and on planet P they had to use infantry to draw out and find the Brain bug. Tanks would also be pretty useless against arachnids because they can slice through steel and easily outmaneuver them, you want a huge bullet swarm rather than single shots against single targets (which is why they made the marauders). When the technology gets too good you get situations like the Roughnecks Chronicles where 1 trooper is the equivalent of 100 bugs.

You mean like it was IN THE BOOK!

The reason a large number of nerds are booty bothered about the first movie was because it was Paul Verhoeven basically shitting directly on the source material...
It's a fun romp on it's own, but switching out the "man is a warrior" ideology for a satire of its implied fascist regime is a bitter pill to swallow when the author was one of the Big Three of Science Fiction...
Whiteagle
Mega Blok

Postby The Shadowscythe » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:47 pm

Whiteagle wrote:You mean like it was IN THE BOOK!

The reason a large number of nerds are booty bothered about the first movie was because it was Paul Verhoeven basically shitting directly on the source material...
It's a fun romp on it's own, but switching out the "man is a warrior" ideology for a satire of it's implied fascist regime is a bitter pill to swallow when the author was one of the Big Three of Science Fiction...

Now y'see heres the thing - as a nerd with a reasonably average drinking/social life you need to view the two things for the contexts in which they are devised.

The book is a reasonably cereberal sci-fi read from one of the big sci-fi three - it is a solitary affair between one man, one book - and in my case, something smooth and slow to drink.

The film is a balls to the walls piece of crap that you and 6 other mates need to come home to after a night out drinking, wherein someone turns on the T.V and goes "Hey look! its starship fucking troopers!"

And then someone else goes "Dude, that film is crap"

And then someone else goes "Yeah, but its funny crap"

The next few hours are spent with good friends, crap jokes and an even worse film that will no doubt spout a drinking game and even more bad quotes - but that is the goddamn point.

Now shut up and sit down, watch the fucking film and stop being such a ponce.
-- WARNINK -- LINK BELOW IZ KNOWN TO CAUZE HEMMORAGE --

I WARNED YOU, DIDN'T I WARN YOU?! BLAME RAYHAWK DAMNIT.
The Shadowscythe
The Brikwars Trickster God.

Postby Whiteagle » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:50 pm

Hey I'd watch the film anyways!

I'm just explaining why people have such a hate on for it is all...
Whiteagle
Mega Blok

Postby Bragallot » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:42 pm

Nah, a lot of people like Starship Troopers, too, although most will agree the franchise has been fucked over on several occasions. As an (amateur) writer, I can also understand how difficult it can be to take the ideas from a novel and apply them to the screen. The experience is just different on so many levels that it's a daunting task that doesn't work for everything.
Silent-sigfig wrote:

Bragallot
Blockguy

Postby Silverdream » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:22 pm

Paul Verhoeven didn't read the book.

mgb519 wrote:Seriously, you are now the first ever forum superhero.

Colette wrote:I hereby acknowledge Silverdream as the one and only forum troll as agreed in the bet.

Quantumsurfer wrote:No, I have 2 silver.
Silverdream
Blockguy

Postby Insert_blank » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:19 am

Which was the one where they decided god was awesome and Rico from the first one came back? That movie was so shitty/awesome. I wasn't sure if they were going for B movie or for satire or B movies (maybe it was both?)
月にかわってお仕置きよ!
月の光は愛のメセジ
Insert_blank
Minifig

Postby Bragallot » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:35 am

That was the third one, Marauder. The god stuff was a satire. The best part was probably the Sky Marshal being a pop singer and his 'it's a good day to die' song. Oh and the discussion about whether or not to use a Q-Bomb against the bugs.
Silent-sigfig wrote:

Bragallot
Blockguy

Return to General Discussion