Colette's Empire Census GR 2013

You know, whatever

Moderators: Blitzen, Silent-sigfig, Almighty Benny

Re: Colette's Empire Census GR 2013

Postby Quantumsurfer » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:04 pm

stubby wrote:You know what's better than TekLevel, is just "Teknology." That lets you either fill in a basic TekLevel number if you've put zero thought into your faction and it's completely generic, or say something more descriptive.

Well, yeah, that's what I was driving at in the other thread. Teknology by itself is something of a misnomer, though. Technology typically refers to the material innovations of a society, those of a scientific or industrial nature. Fantastic and supernatural abilities fall outside that purview. Which is why sophistication works a little better, even if it doesn't have the same punch as technology in terms of pure wordage.

Regardless, there are a dozen ways to describe the capabilities of a faction so even if a player left out tek levels, teknology, sophistication, or whatever you want to call it altogether, they can still get the point across easily. It's a perfectly multi-genre system so no template is ever going to work 100% of the time. Each faction should just present as its creator sees fit. The only real "limiting" factor is how well you want your faction to integrate with others'. Which I see as an exercise in creativity.
Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Colette.

Postby stubby » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:37 pm

I thought you were joking. The word "sophistication" has a whole different meaning in BrikWars.

Anyway nobody cares how "sophisticated" you are (ha ha ha), they care about your instruments of executive power. Which is what technology is. Magic is technology. Military organization is technology. Fire is technology. Rhetorical logic is technology. I think you're thinking technology has something to do with science? Technology is any skills, tools, and systems a culture utilizes to achieve its goals.
stubby
forum janitor

Postby stubby » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:49 pm

Ben-Jammin wrote:Image

Ben-Jammin wrote:Image

I'd love to put an image like this at the top of the Vehicles chapter, if it didn't have some of the models chopped off at the edges. Sheet wrinkles I can photoshop out with some work, but missing parts are tougher.
stubby
forum janitor

Postby Zupponn » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:15 pm

The bottom pic is missing stuff, but the top pic is only barely cut off. Wouldn't that be ok?
Zupponn
Lovable and funny
Lovable and funny

Postby stubby » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:37 pm

I'd have to cut out the mech, and the mech is the highlight of the scene.
stubby
forum janitor

Postby Tzan » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:16 am

I can see why you like those two images, its a very sophisticated display.
Tzan
Pooplord

Postby Colette » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:57 am

Would either the Calvarians or the Adamarians beat Roc in terms of number of tanks?

I would suggest to Ben-Jammin that he get to work on an SDT to steal Roc's tank king crown beyond a shadow of a doubt. Preferably Adamarian as they need a superweapon.
Because everything's better with math...and firepower.
Colette
I for one personally welcome clown face bologna

Postby Chinook » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:56 am

Name: Empire of Shadovia
Government: Technocratic-Stratocratic/Feudal
Tek Level: 6 - Mass Hardsuit Production, Mechs, Nova Claymores, Advanced Drone/A.I. Technology
Systems/Location: Drake System, Kleron 4
Allies: Immortals ,Praelites, Calvarians, Zuppon Mining Co., New Coruscant Republic
Enemies: Assyrians
Notable Figures: Supreme Overlord Solomon Drake, Commander Payne, Lt. Lux, Major Chinook, Lt. Major Chinook Prime
Flag:Image
Picture: soon (old picture won't do much justice)
Spoiler: show
ImageImage

ImageImage

Victoria et scientia, Ex gladio pax

Shadovia, Ferrum Rex
Chinook
Officer

Location: USA America, California, Rancho Cucamonga, Kleron V, on the throne, jammin' to dubstep

Postby Quantumsurfer » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:27 am

stubby wrote:I thought you were joking. The word "sophistication" has a whole different meaning in BrikWars.

No, no, that's completely fair. What I'm saying is: it doesn't matter.

stubby wrote:I think you're thinking technology has something to do with science?

That's the common connotation, yes. It doesn't necessarily have to, though. Hence, "something of a misnomer."

Anyway, I don't know if I said but I meant to, I don't really "like" either name. Each one is incomplete. But, like I just said, I could care less. My ultimate point was, if you're feeling pigeon-holed in a game like BrikWars, you're bloody well doing it wrong.
Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Colette.

Postby Ben-Jammin » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:48 am

Colette wrote:Would either the Calvarians or the Adamarians beat Roc in terms of number of tanks?

I would suggest to Ben-Jammin that he get to work on an SDT to steal Roc's tank king crown beyond a shadow of a doubt. Preferably Adamarian as they need a superweapon.

I doubt I could beat RoC unless both the Calvarians and Adamarians were willing to work together.

Also, I'm hoping to start construction on my first SDT as soon as my tax return arrives.

stubby wrote:I'd have to cut out the mech, and the mech is the highlight of the scene.

I you want, I can take a new pic, or you can cut out the mech and add it in a seperate photo.

By the way, I would be incredibly honored if you put one of my pics at the top of said chapter.
Ben-Jammin
My Little Pony

Postby IVhorseman » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:04 pm

Tzan wrote:I can see why you like those two images, its a very sophisticated display.

heh.

PS: I've totally beaten Roc before, and I ain't no Tank King. Tank Snob maybe, but even that title's been stripped of me in favor of Stupid Stoner. Either way, my tank was bigger than anything he'd fielded that day... thank you size 7 gun!
IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Postby pkbrennan » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:34 pm

Name: The Anarcho-Syndicalist Adventurers Guild (ASAG)
Government: Various, depending upon location
Tek Level: 4 - Steampunk, Dieselpunk, some rail gun technology, not even left the planet yet.
Systems/Location: Small planet called Pekab somewhere out in the boonies of the universe.
Allies: N/A
Enemies: Anyone who tries to stop them getting at treasure / loot
Notable Figures: Grunge Smith
Flag: Split diagonal black top left red bottom right, with A.S.A.G. in white in top left corner.

Picture:

The World of Pekab & the Anarcho-Syndicalist Adventurers Guild <== new site

"Everything needs more Dakka, including the Dakka..."
pkbrennan
Cannon Fodder

Postby 501stCadians » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:48 pm

Name: Universal Union
Government: Oligarchic, with Emperor chosen from 15 Ruling Families
Tek Level: 6, moving towards 7(True AI, Advanced Pulse Weaponry, Advanced FTL)
Systems/Location: One Planet(Pendragon, Hotly Contested), Small Roaming Fleet, Four Research Stations around former Quebec Sector
Allies: None
Enemies: Holy Scottaviean Empire
Notable Figures: 501stCadians, Cap'n Jack Thompson of the UUS Trenton
Flag: None Yet Displayed.
IVhorseman wrote:I'm the Several Hundred Dollar Man!

Rayhawk wrote:"Give him the stick DON'T GIVE HIM THE STICK" was a major part of Knights Kingdom development.
501stCadians
Playmobil

Postby Silverdream » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:27 am

Your capital is named Pendragon too? Tell me about how FLEIJA proof you think that is.

Spoiler: show
mgb519 wrote:Seriously, you are now the first ever forum superhero.

Colette wrote:I hereby acknowledge Silverdream as the one and only forum troll as agreed in the bet.

Quantumsurfer wrote:No, I have 2 silver.
Silverdream
Blockguy

Postby Nitewatchman » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:25 pm

Name: Brik-End Space Empire (B.E.S.E.)
Government: Constitutional Monarchy
Tek Level: 5; interstellar travel, energy-based weaponry, advanced robotics, experimental intergalactic travel
Systems/Location: Partial system, control hampered by Blokbot hoard. Located on the outer edge of a minor galactic arm.
Allies: None
Enemies: Blokbot Hoard, Brick End Anti-Royals
Notable Figures: Baron Fredrick Von Pwyll, Fredrick Von Pwyll Jr., The Halbard
Flag: Two-part yellow and blue simple flag.
Picture: Guess this old pic will work.
Silverdream wrote:MOST UNLIKED BY SILVERDREAM
Nominees
-Nitewatchman
-Blitzen
-muffinman42
-Vami IV

WINNER: Nitewatchman
Nitewatchman
Galidor

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion