Minifig Flight

Rules questions, suggestions, and discussion

Moderators: Pwnerade, IVhorseman

pkbrennan
Minifig

Minifig Flight

Post by pkbrennan » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:44 pm

If you have minifigs with wings, how would you points cost them so they can fly 8" per turn? (I imagine them to be a little faster in the air than on foot, but not by that much).
The World of Pekab & the Anarcho-Syndicalist Adventurers Guild <== new site

"Everything needs more Dakka, including the Dakka..."

*CRAZYHORSE*
Mega Blok

Re: Minifig Flight

Post by *CRAZYHORSE* » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:09 pm

Well..why don't you just look it up in the rulebook?
stubby wrote:You were inb4beluga.

pkbrennan
Minifig

Post by pkbrennan » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:13 pm

Coz it is not in the 2005 or 2010 rulebooks for minifig flight? It is there for Creations though, so that can be butchered I guess...

As for 2001, I have not even dared look at that one yet...

Addendum: p100 of the 2001 rules have a means to add flight to minifigs at +1CP per 2" with a minimum of 5" to stay airborne.

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Post by IVhorseman » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:51 pm

minifigs, horses, etc. ARE creations. Everything is a creation, of some sort or another. Even weapons follow a lot of the same rules as creations.
Minifigs are Creatures too, and their stats can be calculated the same as any other Creature.

Structure: Ignoring the Surface-element limbs, a minifig's body and head have a Size of 1". A minifig is made of flesh, so his Structure Level is 0, for an Armor of 1d6. (Because minifigs are so common, we simplify the 1d6 rating to 4 to cut down on in-game die-rolling.) The minifig's Base Cost is its Size of 1 times one half for its Structure Level of zero, or 0.5 CP.

Propulsion: A minifig has regular ground-based movement, which costs 1CP per 2". The minifig's Move of 5" costs 2.5CP total, increasing the minifig's total price tag to 3CP.

Weapons: The Minifig's weapons are bought separately.

Mind: A minifig has an intelligent Mind, with a cost equal to its Size rating, or 1CP. This completes the minifig and brings its final cost to 4CP.
Without propulsion, a minifig costs 1.5 CP. 8" of flying movement costs 4 CP for creations, so the total for a regular minifig comes out to 5.5 CP.

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:12 pm

Since you're not going variant, my thoughts (with the disclaimer that we care about CP):

So the rules for Flying Propulsion in Chapter Nine say:
BrikWars 2010 wrote:Flying Propulsion | (2CP + Structure Level) per 2" Move | wings, antigravity, capes
Examples seem like the kind of thing you'd find on a minifig.

Minifig has 1/2 SL. So an 8" flying move would be 10CP. Gets wonky if you try to do regular, though. 5" Minifig Fly is 6.25 CP by that formula. So I don't know how to handle that. Do you round? I guess you don't have to if you stay under CP limit since fractions of a CP aren't likely to put you out.

Also weird, a Horse has the same SL as a minifig (just a different size). So its Flying Move is calculated using the exact same numbers. By this formula, the Flying Horse would cost a whopping +12.5 CP for Propulsion. But the Flying Horse in the Horse Chapter lists Flying Horse as being only +5CP, a significant difference.

Thinking outside the rules for a moment, if adding Flying to a Horse only costs 40% as much as it would by the vehicle rules, and since minifigs operate on the same odd 1/2 SL calculations, perhaps we could have the total Fly cost for a minifig also be discounted at 40% final cost. So 2.5 CP, rounded slightly, for a 5" move and 4 CP for an 8" move. The problem with this is that 2.5 for 5" is exactly the same cost (its actually a little cheaper before the round) as regular propulsion. Ok, so that's out.

My thinking is that the Horse Chapter marks the division between the "Basic Rules" and the "Advanced Rules." I wonder if it wouldn't be best to simply determine which set of rules you are playing with. If only playing with the Basic Rules (Chapters 1-6, plus Horse), Flight should cost +5CP. (As a side note, thats exactly double normal minifig propulsion, except we aren't using advanced rules yet, so just a curiosity at that point). If using all of the rules (the Advanced Ruleset), then consider that a 5" Flight should cost 6.25 CP and 8" Flight should cost 10 CP. So, in effect, the Advanced rules "unlock" the option for your minifig to travel at 8" AND Fly whereas the Basic rules allow only the addition of Flight at the minifigs base move.

pkbrennan
Minifig

Post by pkbrennan » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:32 am

@ QS

I didn't understand a word of that. :p

Ah well, I guess the 2001 rules are a temporary fix until I can work it out properly with 2010 rules when they are finalised (shouldn't they be now called 2013 rules?)

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:41 am

What can I help with? SL meant Structure Level, if that helps. And my thought process boiled down to:

If not using advanced rules, +5CP for flight, move remains at 5", 8" Flight is not possible under this system.

If using advanced rules, can increase move distance plus add ability to fly. 5" Flight would cost +6.25 CP. 8" Flight (what you were looking for) would cost +10CP.

*CRAZYHORSE*
Mega Blok

Post by *CRAZYHORSE* » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:08 pm

pkbrennan wrote:Ah well, I guess the 2001 rules are a temporary fix until I can work it out properly with 2010 rules when they are finalised
I don't understand. Are the 2010 book 2 chapters to confusing for you? Did you read it or did you only read the 2005 rules? What is it with the rulebook that makes this not easy to understand?
pkbrennan wrote:(shouldn't they be now called 2013 rules?)
Did you know the 2005 rulebook didn't get released until about 2007 if I remember correctly. So it's somewhat of an inside joke.
stubby wrote:You were inb4beluga.