Fire and Movement

Rules questions, suggestions, and discussion

Moderators: Pwnerade, IVhorseman

Tzan
Has anyone ever used those holes before?
Has anyone ever used those holes before?

Re: Fire and Movement

Post by Tzan » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:51 am

During my PrepFire Phase I have 3 squads, a light machinegun and my 9-2 leader named Warhead, fire at a stack of pwnies 3 hexes away in a stone building.

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Post by IVhorseman » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:44 pm

Did you factor in their improved cover? You're gonna need to increase your critical threat-range if you want to whittle down that stack on the first part of your turn-phase.

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Post by stubby » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:14 pm

Bluefog wrote:A side note... has anyone noticed that you usually end up with two heroes battling it out at the end? Has happened like for my friends and I quite often, and we always hope for our last rolls to be a double kill so that everyone on the battle field dies.
This should happen quite a bit in infantry-heavy battles if you're using the redshirt rules properly. Everyone else on the battlefield are just hit points for the heroes.
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?

Bluefog
Cannon Fodder

Post by Bluefog » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:19 am

stubby wrote:
Bluefog wrote:A side note... has anyone noticed that you usually end up with two heroes battling it out at the end? Has happened like for my friends and I quite often, and we always hope for our last rolls to be a double kill so that everyone on the battle field dies.
This should happen quite a bit in infantry-heavy battles if you're using the redshirt rules properly. Everyone else on the battlefield are just hit points for the heroes.
Nice. I'm doing it right... and a redshirt has to be 5 or 6" away right?
"Hey, you try making love to a complete stranger in a hostile, mutant environment, see how you like it."

stubby

Post by stubby » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:41 am

A redshirt has to be within 1d6". When the Hero needs a redshirt, he rolls 1d6 and chooses a friendly unit within that many inches. As usual, a roll of 1 is a Critical Failure (no one redshirts), and a roll of 6 earns Bonus Dice (meaning the Hero can potentially pull in redshirts from much further away).

If a Hero is part of a squad plate, then other squad members can automatically redshirt for him without having to make the 1d6" roll.

Bluefog
Cannon Fodder

Post by Bluefog » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:45 pm

I've been giving redshirts standard movement plus an angry inch. I figure they're lackeys and don't get a choice in the matter, they're gonna die so their hero can live.
"Hey, you try making love to a complete stranger in a hostile, mutant environment, see how you like it."

stubby

Post by stubby » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:42 pm

In that case, your battles will usually end up with two heroes battling it out at the end.

Gungnir
Jaw-Jaw

Post by Gungnir » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:13 pm

I try to have my hero go straight for the other guy's hero. Slaughtering everything in the way and blocking shots with the bodies of his allies.
BrikThulhu eats 1d6 minifigs each turn.

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:38 pm

Bluefog wrote:I've been giving redshirts standard movement plus an angry inch. I figure they're lackeys and don't get a choice in the matter, they're gonna die so their hero can live.
I dub this hyper-awesome-mode.

Bluefog
Cannon Fodder

Post by Bluefog » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:18 am

stubby wrote:In that case, your battles will usually end up with two heroes battling it out at the end.

Haha, yeah. It's pretty funny, most times now unless someone is stupid and puts their hero alone somewhere it ends like this. Basically, until the hero is the last piece left, we won't even target him/her because what's the point? Might as well just take out all the redshirts... I dunno though, I might try having the redshirts needing to be 1d6" away... hmmm...

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:56 pm

Bluefog wrote:we won't even target him/her because what's the point?
Grinding it down, a minifig takes up about an inch to an inch and a half of space. If they aren't packed onto a squad plate, they're likely spread out a bit. Say, maybe an inch or two between them. Unless put on the plate, I don't really see very many redshirts standing around within 6 inches. At most, say around 5 to 8, most of whom will be standing on the extreme edge of that radius. Each face on a d6 is around a 16% chance, so pulling in the majority of those available redshirts poses between a 16 to 32% chance, really. Hero naturally chooses those within a safer radius (I don't know, maybe) but if he does, he's limited to 2 or 3 safe sacrifices in a turn. It gets harder to pull them in from further away and requires bonus dice from anyone outside the 6" radius. So, from a generally mathematical point of view, it seems worth it to put the hero under lots of fire and crush him quickly by chewing through his available safe redshirts and counting on that failed inspire roll.

But I don't know, that gives me a headache. So here's how I see it instead. I find it more fun to target the hero instead of the redshirts for several reasons. Heroes who pull the bullshit and make several armor rolls in a row, especially against heavier damaging weapons, makes them seem more awesome. Everyone around the table cheers for the Hero. Choruses of "Oh, my god," "How the FUCK?" and "NOWAI!" make the game seem more fun. What's more, the potential for hilarity exists in the system of being able to redshirt from across the table with high enough bonus dice rolls. Once, I redshirted the pilot of a helicopter overhead, which then crashed into the ground and killed all remaining combatants. I think rules systems like that are what help to ensure everyone wins.

Bluefog
Cannon Fodder

Post by Bluefog » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:57 pm

Quantumsurfer wrote: Once, I redshirted the pilot of a helicopter overhead, which then crashed into the ground and killed all remaining combatants. I think rules systems like that are what help to ensure everyone wins.

Hahaha. That's awesome... and yeah, that's the aspect of the game I like, basically everyone dies and we're all laughing our asses off.