TIME TRAVEL

Supplement ideas, house rules, homemade stat cards, homebrew weapon types, and other cool variations

Moderators: warman45, Rev. Sylvanus

aoffan23
You can nail me with your wood. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Re: TIME TRAVEL

Post by aoffan23 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:38 pm

sjosten wrote:Not necessarily. When you end up is determined by what you roll.
:wtc: You're still making zero sense. Not only are you not specifying what units of time you're using, but you're suggesting that it's possible to go back in time in a BrikWar. To do that, you'd have to have an identical battlefield set up, take pictures of every turn, and then set the second battlefield up to match the turn you rolled. I mean, maybe you have some magical negative dice that can go back to a previous turn, but I don't think they're that common.
samuelzz10 wrote:Ok, here goes.
A random shock trooper finds a delorian, and is being chased by several savages. Unable to fend them off, he hops in and goes at 15" for 2 turns and he is suddenly whisked away. He rolls "Time travelers get older selves to fight along side them". then you roll a 1d6,(to determine how long it takes) and you re-appear in that location with a future self in the car with you. I hope that serves as a good example.
That explanation makes more sense, except instead of just saying "roll for when you end up", try "roll for how many turns it takes to come back". This actually sounds like fun now. The big problem is that not everyone seems to have the same understanding of this mechanic.
Spoiler
Show
Tzan wrote:
Quantumsurfer wrote:I generally agree with Tzan
Warhead wrote:I agree with QuantumSmurfer.
I agree with Warhead.

sjosten
Minifig

Post by sjosten » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:35 pm

You misunderstand, I am not saying you can go back to a time within the same battle. While that seems like a plausible outcome, it would be too much of a headache to figure out how everything would work out. I'm saying you would go to the distant past or future. For example, let's say you rolled a 6. This option says you killed your grandparents, erasing you from existence. This would not require an alternate map, as you not only know the outcome of the time travel, but also just lost your time travelers. Now, you might say that the battle needs to be replayed without the time travelers, since they didn't exist, and you would be right. However, that sucks, so I propose that for the purpose of not irritating the shit out of the players, a rule should be implemented. This rule says that all effects of time travel take effect after the time travel occurred. So, if you had been playing the whole game with cutlasses, but the dice say you advanced the technological capabilities of everyone, you would then give everyone superior weapons instead of replaying the battle with the new weapons. Hopefully, I'm starting to make sense.
Han Solo wrote: Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side kid.

aoffan23

Post by aoffan23 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:20 pm

Yeah, I get what you're saying. I just thought *CRAZYHORSE* meant that there was only in-game forward time travel.

In other words, I misunderstood it as a misunderstanding.
Spoiler
Show
Tzan wrote:
I agree with Warhead.

*CRAZYHORSE*
Mega Blok

Post by *CRAZYHORSE* » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:11 pm

aoffan23 wrote: I just thought *CRAZYHORSE* meant that there was only in-game forward time travel.
Yep that;s what I meant.
stubby wrote:You were inb4beluga.

aoffan23

Post by aoffan23 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:27 pm

*CRAZYHORSE* wrote:
aoffan23 wrote: I just thought *CRAZYHORSE* meant that there was only in-game forward time travel.
Yep that;s what I meant.
Well then, I guess I misunderstood that there was a misunderstanding about that misunderstanding, and there really was a misunderstanding after all.
Spoiler
Show
Tzan wrote:
I agree with Warhead.

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Post by IVhorseman » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:43 pm

If a time machine exists on the field, it should allow a minifig to make a duplicate of themselves step out of the machine at ANY TIME during the battle - so long as the original minifig eventually climbs into the time machine to send himself back in some later turn. If the minifig is killed or otherwise stopped before then, the double immediately disappears. I suppose you could make a simple die roll to determine if the time-double was evil or whatever, but that's already climbing into the realm of too complicated for its own good.

*CRAZYHORSE*
Mega Blok

Post by *CRAZYHORSE* » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:13 am

And that is why you are genius IV. You actually just pooped out a really fun rule as if it was nothing. Now compare that to the three pages of confusing bullshit we have here.
stubby wrote:You were inb4beluga.

Tzan
Has anyone ever used those holes before?
Has anyone ever used those holes before?

Post by Tzan » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:00 am

IVhorseman wrote:If a time machine exists on the field, it should allow a minifig to make a duplicate of themselves step out of the machine at ANY TIME during the battle - so long as the original minifig eventually climbs into the time machine to send himself back in some later turn. If the minifig is killed or otherwise stopped before then, the double immediately disappears. I suppose you could make a simple die roll to determine if the time-double was evil or whatever, but that's already climbing into the realm of too complicated for its own good.

So on turn one I have the double appear.
For the next 5 turns I have 2 guys killing your dudes.
The game ends, I win of course and I never put guy 1 into the time machine, so guy 2 disappears, but the game is already over.

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:13 am

Yup! He just climbs into the time machine after the battle to send himself back in time. Think Bill & Ted rules.

What, was I supposed to be worried about balance or something?

aoffan23

Post by aoffan23 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:48 am

That goes completely against the point of this mechanic. It's no supposed to be advantageous, it's supposed to be unpredictable. Making a big list isn't complicated, it's just extensive. Once the list is made, then rolling for an outcome won't be a game-delaying process.
Spoiler
Show
Tzan wrote:
I agree with Warhead.

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:14 am

Yeah but this list is fucking stupid.

sjosten
Minifig

Post by sjosten » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:30 pm

What's your point? I mean, it's BrikWars, we don't exactly focus on being intelligent very often. Still, if you want to change that, add some points to the list. It's not like you need permission to throw in a dozen or so possibilities for the list.
Han Solo wrote: Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side kid.

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:00 pm

It's not like I have to add any, either.

I think the whole concept of "roll and then compare the result to this huge table to see exactly what happens" is a massive waste of time that would be spent better eating snacks. Plus all the extra book-keeping. Still, the only one having my back in this statement is the other resident stoner, so I doubt I have a very good ethos. They definitely WORK, they're just nowhere even near my idea of fun, so I figured I'd provide an alternative.

Ya'll can carry on with your list if you disagree with me, and that's fine. Who am I to tell you how to have fun?

Silverdream
Nice use of noise

Post by Silverdream » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:17 pm

I agree with you, and I am no stoner.
This sig is too fucking large: show anyway
Image lol j/k

cleanupcrew
Catastrophe Magnet

Post by cleanupcrew » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:15 pm