Boston Marathon

You know, whatever

Moderators: Almighty Benny, Blitzen, Silent-sigfig

Boston Marathon

Postby pkbrennan » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:21 pm

We know the events of today.

I am at least relieved to report that my many friends in Boston are all safe and accounted for.

Thoughts are with the injured and bereaved.
The World of Pekab & the Anarcho-Syndicalist Adventurers Guild <== new site

"Everything needs more Dakka, including the Dakka..."
pkbrennan
Cannon Fodder

Re: Boston Marathon

Postby Bragallot » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:22 pm

I hope society reacts in the way it should (remain mostly unaffected) and not the way the terrorists want us to (become (even) more paranoid). The terrorists want us to be afraid to leave our homes or attend mass meetings (which have become kind of defining for our culture). Let them believe it if they have to. They'll never have sufficient means to hold all of society hostage, not on our ground. Unfortunately things like this do happen every day (just not in the West) but we can't force change on (in fact, that usually has an opposite effect) or police the entire world. Change must come from within. With every terrorist attack against events such as these, that are attended by many different people of different cultures, backgrounds and religions, the terrorists will lose support. If anything, the result of this senseless attack on all of humanity should be a call-up for more solidarity between the well-meaning people of the world. It's easy to fall into the 'outsiders are attacking us, all outsiders are bad' pitfall, especially if someone or something dear to us gets struck, but we mustn't forget that people all over the world are facing the same kinds of evil everywhere and falling into this trap is exactly what will lead to more conflict in the future, which is the definition of true terror.

Here's to (vainly) hoping everyone's thoughts will be with the victims and not how to use the event to push their own (political) agenda.
Last edited by Bragallot on Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Encyclopedia Bragtanica - Fantasy Battles - Scifi Battles
Zupponn wrote:Everybody needs a sand green codpiece.
Bragallot
Blockguy

Postby Natalya » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:46 pm

This is horrible. :(
  ▲
▲ ▲

"Each night alone I dream, that I'm a rebel Roller Queen‼
I'll be a star that shines, I can make the whole world mine‼"

Natalya
Tremble in awe, for I am become Admin, Banner of Noobs.

Postby Silverdream » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:07 pm

Bragallot wrote:I hope society reacts in the way it should (remain ùpstmy unaffected) and not the way the terrorists want us to (become (even) more paranoid). The terrorists want us to be afraid to leave our homes or attend mass meetings (which have become kind of defining for our culture). Let them believe it if they have to. They'll never have sufficient means to hold all of society hostage, not on our ground. Unfortunately things like this do happen every day (just not in the West) but we can't force change on (in fact, that usually has an opposite effect) or police the entire world. Change must come from within. With every terrorist attack against events such as these, that are attended by many different people of different cultures, backgrounds and religions, the terrorists will lose support. If anything, the result of this senseless attack on all of humanity should be a call-up for more solidarity between the well-meaning people of the world. It's easy to fall into the 'outsiders are attacking us, all outsiders are bad' pitfall, especially if someone or something dear to us gets struck, but we mustn't forget that people all over the world are facing the same kinds of evil everywhere and falling into this trap is exactly what will lead to more conflict in the future, which is the definition of true terror.

Here's to (vainly) hoping everyone's thoughts will be with the victims and not how to use the event to push their own (political) agenda.

Well said.

Spoiler: show
mgb519 wrote:Seriously, you are now the first ever forum superhero.

Colette wrote:I hereby acknowledge Silverdream as the one and only forum troll as agreed in the bet.

Quantumsurfer wrote:No, I have 2 silver.
Silverdream
Blockguy

Postby Natalya » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:51 pm

It's like the Boston Massacre except worse.
  ▲
▲ ▲

"Each night alone I dream, that I'm a rebel Roller Queen‼
I'll be a star that shines, I can make the whole world mine‼"

Natalya

Postby Bluefog » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:48 am

I've never understood why people/groups think that a bomb is a good way to get their point across. Any organization that targets innocent people will never gain my respect or support. It's like "Oh I have some radical point of view, you know what I'm going to do? Blow a bunch of people up and destroy families. This is a good way to get people to join my cause." Yeah fucking right!! I dunno. People are stupid.
"You ain't my friend, palooka." - Vincent Vega
Bluefog
Officer

Postby Keldoclock » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:49 am

I saw this on the news and my overall reaction was "eh, i've seen worse"
stubby wrote:omg noob, balrogs are maiars too, don't you know anything
Keldoclock
Pooplord

Postby Silverdream » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:16 am

Keldoclock wrote:I saw this on the news and my overall reaction was "eh, i've seen worse"

8edgy16me

Spoiler: show
mgb519 wrote:Seriously, you are now the first ever forum superhero.

Colette wrote:I hereby acknowledge Silverdream as the one and only forum troll as agreed in the bet.

Quantumsurfer wrote:No, I have 2 silver.
Silverdream
Blockguy

Postby Bragallot » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:33 am

Bluefog wrote:I've never understood why people/groups think that a bomb is a good way to get their point across. Any organization that targets innocent people will never gain my respect or support. It's like "Oh I have some radical point of view, you know what I'm going to do? Blow a bunch of people up and destroy families. This is a good way to get people to join my cause." Yeah fucking right!! I dunno. People are stupid.

To be honest, that's probably how they see 'our' invasions of 'their' homelands, too. The thing a lot of people often forget / don't seem to realize fully is that violence only breeds more violence. People (can) kinda lose sight of reason when someone is taken away from them for no reason. That's generally how it spreads. As to why they think it's a good idea to use bombs, I suppose they prefer obedience through fear over consensual obedience, because (if we're talking muslim extremists here) their viewpoints are so unworldly and restrictive you can hardly expect people to put up with them willingly unless they've been conditioned since birth.
Encyclopedia Bragtanica - Fantasy Battles - Scifi Battles
Zupponn wrote:Everybody needs a sand green codpiece.
Bragallot
Blockguy

Postby Quantumsurfer » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:56 pm

Wait, I thought they determined it was an act of domestic terrorism.
Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Colette.

Postby Tzan » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:16 pm

Yes I'm fine, thanks for asking... :roll:
Tzan
Pooplord

Postby pkbrennan » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:52 am

I think all evidence so far is pointing to right wing domestic terrorism, but the verdict is not in yet.

And oh, Tzan, it is good to know you're fine. I just didn't realise you was in beantown...
The World of Pekab & the Anarcho-Syndicalist Adventurers Guild <== new site

"Everything needs more Dakka, including the Dakka..."
pkbrennan
Cannon Fodder

Postby Tzan » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:50 am

We don't call it beantown.

If anything it should be called Molassestown

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston_Molasses_Disaster
Tzan
Pooplord

Postby Theblackdog » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:39 pm

Not sure there's much evidence to speak of, just conjecture. We know what kind of bomb was used, but those bombs are common among terrorists of pretty much every stripe.
Just one random act of violence can brighten your day. Especially if it involves explosives.
Theblackdog
Clown-Face Bologna

Postby IVhorseman » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:42 pm

Anti-American terrorists tend to attack symbols of American power, like the Pentagon (military) and WTC (economic). Domestic terrorists are more likely to target soft targets that represent multi-culturalism, like sporting events where Kenyans and Ethiopians tend to win. Could be some tea-party nut-job, especially considering that it's a Boston (like the original tea party) event promoting brotherhood to all nations.
IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Next

Return to General Discussion