The Ultramaroons

Not Lego but still Lego.

Moderator: The Shadowscythe

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Re: The Ultramaroons

Post by stubby » Wed May 01, 2013 9:40 am

aoffan23 wrote:But in all seriousness, this is dumber than when they restricted online sales of their products about a month ago. So much dumber. It's like they hit rock bottom, and then decided to mine under that shit.
As dumb as it seems on the surface, there are folks in the toy industry saying the sales restriction might be a tricky short-term strategic play. Killing the online sales alienates all the fans, but that's not going to make any difference really; getting shit on by GW has always been a part of being a GW fan. What's more important is that now that everyone has to buy from GW directly, they're making greatly increased revenues on the same amount of sales activity. Inflating the short-term revenue figures is important for boosting the company valuation if they're trying to prep themselves for sale to a larger company like Wizards of the Coast; it's the same as putting on lipstick and glitter eyeshadow and fishnets. GW:DTF.
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?

Bragallot
MULTIPLE, SIMULTANEOUS AND DEVASTATING DEFENSIVE DEEP STRIKES!!!

Post by Bragallot » Wed May 01, 2013 1:40 pm

BFenix wrote:That's just the stupidest thing ever. A Space Marine is exactly that. A marine, in space. It's like we would figure out that Brikwars should sue anyone for using the name Space Pirates, Space Vikings or Space Ninjas.
Fantasy battles - Scifi battles
Kommander Ken wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:04 pm
Wtf is this thread?

aoffan23
You can nail me with your wood. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Post by aoffan23 » Wed May 01, 2013 2:46 pm

stubby wrote:
aoffan23 wrote:But in all seriousness, this is dumber than when they restricted online sales of their products about a month ago. So much dumber. It's like they hit rock bottom, and then decided to mine under that shit.
As dumb as it seems on the surface, there are folks in the toy industry saying the sales restriction might be a tricky short-term strategic play. Killing the online sales alienates all the fans, but that's not going to make any difference really; getting shit on by GW has always been a part of being a GW fan. What's more important is that now that everyone has to buy from GW directly, they're making greatly increased revenues on the same amount of sales activity. Inflating the short-term revenue figures is important for boosting the company valuation if they're trying to prep themselves for sale to a larger company like Wizards of the Coast; it's the same as putting on lipstick and glitter eyeshadow and fishnets. GW:DTF.
Well, yeah. For the present and very near future, it works. The whole online sales deal isn't the dumbest thing to me. I think the worst decision they made was to limit how much Special Order products stores could order. I guess they're counting on stores putting a little of everything on the shelves, which would prompt people to look to GW if the store sold out, but they're mostly limiting the amount of shelf space they take up. I also understand that they want to make the more popular product much more readily available, but I can't see how making a product harder to find is going to help with the whole popularity issue. The popular products pretty much sell themselves, so shouldn't they be looking for ways to bring attention to the rest of the range?

I know GW has enough of a monopoly at this point to do stuff like this, and I know that they have guys that research this stuff more than I ever will, but it just seems really counter-intuitive.
Bragallot wrote:
BFenix wrote:That's just the stupidest thing ever. A Space Marine is exactly that. A marine, in space. It's like we would figure out that Brikwars should sue anyone for using the name Space Pirates, Space Vikings or Space Ninjas.
No, that's not true. A space marine is a marine in space. A Space Marine is a member of the Space Marines, which is a faction in the WH40k universe. I'll bring up my point again about TMNT. A foot soldier is just a soldier on foot, but a Foot soldier is a soldier of the Foot clan, which is a faction in the TMNT universe. See how this works?

It's the same situation between earth (dirt/the ground) and Earth (the planet), the sun (a specified sun) and the Sun (Sol, the sun at the centre of our solar system), etc.
Spoiler
Show
Tzan wrote:
Quantumsurfer wrote:I generally agree with Tzan
Warhead wrote:I agree with QuantumSmurfer.
I agree with Warhead.

BFenix
Pooplord

Post by BFenix » Wed May 01, 2013 3:10 pm

aoffan23 wrote:
Bragallot wrote:
No, that's not true. A space marine is a marine in space. A Space Marine is a member of the Space Marines, which is a faction in the WH40k universe. I'll bring up my point again about TMNT. A foot soldier is just a soldier on foot, but a Foot soldier is a soldier of the Foot clan, which is a faction in the TMNT universe. See how this works?

It's the same situation between earth (dirt/the ground) and Earth (the planet), the sun (a specified sun) and the Sun (Sol, the sun at the centre of our solar system), etc.
You fail to see my point. Despite all the universe/story fluff behind the Astartes and their Chapters (and the huge background of 40K), they are still the same concept the Startship Troopers, the Terrans, the Colonial Marines, the UNSC, the UAC and pretty much every space-faction on Brikwars, which is a marine kicking ass, in space. It's not a situation of capital letters that will change that.

aoffan23

Post by aoffan23 » Wed May 01, 2013 3:24 pm

BFenix wrote:
aoffan23 wrote:
Bragallot wrote:

You fail to see my point. Despite all the universe/story fluff behind the Astartes and their Chapters (and the huge background of 40K), they are still the same concept the Startship Troopers, the Terrans, the Colonial Marines, the UNSC, the UAC and pretty much every space-faction on Brikwars, which is a marine kicking ass, in space. It's not a situation of capital letters that will change that.
The concept is irrelevant. One is a name, and one is an occupation. Those make an enormous difference in what can and can't be copyrighted.

You know The Comedian from Watchmen? A comedian and a watchman are both occupations, but when you're using them as names, it's a completely different thing.
Spoiler
Show
Tzan wrote:
Quantumsurfer wrote:I generally agree with Tzan
Warhead wrote:I agree with QuantumSmurfer.
I agree with Warhead.

Zupponn
if you give us money we will give you product

Post by Zupponn » Wed May 01, 2013 3:35 pm

I don't understand how they got a trademark for 'Space Marines' in the first place. I distinctly remember Marvel being unable to do the same for 'Civil War' because it was far too generic.

Bragallot
MULTIPLE, SIMULTANEOUS AND DEVASTATING DEFENSIVE DEEP STRIKES!!!

Post by Bragallot » Thu May 02, 2013 6:33 am

Yeah it is generic, and they're not even the first. Ridiculous that they're making such a big fuss about it.
Fantasy battles - Scifi battles
Kommander Ken wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:04 pm
Wtf is this thread?

Ben-Jammin
Mega Blok

Post by Ben-Jammin » Thu May 02, 2013 7:13 am

Things like this make me glad that I chose not to go to law school.

Pwnerade
Mega Blok

Post by Pwnerade » Fri May 03, 2013 12:51 am

Y'all are forgetting that legal is not the same thing as logical. Good thing I never got into that hobby!
An army marches on its stomach, and its favorite food is fudge.

Bluefog
Cannon Fodder

Post by Bluefog » Fri May 03, 2013 4:18 am

I've always known GW treated people like shit, but they're taking it to a new level. I've always just heard the rumors that as a business if you became a distributer of Warhammer and became successful, that they'd open up a GW across the street or down the block or some shit... but to attack the little guy like this, especially when part of the profits of her book go to charity they end up looking full out fucking evil. Shame on GW for being such assholes.
"Hey, you try making love to a complete stranger in a hostile, mutant environment, see how you like it."

piltogg
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by piltogg » Fri May 03, 2013 12:33 pm

they are pretty much evil.. the majority of stores near where I live have stopped selling their products now. Apparently they weren't making enough of a profit to justify for how much space all those boxes and blister packs and stuff take up.

ikensall
Princess Cauliflower

Post by ikensall » Fri May 03, 2013 2:33 pm

Time for a boycott? :zig:

Tzan
Has anyone ever used those holes before?
Has anyone ever used those holes before?

Post by Tzan » Fri May 03, 2013 3:00 pm

Silverdream
Nice use of noise

Post by Silverdream » Fri May 03, 2013 3:32 pm

ikensall wrote:Time for a boycott? :zig:
Yeah, I'm sure all 20 of us will make a difference.
This sig is too fucking large: show anyway
Image lol j/k

Zupponn

Post by Zupponn » Fri May 03, 2013 4:37 pm

I'm so boycotting this shit! (Like I would have purchased things from them anyways.)