DnD

For all those games that happen to not be BrikWars

Moderators: Timedude, Olothontor

Tzan
Has anyone ever used those holes before?
Has anyone ever used those holes before?

Re: DnD

Post by Tzan » Wed May 08, 2013 11:28 am

IVhorseman wrote: Besides, a DM forced into the position is nowhere near as fun or creative as a willing one.
I suppose that girl was kidnapped to be that guys DM.
They needed a few more players, so he kidnapped 2 more girls.
The horror... being forced to play D&D with old dudes.

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Post by IVhorseman » Wed May 08, 2013 2:20 pm

You know something's wrong when a pretty white girl runs up to a black man and hugs him with a base attack bonus above 4

Pwnerade
Mega Blok

Post by Pwnerade » Wed May 08, 2013 4:21 pm

knolli wrote:The adventure takes place in medieval fantasy setting. You are a band of youngsters accused of a crime you didn't commit and wanted by the authorities and even darker forces. You will have to keep a low profile and avoid capture while you attempt to prove your innocence and stop the dark forces that threaten the kingdom at the same time.
That sounds like a great campaign idea. We will save the kingdom :zig:!
An army marches on its stomach, and its favorite food is fudge.

Whiteagle
whiteeagle problems
whiteeagle problems

Post by Whiteagle » Wed May 08, 2013 9:53 pm

knolli wrote:The adventure takes place in medieval fantasy setting. You are a band of youngsters accused of a crime you didn't commit and wanted by the authorities and even darker forces. You will have to keep a low profile and avoid capture while you attempt to prove your innocence and stop the dark forces that threaten the kingdom at the same time.

My level of DM-ing in general is mediocre, I guess, but I have no experience running a DnD session.
Ohh, can I play a Slime Child Wizard?
IVhorseman wrote:Actually, that sounds pretty cool! I've been wanting to play a good-guy necromancer, and that might be just the setting to have him be awesome in.
"Blub-bhur nop monspers, jusp Ablominaphions algainsp naphure!"
IVhorseman wrote:
Quantumsurfer wrote:
IVhorseman wrote:Who among us is the highest level willing DM?
And that IS the question, isn't it? I don't want to make somebody throw together a bunch of crap if they don't want to. Besides, a DM forced into the position is nowhere near as fun or creative as a willing one.
Indeed, I've got the creativity but I probably don't have the will or the energy on top of my inexperienced...

...Also my Id has a tendency to slip into my Magical Realm...
Tzan wrote:
IVhorseman wrote: Besides, a DM forced into the position is nowhere near as fun or creative as a willing one.
I suppose that girl was kidnapped to be that guys DM.
They needed a few more players, so he kidnapped 2 more girls.
The horror... being forced to play D&D with old dudes.
...How do you have enough time on your hands to track down both a Female Dunguon Master and two additional Players to abduct but also not enough to just FIND people to play with?
IVhorseman wrote:You know something's wrong when a pretty white girl runs up to a black man and hugs him with a base attack bonus above 4
Are you suggesting pretty white girls can't be a Fourth Level Barbarian, Fighter, Paladin, Ranger or Eight levels in any other class?

knolli
Dimmy

Post by knolli » Thu May 09, 2013 3:55 am

IVhorseman wrote:Actually, that sounds pretty cool! I've been wanting to play a good-guy necromancer, and that might be just the setting to have him be awesome in.
Not what I was thinking about, but interessting none the less. My idea was more along the lines of honorable nobles and otherwise respeced members of sociaty who suddenly are forced to flee and use methods of the low-lives and criminals they detest just to stay alive. Imagine a young paladin who grew up in a sheltered environment suddenly forced to flee from combat and hide in the sewers, to use deception and unfair tricks, bribery and extortion. Oh, the drama!

But with a little twist, a good-willed "dark" magician works just as well. I just don't know how to fit the slime-child in there, yet.
Ross_Varn wrote:Knolli is awesome.

Keldoclock
My Little Pony

Post by Keldoclock » Thu May 09, 2013 7:30 am

I've run a Pathfinder campaign, which is basically 3.5 with some minor improvements. It got up to 4th level before the sheer logistics of assembling (seven, then five, then three) extremely lazy people in a room weekly took their toll and we had to stop.

I will gladly play in your game, knolli, and I can PM you advice and stuff if desired, I don't really have the enthusiasm to GM right now. I warn you though, i have read far too many books and played far too many RPGs to not turn my character into as powerful a wrecking ball as possible. I usually give myself a challenge and limit my final power level by doing stuff like picking a weak class and trying to make it as strong as possible (for example, trying to minmax a 3.5 Bard), or forcing myself to use something challenging for RP reasons (for example, playing an illusionist wizard or a duelist type fighter who never wore armor or used a shield).

Strongly suggest Pathfinder over 3.5 if possible, it'll help with balance, the published setting has very rich lore that you can use to take some of the work off worldbuilding, and its still got all your system familiarity.
stubby wrote:omg noob, balrogs are maiars too, don't you know anything

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Post by stubby » Thu May 09, 2013 9:42 am

I have found that the best thing to do with wrecking-ball players is to put them in scenarios where combat and destruction are the failure modes. "Help these two rival factions work together to make the artifact work" or "bring the hostage situation in the delicate china shop to a peaceful conclusion" or "perform delicate surgery on the dragon without waking up the basilisks." Being ridiculously overpowered isn't really a problem when their powers are only useful for things that are the opposite of what they're trying to achieve.

Firefly had a good example of this - Jayne is their wrecking ball, and they go through every encounter trying to avoid having to take him off the leash. The BrikWars equivalent is dilanski's dad, a superhuman wrecking ball of manliness in his own right, and his quest to rescue Princess the kitten.
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Thu May 09, 2013 12:12 pm

Yeah see, THAT'S what sounds like fun. I'm fine with over the top OP combatants - if anything, I'd like it if we could straight-up skip low-level encounters where it'd be pretty obvious that if we fight, we win. Maybe some simple auto-combat where we make a d20 roll and add the party's average level VS. a DC of d20+ the challenge rating, and the result approximates how much health the party collectively lost or something.

Either way, being forced to use dirty tricks to succeed because the enemy NPCs are 8 levels above us sounds like a ton of fun.

Whiteagle
whiteeagle problems
whiteeagle problems

Post by Whiteagle » Thu May 09, 2013 12:17 pm

IVhorseman wrote:Yeah see, THAT'S what sounds like fun. I'm fine with over the top OP combatants - if anything, I'd like it if we could straight-up skip low-level encounters where it'd be pretty obvious that if we fight, we win. Maybe some simple auto-combat where we make a d20 roll and add the party's average level VS. a DC of d20+ the challenge rating, and the result approximates how much health the party collectively lost or something.

Either way, being forced to use dirty tricks to succeed because the enemy NPCs are 8 levels above us sounds like a ton of fun.
Again, how much Lantern Oil and Rope do we have, as well as how many square feet of Canvas is available?

knolli
Dimmy

Post by knolli » Thu May 09, 2013 4:56 pm

Keldoclock wrote:I will gladly play in your game, knolli, and I can PM you advice and stuff if desired, I don't really have the enthusiasm to GM right now. I warn you though, i have read far too many books and played far too many RPGs to not turn my character into as powerful a wrecking ball as possible.[...]
Strongly suggest Pathfinder over 3.5 if possible, it'll help with balance, the published setting has very rich lore that you can use to take some of the work off worldbuilding, and its still got all your system familiarity.
So it looks like I will run the next forum game. Just give me a few days to read into the rules. I have started a new thread where you can post your characters.
IVhorseman wrote:Yeah see, THAT'S what sounds like fun. I'm fine with over the top OP combatants - if anything, I'd like it if we could straight-up skip low-level encounters where it'd be pretty obvious that if we fight, we win. Maybe some simple auto-combat where we make a d20 roll and add the party's average level VS. a DC of d20+ the challenge rating, and the result approximates how much health the party collectively lost or something.

Who said that there will be any low-level encounters? :twisted:
Ross_Varn wrote:Knolli is awesome.

Keldoclock
My Little Pony

Post by Keldoclock » Fri May 10, 2013 6:14 am

knolli wrote: Who said that there will be any low-level encounters? :twisted:
Yay! CR-equal encounters are so boring! The only way they can threaten you is if one or more of the monsters get a crit.

I also strongly advocate social encounters or puzzles happening as much, or at a 1:2 ratio combat, as well as having mostly human enemies so that they have class levels and stuff. You can just steal NPC stats out of modules (of which there are many available by means of Image & the fact that pathfinder and 3.5 stats are mostly interchangeable) for those, it's madness to suggest sitting down and statting more than like four NPCs per session.
stubby wrote:omg noob, balrogs are maiars too, don't you know anything

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Fri May 10, 2013 9:39 pm

So, I'd also like to see something a little more modern, as well. Fantasy isn't really my thing. Maybe something superhero-y or sci-fi.

I feel vaguely inspired to do it myself, using BESM or M&M 3rd ed. Mostly, worrying about familiarity with systems is what holds me back. The extra work involved in either familiarizing the players with the system or just handling all the mechanical stuff myself is a little daunting. On the other hand, BrikWars players are quite used to blowing off the rules completely, so...not so much the valid argument against.

Also, I have this odd sense that, should I run, it should be a BW setting and/or RP system. Because this is the, well, BrikWars Forum. Con: I don't feel comfortable enough with enough people's settings and stories (though I know a lot more after doing Wiki stuff). I would want to run it using those factions and ideas for a solid sense of familiarity and grounding for the players. Pro: This is the lesser games subforum, so it isn't strictly necessary for it to be BW.

I like the idea of there being multiple forum RPGs going at once. Pauses between responses can get...pregnant. Also, more variety yadayadayada.

Kalvinator
in need of one still

Post by Kalvinator » Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:28 am

First time being a dungeon master. Campaign takes place in the Brikwars universe when my planet was still medieval.

Included were the phrases what do potatos sound like.

And a tie in to the Cult of Brikthulu. I need to read up on him more though.

Vami IV
blah blah swastikas kkk look how edgy I am
blah blah swastikas kkk look how edgy I am

Post by Vami IV » Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:51 am

why don't we put together a forum DnD? I think some have tried before, but only with a few members (looking at you, knolli).

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:56 am

I don't even remember most of my posts in this thread. It's hyper weird.

I was in knolli's last game. It was pretty friggin great but he hit some kind of narrative roadblock and self destructed. Haven't seen him since.