Pearl Harbour II: To Russia with love!

You know, whatever

Moderators: Blitzen, Silent-sigfig, Almighty Benny

Pearl Harbour II: To Russia with love!

Postby Silverdream » Sun May 12, 2013 2:57 pm

Spoiler: show
mgb519 wrote:Seriously, you are now the first ever forum superhero.

Colette wrote:I hereby acknowledge Silverdream as the one and only forum troll as agreed in the bet.

Quantumsurfer wrote:No, I have 2 silver.
Silverdream
Blockguy

Re: Pearl Harbour II: To Russia with love!

Postby Kalvinator » Sun May 12, 2013 5:28 pm

Halfway through I went from , "Huh, looks pretty decent, I'll probably see it." to "Okay, wtf, why are they having fucking romance in a movie about a huge awesome ass battle?!"
Kalvinator
in need of one still

Postby *CRAZYHORSE* » Mon May 13, 2013 1:38 pm

:wtc: you sissies, can't even handle a bit of romance in your war flicks.
stubby wrote:You were inb4beluga.
*CRAZYHORSE*
My Little Pony

Postby Silverdream » Mon May 13, 2013 1:54 pm

*CRAZYHORSE* wrote::wtc: you sissies, can't even handle a bit of romance in your war flicks.

I don't mind romance in war films, to be honest I prefer romantic comedies altogether. The problem I have is that it's another American war film that dehumanizes the other side. In my opinion it would be much more interesting to watch both a squad of conscripts desperately trying to stop their tank from freezing while running lower and lower on ammunition and food as well as a group of Russians trying to survive.

Colette wrote:I hereby acknowledge Silverdream as the one and only forum troll as agreed in the bet.

Silverdream
Blockguy

Postby *CRAZYHORSE* » Mon May 13, 2013 2:06 pm

I too would like to see that movie.
Why not also make it a romantic comedy if we are at it anyway.
stubby wrote:You were inb4beluga.
*CRAZYHORSE*
My Little Pony

Postby Arkbrik » Mon May 13, 2013 4:00 pm

When you hear a movie is called Stalingrad, you expect it to be about the horror and pointlessness of war. Not for it to be a stupidpatriotheroic movie.
Remus: Harry... I'm a werewolf.
Harry: Are you fucking serious?
Remus: Well yes, but I don't see how that applies here.
Arkbrik
Pooplord

Postby Kalvinator » Wed May 15, 2013 6:07 pm

Silverdream wrote:The problem I have is that it's another American war film that dehumanizes the other side. In my opinion it would be much more interesting to watch both a squad of conscripts desperately trying to stop their tank from freezing while running lower and lower on ammunition and food as well as a group of Russians trying to survive.

Remember, the winners write the history books, so that means that in every WWII movie, you can expect to see either the the Germans or Japanese in a "evil" light.

Arkbrik wrote:When you hear a movie is called Stalingrad, you expect it to be about the horror and pointlessness of war. Not for it to be a stupidpatriotheroic movie.

And yes, War is horrible and scary and such, but you can't say that it doesn't get shit done, so, not pointless. In a perfect world it would be, but sadly, we don't live in a perfect world.
Kalvinator
in need of one still

Postby Silverdream » Wed May 15, 2013 6:17 pm

Kalvinator wrote:Remember, the winners write the history books, so that means that in every WWII movie, you can expect to see either the the Germans or Japanese in a "evil" light.

Except for Letters from Iwo Jima, Valkyrie, Stalingrad, Das Boot, Inglourious Basterds and a bunch of foreign films.

Silverdream
Blockguy

Postby Kalvinator » Wed May 15, 2013 6:19 pm

Hmm, alright I have some movies to watch.
Kalvinator
in need of one still

Postby Silverdream » Wed May 15, 2013 6:22 pm

Kalvinator wrote:Hmm, alright I have some movies to watch.

Iwo Jima and Das Boot are the best in my opinion.

Silverdream
Blockguy

Postby Bragallot » Thu May 16, 2013 7:54 am

Kalvinator wrote:Halfway through I went from , "Huh, looks pretty decent, I'll probably see it." to "Okay, wtf, why are they having fucking romance in a movie about a huge awesome ass battle?!"

This. 'In War, there is Love' -> x__x

Arkbrik wrote:When you hear a movie is called Stalingrad, you expect it to be about the horror and pointlessness of war. Not for it to be a stupidpatriotheroic movie.

Yeah, like the first Stalingrad.

Kalvinator wrote:Remember, the winners write the history books, so that means that in every WWII movie, you can expect to see either the the Germans or Japanese in a "evil" light.

And yes, War is horrible and scary and such, but you can't say that it doesn't get shit done, so, not pointless. In a perfect world it would be, but sadly, we don't live in a perfect world.

1: Doesn't mean you have to approve of it.

As to the second quote, what? War only causes more damage that it 'solves' and in the end just leads to more war. Maybe pointless isn't the best word to describe it, but 'not preferable' certainly is.

Silverdream wrote:Except for Letters from Iwo Jima, Valkyrie, Stalingrad, Das Boot, Inglourious Basterds and a bunch of foreign films.

Thanks for pointing that out, but wait what Inglorious Basterds? That's a Piltogg slasher 'uhh Bad Pritt is an awesome anti-Nazi hero!' movie if there ever was one.

OP: I never liked that main actor guy anyway... probably not gonna see it.
Encyclopedia Bragtanica - Fantasy Battles - Scifi Battles - Crimson Crusade
lawmaster wrote:
Bragallot wrote:
lawmaster wrote:Kill the guy I'm in cc with.
He's already dead.
Kill him again.
Bragallot
Forum Authority on Bragging Rights

Postby Silverdream » Thu May 16, 2013 12:00 pm

The Basterds go into France and start killing civilians, POWs, mutilating people and are very dishonourable. Meanwhile the Germans in the movie are shown to be brave, sympathetic to others and honourable, with the exception of Hugo Stiglitz and the Jew hunter. In one of the very first scenes of the film, a German officer refuses to tell the Basterds the positions of the other squads even though he knows he's going to be beaten to death. Tarantino makes the Germans human because the movie is a statement about violence in film. The movie theatre scene is literally comparing the audience to nazis.

Silverdream
Blockguy

Postby Tzan » Thu May 16, 2013 12:46 pm

Silverdream wrote:The movie theatre scene is literally comparing the audience to nazis.

You'll make a wonderful high school english teacher one day.
Tzan
Blockguy

Postby Silverdream » Thu May 16, 2013 5:57 pm

Tzan wrote:
Silverdream wrote:The movie theatre scene is literally comparing the audience to nazis.

You'll make a wonderful high school english teacher one day.

Thanks. I'm thinking about doing clifsnotes for my Magic Soap Operas to point out all the metaphors, motifs, allusions and other literary devices as well as character analysis.

Silverdream
Blockguy

Postby Kalvinator » Sun May 19, 2013 12:47 am

Bragallot wrote:
Kalvinator wrote:Halfway through I went from , "Huh, looks pretty decent, I'll probably see it." to "Okay, wtf, why are they having fucking romance in a movie about a huge awesome ass battle?!"

This. 'In War, there is Love' -> x__x

Kalvinator wrote:And yes, War is horrible and scary and such, but you can't say that it doesn't get shit done, so, not pointless. In a perfect world it would be, but sadly, we don't live in a perfect world.

As to the second quote, what? War only causes more damage that it 'solves' and in the end just leads to more war. Maybe pointless isn't the best word to describe it, but 'not preferable' certainly is.

6. Right? I mean I like romance in movies...unless it has absolutely nothing to do with what its about.

7. Never said it was preferable. Also, I guess it gets shit done in a political sense, not in people problem sense.
Kalvinator
in need of one still

Next

Return to General Discussion