For all those games that happen to not be BrikWars

Moderators: Timedude, Olothontor

knolli
Dimmy

Re: Of Games and Thrones - Forum RPG - LOOKING FOR PLAYERS

Post by knolli » Mon May 27, 2013 2:37 pm

Silverdream wrote:Most Underrated RP
:winrar: Of Games and Thrones

I would join, but I think I'm overcommitted with the forum.
Just drop some other threads then. Or stop posting bs. :P

I guess you will explore the hideout sooner or later in more detail.The storeroom is filled to the brim with enough stuff to supply a small army for a month. Although most is only of mediocre quality it is a good start. Yes, there are even two sets of gear obviously meant to be used by spellcasters, including quarterstaffs. There is also a chest full of clothes of varying quality.
[Most standard gear is available in sufficient quantity. If you are searching for something special, I will role the die. But don't expext me to write a complete list of every item]
Since there is not much else you can do and you are pretty tired you soon go to sleep. Sir Brandon orders the prisoner to be shackled and guarded until the group decides how to deal with him after you had some rest. You notice that the squires are very quiet and focus on their respective tasks at hand. Nobody is talking more than necessary.

If there is anything you want to do before you go to bed, just say so. Otherwise I will jump to the night.
Ross_Varn wrote:Knolli is awesome.

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Post by stubby » Mon May 27, 2013 3:07 pm

knolli wrote:
Silverdream wrote:I would join, but I think I'm overcommitted with the forum.
:winrar:
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?

Silverdream
Nice use of noise

Post by Silverdream » Mon May 27, 2013 3:19 pm

knolli wrote:
Silverdream wrote:Most Underrated RP
:winrar: Of Games and Thrones

I would join, but I think I'm overcommitted with the forum.
I guess if I outsourced my shitposting from the forums to a reddit alt I would have some more time. Still, that means I would have to login to my main account after I'm done.
This sig is too fucking large: show anyway
Image lol j/k

Tzan
Has anyone ever used those holes before?

Post by Tzan » Mon May 27, 2013 3:34 pm

Who would win in a fight between:
Mr T and A loaf of bread filled with rabies.

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Post by stubby » Mon May 27, 2013 4:59 pm

Tzan wrote:Who would win in a fight between:
Mr T and A loaf of bread filled with rabies.
I like the sound of this Mr. T and A character.
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?

Tzan

Post by Tzan » Mon May 27, 2013 7:30 pm

"I pity the fool who don't love T and A."

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Mon May 27, 2013 9:26 pm

Tzan wrote:"I pity the fool who don't love T and A."
:D

Alright, I've written up a brief for you, knolli. I tried to leave certain parts vague, so I hope it all fits with your theme/ideas/world. I also included four contacts because I wasn't sure you could really use one of them in the story. I mean, of course you could, but the others would be easier to include if you are so inclined. I figured one of the three squires with Nebul could be my last contact but he doesn't have to be. I also tried to keep Kurgen's previous experiences limited in scope or redundant, in order to explain him being only level 1.

Kurgen Character Background and Contacts:
Spoiler
Show
No stranger to hardship, Kurgen was the third son of a minor noble house who volunteered to join a group of colonists traveling out to build a new Dwarven settlement. In his youth and inexperience, he was eager for the chance to expand his medical knowledge and prowess. In this, he would be disappointed, learning that the majority of his time would be spent bandaging cuts, resetting broken bones, and fending off bandits and other evil creatures. He resigned himself to fulfilling his contract with his fellow colonists, however. His honor demanded nothing less. He began training a number of interested initiates in basic first aid techniques and the knowledge of herbalism they would require to treat against animal poisons and the like. Over time, resignation faded into appreciation for the quality of the people around him and he learned what he now considers to be the true drive of a healer. His approach became far more personable. Though his interest in the academic nature of healing did not slacken, he learned that the people themselves were of greater import. In that time, he and his team became valued members of the community.

Several years later, an important Dwarven ambassador and revered hero named Baldir was driven into the settlement with his remaining entourage by a menace that had been recently growing in the area. His guards and aides were unhappy with having to retreat but faced no judgment from Kurgen and his team, who simply patched them up, donned their armor, and happily stood with their kin to drive the invaders off. Baldir was impressed with Kurgen’s conduct, finding in him qualities that would serve well both in combat and in diplomacy. The old ambassador offered him a place in his entourage and Kurgen humbly accepted, leaving his good friend (and, perhaps, the better healer) Gunvaldr in charge of the healers at the settlement.

It has not been long since Kurgen accepted Baldir’s offer, but he is already making himself useful among the entourage and he makes friends easily wherever he goes. He is not a skilled diplomat yet, being often too quiet and generally passive, but he has a natural potential for it. He is finding his time in the group to be enjoyable and eye opening, learning from each new experience the well traveled entourage encounters.

Contacts:

Baldir Stonebrow

Baldir is a no nonsense ambassador for the Dwarven monarchy. In his youth, he was a famed warrior and extraordinarily skilled with his handcrafted hammers, the “twin thunders.” As he grew older and his blood cooled (or more accurately, simmered), he became a statesman and found (to his great surprise) that he had a tongue as skilled as his hammerwork. Over time, he became a trusted advisor in the royal court and eventually his talents were put to use in the field, treating with other nations. Baldir, in great contrast to many of his fellows, does not abide prejudice in himself or his men. This has suited him particularly well to the task.

Gunvaldr Hrothgaard

Gunvaldr is Kurgen’s closest friend and ally. The pair worked side by side for years, both patching up wounds and receiving them. These battle-brothers would give their lives for one another, if it came to it. Gunvaldr now leads the team of healers at the settlement that Kurgen helped to build. He prefers a more direct approach with his teaching methods than did Kurgen, which makes him perhaps better suited to the position. Both Dwarves preferred a hands-on approach, though, so the healers are a well trained squad of frontier combat medics. Gunvaldr often travels abroad (never too far away from the settlement) with new initiates to help them learn from the land.

Njalla Ironsides

Njalla is a recent acquaintance to Kurgen but the two Dwarves have hit it off famously. On the outside looking in, it’s difficult to see why, though. Njalla is gruff, cynical, and aggressive. She makes no attempt toward diplomacy, ever, and is a big fan of a good fight. Perhaps the two find in one another what they lack in themselves. Njalla is a member of Baldir’s entourage in a bodyguard function only. She and Baldir argue near constantly but the old Dwarf seems to favor her for unknown reasons.

Eadmund Auttenberg

Eadmund is a young, eager squire who aspires to one day become a member of the Lion Guard. Kurgen has only recently encountered him but finds his enthusiasm infectious and has taken an instant liking to the boy. Eadmund is unfailingly polite, if fairly bursting at the seams with energy, and takes an interest in…well, everything. During this latest diplomatic mission (which has taken considerably longer than usual), Kurgen has taken to teaching the boy some of his skills and feels protective toward him.

knolli
Dimmy

Post by knolli » Tue May 28, 2013 4:49 am

I like your character description and contacts, although if he really was one of the leaders of the settlement, I would think he was more experienced, about lvl 5 or so. Imho lvl 1 would mean that he was an apprentice of the senior healer there. Also how did he get to know Eadmund? But that are minor details I don't want to start an argument about. Thus: Approved!

A loud riot at the door wakes Kurgen early in the morning. "Wake up! Urgent news from the palace: Assassination attempt on the king. Traitors in the lionguard. Baldir wants everyone meeting in the hall in five." Before you can answer Njalla stomps of to wake up the next dwarf. Of course you jump out of your bed and get ready. Your bedroom is at the upper floor of a city house that doubles as dwarven embassy at the edge of the dwarven district and half an hours walk from the palace.

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Tue May 28, 2013 3:11 pm

I wouldn't argue with you, mate. You're the DM, what you say goes. I can explain my thinking but we'll go with whatever works best for you.

I think I might've overplayed the position of the healers in the settlement a bit. In my mind, they weren't part of the leadership but rather just a small group of guys and girls who knew how to patch folks up. Sort of like (and god help me for making this reference) Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman. I imagine, over time, they've gotten better at what they do and most of them conduct themselves with honor. My thinking was that because Kurgen never really did anything different except bandage folks up, he never really advanced his skills. Just kept doing the same thing over and over with little variation. I guess I also thought of him being "in charge" of the others as kind of an honorary thing, since he was the only healer for awhile and part of the original colonization. I can see Gunvaldr being a higher level healer easily, which is why he's better in the position and why Kurgen wouldn't have felt bad about leaving. If I'm being honest, I have to admit also that I might've been influenced in my thinking here by standard D&D. Most of his time there would be peaceful (apart from the occasional bandit attack) but difficult frontier living. So I imagined him like a commoner, I suppose, who finally gained enough "experience" to become a full on healer. Not a part of DS, I know, but I suppose it fit thematically in my head. I'm happy to say that he was eventually "relieved of command" by a senior healer who came once the settlement was established, if you like that better.

As for Eadmund. My thinking was that Baldir and company move around quite a lot on diplomatic missions. We came to this kingdom and palace (which I looked for the names of, but must have missed) to treat with the King here. This mission has taken a lot longer than usual (maybe the issue is a difficult one, maybe its this necro business we know nothing about, whatever), so we've started to settle a little and get to know the locals. I would've come with Baldir on some (certainly not all) of his trips from the embassy to the palace, so perhaps I met Eadmund there, maybe during a meeting with the Lion Guard. He could be serving as a squire to one of the senior members. Being an open minded young fellow, perhaps he became interested in us Dwarves and started to spend some of his free time (what little I imagine he would have anyway) at the embassy.

I scrub my face to wake myself fully, dress, and compose myself before I move quickly to the Main Hall. Baldir does not like to be kept waiting so I will be there in less than four. I move to take a position where I can see and hear well but where I am not blocking another's sight. I nod to a few people as I take my place. My manner is serious, though, in place of my usual joviality. An assassination attempt on the King? Traitors in the Lion Guard? It seems impossible! Everything has been so calm. Eadmund! I wonder if the boy is okay. I grow more worried with each passing second as Baldir takes his place at the front of the room and commands our attention. I see Njalla staring grimly at me. I know she is aware of what I'm thinking. She nods to me and I nod back, an understanding passing between us. I wonder what we can do, how we can help...but I swear, by Grabthar's Hammer, if anything has happened to the young squire, there will be hell to pay.

knolli
Dimmy

Post by knolli » Tue May 28, 2013 4:35 pm

Quantumsurfer wrote: We came to this kingdom and palace (which I looked for the names of, but must have missed)...
No, you didn't. I havn't come up with a good name yet. And since I like it to be my very own setting, I am reluctant to use anything premade or remotely official.
Quantumsurfer wrote: Being an open minded young fellow, perhaps he became interested in us Dwarves and started to spend some of his free time (what little I imagine he would have anyway) at the embassy.
I can work with that. At first, Eadmund was present when your legation had its first official audience with the king and after that he was ordered to be your honor guard for a few days as well as your city guide. He came to enjoy this task very fast and tried to spend as much time as possible with the small people.

Baldir raises his hands. "I will get to straight the point: We just recieved this message from the royal palace: Formal greetings blabla..'it pains us to inform you that there was an attempt on Our life. The Sirs Eduard and Brandon of the royal Lion Guard are guilty of high treason and attempted murder. Just minutes ago they forced their way into Our chambers and threatened Our life. Only the heroic intervention of Sir Roland and Sir Harrad saved me from certain death. The traitor Eduard already paid the ultimate price, but the former Sir Brandon managed to escape together with his associates, Eadmund of Sweetshire, Dustin of Northcoast and Gerald of Seagate, former squires of the Lion Guard, Nebul, apprentice mage and versed at the dark arts of necromancy, as well as a young man whose identity remains unknown. They are armed and dangerous. If you happen to get to know their whereabouts we hereby order you to keep your distance and inform Our representatives. Signed: King Leonard, III' ...Well, I know that may be hard to believe for some of you. I feel the same. I've known little Brandon for years back in the Gray Mountains when he was still a squire. He admires his king. And I have heard of no man more honorable than the Old Lion. But that's what the letter says. So if you were to learn about these fugitives' hideout, tell me first." In a quiter voice, as if to himself, he mumbles: "Something about this letter is off, but I can't put my finger on it." Louder again he adds: "That's it. Back to work!"

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Tue May 28, 2013 5:10 pm

I wait until the room is mostly clear, then approach Baldir privately. "Sir, I've never heard a more absurd tale. The Old Lion was one of the most honorable and loyal men I've ever met and the boy is far too innocent yet to have been involved in something so heinous. It's more than just hard to believe. There is some evil afoot here. I can see you sense it too. I request permission to look into this further."

I forgot to mention that, despite being quiet and passive, when Kurgen does speak, he is forthright and honest (sometimes to a fault).

knolli
Dimmy

Post by knolli » Tue May 28, 2013 5:41 pm

"Forthright and honest" are still some of the most prominent charasteristics of dwarvenkind, are they not? After their thick heads, that is.

You have never seen Baldir in such a depressed mood. He leans heavily on the table, head bent in sorrow. He doesn't look up while he speaks to you. "Yeah, you're right. There is something here we don't know." He sighs. "The letter is right in one point: This is treason of the worst kind. The question is: who betrayed whom. But as much as I wish my friend Brandon was innocent, my hands are tied. You know very well that I can't risk a political incident by ordering you to search for his sorry butt, nor can I give you permission." He raises his head and looks straight into your eyes, determination written on his face. "You understand, right?"

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Tue May 28, 2013 7:30 pm

I don't even hesitate. I respond in a calm and measured tone, "Completely."

Knowing I can trust her, I tell Njalla of my plan, careful that no one overhears us
(if necessary, I'll even try to sense magical sensors) and ask her to stick close to Baldir and keep an eye on whatever is happening at the palace and in the city. I will wait until late afternoon, early evening, when the shadows are long and begin moving about the city in search of information or clues as to how to proceed in finding Eadmund and/or Brandon.

knolli
Dimmy

Post by knolli » Wed May 29, 2013 4:40 am

Njalla listenes to your plan to search and help the fugitives. "You do that. Be carefull. I will help you as much as I can. But if you get in trouble I will know of nothing. The less you tell me the better. I don't like to lie. Not even for you." During the day you see that more watchman than usual patrol the streets. Heralds read proclamations publicly to spread the word of the treason. A reward of 100 crowns is placed on Sir Brandon's heads.
How are you searching for clues?

Meanwhile Nebul had time to rest and get familiar with his new (temporary) home. Quanire informs you that Sir Brandon got a bad fever and is no longer able to lead you. Without proper medicine there is only so much his magic can do. The other boys are disheartened and uncertain how to react to this cituation. To make matters even worse, your prisoner demants to be set free. "Remove the shackles and I will help you. I know a someone who will treat his wounds, no questions asked. Whatever you have done, you've made the blue bloods pretty angry. You are neck deep buried in shit. I wouldn't want to switch places with you. Nice hideout, by the way. Somewhere below Weendstreet and the Buttocks,
[that is the inofficial name for one of the poorer districts] right? Look, I know my way around here. I can be of help to you. And I am sure there are things you could do for me, yes?" You get the impression that he never stops talking.
What are you gonna do?

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Post by IVhorseman » Wed May 29, 2013 11:34 am

"We're just the only ones who smell the shit. This whole city's going to be neck-deep in it soon if we don't do anything. I don't like having to free a prisoner, but there's little more my associate can do for this man." I turn to Quanire with a pained look. "Quanire, if we find this other healer, I need you to get out of here, and stay away. If any of the guards saw you they might not have had a good look, but the rest of us have stared the king in the eye as he judged us traitors. He knows who we are - and they'll be looking for us. Not you. Until then, you're the best we've got."

I turn back to the prisoner. I'm very uncomfortable with this decision, but it's not the worst one I've made today. "We can't pay you. We can't do much other than set you free, and even if we're going to do that, I need to know what put you behind bars. But we need medicine, we need information, and we need allies. If you can get us any of the three, we'll be in your debt. Who is this healer you speak of?"