Newbish n00b questions, MkII

Rules questions, suggestions, and discussion

Moderators: Pwnerade, IVhorseman

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Re: Newbish n00b questions, MkII

Post by stubby » Wed May 29, 2013 10:24 pm

Kirillyos wrote:Another question: passengers/cargo traveling in/on a vehicle/mount don't count against its push/carry capacity, do they?
This has been a hot debate for years. Mostly the rule is that vehicles have no problem carrying what they're designed to carry. If the cargo trailer is full of cargo, if the eight seats have eight minifigs in them, if there's a dude in the saddle and two more dudes in the gunnery chairs, those make no difference.

Now if you have non-standard passengers like a mech riding a tank like a skateboard, that's when it turns into a judgment call up to the players.
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?

Zupponn
if you give us money we will give you product
if you give us money we will give you product

Post by Zupponn » Wed May 29, 2013 10:27 pm

stubby wrote:Now if you have non-standard passengers like a mech riding a tank like a skateboard, that's when it turns into a judgment call up to the players.
The only proper response to that would be "Damn the rules, this is awesome!"

The Third World
Nice Dubs
Location: Dayton, Ohio, USA, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, The Universe.

Post by The Third World » Thu May 30, 2013 10:21 am

They didn't call the Roman legionaries "Marius' Mules" for nothing.

And yes, the game would get rather dumb rather fast if we treated every rule like gospel.
Brik World: see what it is like in The Third World. Brik Wars get's taken to strange new places, where there is more to war than just the fighting. Ask me about it some time...

Kirillyos
Officer

Post by Kirillyos » Thu May 30, 2013 12:21 pm

Zupponn wrote:
stubby wrote:Now if you have non-standard passengers like a mech riding a tank like a skateboard, that's when it turns into a judgment call up to the players.
The only proper response to that would be "Damn the rules, this is awesome!"
At least until it becomes funnier for reality to ensue...
LEGO are like boobs - designed for kids, but adults have plenty of fun playing with them too. ;)

Kirillyos
Officer

Post by Kirillyos » Thu May 30, 2013 4:14 pm

Another question about explosives:

54. The 2010 book says they "are measured in bricks rather than inches". My question is - if an explosive (especially a missile fired out of a launcher) is aesthetically bigger than the eXplosive Size (XS) allowed, can we just count the fins, body tube, etc. as "0 CP surface elements", and just count the elements that fit the size limit as the "warhead" (explody bits that actually count for damage)?

For example, in my Stinger-missile system:

Could I just count the red element as a Mk I/Mk II explosive (depending on if my Heavy/Grenadier got around to upgrading the missile before firing), and leave the rest as "aesthetically necessary surface elements/propulsion and guidance system"?

Though I suppose the detail would come at a price, since it would present a larger target for my enemy to counter-attack.
Last edited by Kirillyos on Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
LEGO are like boobs - designed for kids, but adults have plenty of fun playing with them too. ;)

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Post by IVhorseman » Thu May 30, 2013 8:43 pm

Alright that's it, I'm going to smack you.

Tzan
Has anyone ever used those holes before?
Has anyone ever used those holes before?

Post by Tzan » Thu May 30, 2013 9:10 pm

I was wondering how many questions it would take before you cracked :D

Kirillyos
Officer

Post by Kirillyos » Fri May 31, 2013 11:03 am

Hey, I am grateful for all the useful feedback, but at the same time, no one in particular is obligated to answer any of these questions - I'm just throwing this stuff out there for general discussion.

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Fri May 31, 2013 11:51 am

Just count the rocket as whatever you want to count it as. there's no strict rule on piece count or whatever. Same goes with constructions: If your mech is 5" long but you only want to PAY for 2" of size, then just say it's size 2.

Kirillyos
Officer

Post by Kirillyos » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:13 pm

I noticed IVhorseman mentioned before how Supernatural Dice can be used for all sorts of abilities without having to invent new ones from scratch.

55. My question is: If I give Supernatural Dice to a weapon directly, rather than the weapon's user (for example, an armor-piercing weapon with a d12 or an incendiary one with d4s) does the cumulative -1 Skill Penalty still apply to the unit firing it?

I read through the section on Supernatural Dice, and I can't find anything in there that addresses this issue.

stubby

Post by stubby » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:40 pm

Kirillyos wrote:If I give Supernatural Dice to a weapon directly, rather than the weapon's user (for example, an armor-piercing weapon with a d12 or an incendiary one with d4s) does the cumulative -1 Skill Penalty still apply to the unit firing it?

I read through the section on Supernatural Dice, and I can't find anything in there that addresses this issue.
It will probably be treated as a Use +1 rather than a Skill -1, once I remember to write it in.

Kirillyos
Officer

Post by Kirillyos » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:32 pm

stubby wrote: It will probably be treated as a Use +1 rather than a Skill -1, once I remember to write it in.
That makes sense. More advanced weapons = higher skill needed to use. Same reason why the Soviets stripped all the advanced features out of the military hardware they sold to 3rd world "armies" - it's hard to teach savages how to operate a state-of-the art targeting computer when they haven't mastered basic literacy or hygiene - and also so that the tech couldn't be used against them or captured and analyzed by the enemy.

Kirillyos
Officer

Post by Kirillyos » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:43 am

56. This next totally n00bish question relates more to the site: why are some words typed in responses replaced with other words in what actually shows up on the forum? I was typing "Natzi" (without the "t"), in relation to the Indiana Jones sets, and it was replaced with "Piltogg". Is this due to flame wars? Is there a list of replaced words somewhere?

SnakeMittens
Dimmy

Post by SnakeMittens » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:32 am

Words are replaced because the Overlord said so.

stubby

Post by stubby » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:54 am

Kirillyos wrote:I was typing "Natzi" (without the "t"), in relation to the Indiana Jones sets, and it was replaced with "Piltogg". Is this due to flame wars? Is there a list of replaced words somewhere?
This is to improve the experience. Wargamers talk about nazis all the time and it gets boring. But you know what's way more entertaining than nazis? Piltogg.

The list of replaced words changes constantly. Notebook is my current favorite.