My first post in the Armoury: Gatling Gun and Soldier

Not Lego but still Lego.

Moderator: The Shadowscythe

Kirillyos
Officer

My first post in the Armoury: Gatling Gun and Soldier

Post by Kirillyos » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:10 pm

So for my first post in the Armory, I present my American Civil War Gatling Gun and Union Soldier with Bayonet.

Invented in 1861 by Dr. Richard J. Gatling, the famous multi-barrel rapid-fire weapon saw it's first combat in the American Civil War.

Billy Yank here sets up his death machine behind the cover of an ammo and supply box.

An explody-o view to show the pieces I used and how they came together. The 2x2 round brik on the back is the ammo hopper.

With the bayonet mounted on his trusty rifle, Billy is ready for both ranged and close-quarter combat!

The Union Soldier makes use of the weapon attachment rules for the bayonet and the Gatling Gun itself uses the Warm Up trait from IVhorseman's Plastik Armory.

For comparison, here is my old draft of the Gatling Gun:

And a picture of the real thing:

I use LeoCAD and LDView to make these models.

If you want to use my pictures or design, I ask that you please credit me as the artist. If you want the LEGO CAD file for this MOC, either in LeoCAD or LDraw format, simply make a request for it in the comments below and I can email it to you.
LEGO are like boobs - designed for kids, but adults have plenty of fun playing with them too. ;)

Tarkaris
Hero

Re: My first post in the Armoury: Gatling Gun and Soldier

Post by Tarkaris » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:35 am

Great presentation and a nice heavy weapon model as well! Do you plan to create more items in the same theme?

Kirillyos
Officer

Post by Kirillyos » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:39 pm

Tarkaris wrote:Great presentation and a nice heavy weapon model as well!
Thank you! :D
Tarkaris wrote: Do you plan to create more items in the same theme?
Good question! Yes - eventually I plan to make a "MOC homage" to the Old West theme (one of my childhood favorites), which will involve giving most of the established sets (like Ft. Legorado) a huge custom overhaul, and possibly expanding the Civil War aspect of the theme (which LEGO, understandably, left at just the reconstruction era garrison). So once I have the "Old West Fort and Boom Town with Nearby Native Village", I may also make some Ironclads or Civil War battlefields.
LEGO are like boobs - designed for kids, but adults have plenty of fun playing with them too. ;)

Kalvinator
in need of one still

Post by Kalvinator » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:24 pm

Also just wondering, LDD is cool and all, but do you have plans to make all these in real life?

Kirillyos
Officer

Post by Kirillyos » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:39 pm

Kalvinator wrote:Also just wondering, LDD LeoCAD is cool and all, but do you have plans to make all these in real life?
Possibly, if I have the pieces. Unfortunately, some stuff possible in LeoCAD (usually in terms of color) doesn't exist in real life, unless you personally repaint the elements, and even then, there's not much the individual hobbyist can do for color-modding transparent pieces.

I do have real LEGO, and I obviously enjoy building with it, but I've devoted enough time to LEGO CAD programs to become good at them (they do have an initial learning curve), so there's no reason I would stop now.

Orville_McHaggis
Battlefield General

Post by Orville_McHaggis » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:39 am

Good Christ, the barrels on that thing are spread wider than the cheeks of Warhead's no-no hole.
Insert witty comment here.
Silverdream wrote:No man, I mean that I would be Dom and you would be sub. It would probably be a pretty good fuck.
Colette wrote:Fucking transexuals messing everything up.

Kirillyos
Officer

Post by Kirillyos » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:31 pm

Orville_McHaggis wrote:the barrels on that thing are spread wider than the cheeks of Warhead's no-no hole.
Okaaaaay.... and? Only one of those barrels is actually firing at any given moment.

Tzan
Has anyone ever used those holes before?
Has anyone ever used those holes before?

Post by Tzan » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:53 pm

don't worry, its just Silverdreams alt.

Kalvinator
in need of one still

Post by Kalvinator » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:42 pm

Jees...how many alts do you have?