Has anyone played Exile/Avernum?

For all those games that happen to not be BrikWars

Moderators: Olothontor, Timedude

Which Version of Avernum/Exile was the best?

Exile
No votes
Avernum (Original Flavor)
100%
Avernum: Escape From The Pit
No votes

Total votes : 1

Has anyone played Exile/Avernum?

Postby The Third World » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:21 pm

I never played exile realy, tried it for a few minutes one time, but found the graphics and controls to clunky.

I cut my teeth in computer RPGs on the original Avernum when it was brand new. It is by far one of the best games I have ever played. Were there areas that could have used some polish? Sure. Was it kinda slow and klunky? Betch'er ass. Was it by far and away one of the most fully realized and developed game worlds in any computer game I have ever played? Dem Straight!

I have since tried the new version of Avernum for win7 and OS X-whatver-the-fuck-animal-they-are-on-now: and I was very disappointed. The game was much more simplistic and the difficulty level much higher. You could not wander about defeating bandits and monsters then haul back their gear for some chump change. You also could not upgrade your weapons and armor by spoofing the best of the bandit's gear either. Further the interface had been made less easy to use and the lovely individualism of the characters erased. All told I found the whole enterprise was not an upgrade except in so far as the requirements of porting it to a new platform.

Has anyone else played these games?
If not: http://www.avernum.com/avernumold/index.html You Should.
Brik World: see what it is like in The Third World. Brik Wars get's taken to strange new places, where there is more to war than just the fighting. Ask me about it some time...
TROLOLO
The Third World
Champion

Location: Dayton, Ohio, USA, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, The Universe.

Return to Lesser Games