Military LEGO Theme(s)?

Creations, construction techniques, and news from the world of plastic toys

Moderators: fredde, Dr. X, ikensall

Re: Military LEGO Theme(s)?

Postby Insert_blank » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:11 am

Ben-Jammin wrote:
Kirillyos wrote:
Insert_blank wrote:
Kirillyos wrote:For example, people typically refer to "government" (I'll pick on the gov't, since prettty much everyone resents some aspect of it, and as a Libertarian, I get to make fun of both Dems and Reps)


:dog: Please tell me more about your libertarian views and your strange ability to make fun of both dems and reps?


Ooooh, sarcasm and memes! Someone's johnny-on-the-spot with picking up the new trends! Better tell all your myspace buddies about it, it'll be rad!


:tiger:


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZq3An7Tf_w
You got me fair and square. But I still think your statement was a little bit silly. :cry:
月にかわってお仕置きよ!
月の光は愛のメセジ
User avatar
Insert_blank
Cannon Fodder
 
Posts: 308
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:44 pm
Location: China

Re: Military LEGO Theme(s)?

Postby lorbaat » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:23 am

Insert_blank wrote:
Ben-Jammin wrote:
Kirillyos wrote:
Insert_blank wrote:
Kirillyos wrote:For example, people typically refer to "government" (I'll pick on the gov't, since prettty much everyone resents some aspect of it, and as a Libertarian, I get to make fun of both Dems and Reps)


:dog: Please tell me more about your libertarian views and your strange ability to make fun of both dems and reps?


Ooooh, sarcasm and memes! Someone's johnny-on-the-spot with picking up the new trends! Better tell all your myspace buddies about it, it'll be rad!


:tiger:


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZq3An7Tf_w
You got me fair and square. But I still think your statement was a little bit silly. :cry:


To be fair, my first thought was "a Libertarian is feeling superior because HE can make fun of OTHER political views?" but I tend to try and stay out of this kind of thing, no matter how rich in irony.
User avatar
lorbaat
Minifig
 
Posts: 287
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:54 am

Re: Military LEGO Theme(s)?

Postby Insert_blank » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:41 am

I usually do as well but I view this forum as a big playground to mess around in. i just wanna play.
月にかわってお仕置きよ!
月の光は愛のメセジ
User avatar
Insert_blank
Cannon Fodder
 
Posts: 308
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:44 pm
Location: China

Re: Military LEGO Theme(s)?

Postby Bragallot » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:40 pm

LEGO shouldn't do it because it would glorify war for kids, and is especially insensitive to children in war-torn countries. Also, what nations' militaries would be represented? Besides, AFOLS for whom war-themes are age-appropriate typically have the skill to build their own military LEGO.


This is BS. I grew up playing with green army men (some black / purplish and orange ones too) and was constantly interested in anything that had to do with vor sveet vor, doesn't make me glorify war. It's not like my Lego guys didn't have massive wars and weren't being eviscerated, blown up or having their heads chopped off because they weren't army men. In fact, by actually learning what war was, I came to realize war is bad, m'kay?
Encyclopedia Bragtanica - Fantasy Battles - Scifi Battles - Crimson Crusade
lawmaster wrote:
Bragallot wrote:
lawmaster wrote:Kill the guy I'm in cc with.
He's already dead.
Kill him again.
User avatar
Bragallot
Blockguy
 
Posts: 5322
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:00 pm
Location: Gloating over my driver's license

Re: Military LEGO Theme(s)?

Postby Insert_blank » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:15 pm

Bragallot wrote:
LEGO shouldn't do it because it would glorify war for kids, and is especially insensitive to children in war-torn countries. Also, what nations' militaries would be represented? Besides, AFOLS for whom war-themes are age-appropriate typically have the skill to build their own military LEGO.


This is BS. I grew up playing with green army men (some black / purplish and orange ones too) and was constantly interested in anything that had to do with vor sveet vor, doesn't make me glorify war. It's not like my Lego guys didn't have massive wars and weren't being eviscerated, blown up or having their heads chopped off because they weren't army men. In fact, by actually learning what war was, I came to realize war is bad, m'kay?


qft I'm totally the same.
月にかわってお仕置きよ!
月の光は愛のメセジ
User avatar
Insert_blank
Cannon Fodder
 
Posts: 308
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:44 pm
Location: China

Re: Military LEGO Theme(s)?

Postby Theblackdog » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:00 pm

We already had this discussion with regards to LEGO Fiends, but honestly I'd prefer if LEGO was *less* violent than it is today. I don't have any problem with kids playing war, but outside of the Fiends sets most of the LEGO product lines revolve around conflict, and kids could do with a broader imagination than that.

IVhorseman wrote:Clearly we don't need permission from LEGO to build these things ourselves - for fuck's sake we play brikwars. I think all the people who are demanding military sets are just not creative enough to make them on their own. There's nobody stopping you from doing it, so go ahead and build your tanks. LEGO won't have to promote violence and you still get your tanks - it's a win/win for both of us.

The biggest reason LEGO doesn't make tanks is because they don't need to. We'll keep buying bricks to make em ourselves and they know that.


This. And might I add, LEGO-built weapons kind of suck. Compare flick-fire missiles, spring loaded launchers, and Star Wars POOP laser cannons to the sorts of guns we can build using generic bricks and our own ingenuity. I don't really understand why we'd even care what themes LEGO releases; it doesn't take much effort or practice to build better stuff on your own.
Just one random act of violence can brighten your day. Especially if it involves explosives.

Image
User avatar
Theblackdog
Clown-Face Bologna
 
Posts: 2383
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:30 pm

Re: Military LEGO Theme(s)?

Postby Colette » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:08 pm

Image

Either go all out and make an actual military theme, or re-introduce some peaceful themes classic-space style.
Image
Image
Because everything's better with math...and firepower.
User avatar
Colette
I for one personally welcome clown face bologna
 
Posts: 2555
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:04 pm
Location: This Forum

Re: Military LEGO Theme(s)?

Postby CADmonkey » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:33 pm

Colette wrote:http://www.nick-prosch.de/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/497-Galaxy-Explorer.jpg

I think that was my second Lego set. And just a few years later my friends and I all thought that Lego was for "little kids". Christ we were dumb.
CADmonkey
G+ | flickr | goodreads
User avatar
CADmonkey
Hero
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:44 am
Location: Town of Merchants, Land of the Beautiful Lake

Re: Military LEGO Theme(s)?

Postby mercury19 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:21 pm

This thread reminds me of the whole violent video games thing. Do they really make you violent? Honestly, I don't think so. I play violent video games, and I would crap my pants if someone gave me an assault rifle and said "go fight!" I love playing the games and imagining, but I couldn't imagine actually killing someone.

However, I agree that lego should stay away from military. It is very generic, and if you want to take the time, just browse the webs, and copy other peoples creations. There is plenty of military stuff out there for it.
User avatar
mercury19
Minifig
 
Posts: 279
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:56 pm
Location: Probably somewhere in the Brikverse. Oh wait, you mean physically?

Re: Military LEGO Theme(s)?

Postby Gungnir » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:15 pm

mercury19 wrote:This thread reminds me of the whole violent video games thing. Do they really make you violent? Honestly, I don't think so. I play violent video games, and I would crap my pants if someone gave me an assault rifle and said "go fight!" I love playing the games and imagining, but I couldn't imagine actually killing someone.

On the subject of playing war, I couldn't remove my palm from my face for a whole six hours after reading this.
http://now.msn.com/toy-gun-exchange-held-at-california-elementary-school

As for Lego making military sets, I'm totally against it. I already have too much green and brown. I want some more red and blue and pink, etc. in my parts bin.
Give a minifig an inch, and he'll murder for a mile.
User avatar
Gungnir
Dimmy
 
Posts: 697
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:01 am

Re: Military LEGO Theme(s)?

Postby Silverdream » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:51 pm

i find it a little hypocritical , that the same ppl will say that exposing young children to sexual situations or teachings , have no impact on a childs experimenting with sexuality. We have the 2 mommy books in school sex classes or proper use of condoms & the televisions sliding scale of morality & permisiveness & then people say , no correlation tween any of this and the degredation of moral standards. We teach children they are no more than monkeys with a little evolution & then stand back in shock when they in fact act like an animal.
Image

Spoiler: show
mgb519 wrote:Seriously, you are now the first ever forum superhero.


Colette wrote:I hereby acknowledge Silverdream as the one and only forum troll as agreed in the bet.


Quantumsurfer wrote:No, I have 2 silver.
User avatar
Silverdream
Blockguy
 
Posts: 7482
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:33 pm
Location: In a giant pile of potatoes and red meat.

Re: Military LEGO Theme(s)?

Postby Ben-Jammin » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:14 pm

Gungnir wrote:On the subject of playing war, I couldn't remove my palm from my face for a whole six hours after reading this.http://now.msn.com/toy-gun-exchange-hel ... ary-school


A prime example of the daily happenings in the fucked-up land of California.
User avatar
Ben-Jammin
My Little Pony
 
Posts: 1824
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:59 pm
Location: Not quite the middle of Appalachia

Re: Military LEGO Theme(s)?

Postby Colette » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:34 pm

Ben-Jammin wrote:
Gungnir wrote:On the subject of playing war, I couldn't remove my palm from my face for a whole six hours after reading this.http://now.msn.com/toy-gun-exchange-hel ... ary-school


A prime example of the daily happenings in the fucked-up land of California.

Is concurring still a bannable offense?
Image
Image
Because everything's better with math...and firepower.
User avatar
Colette
I for one personally welcome clown face bologna
 
Posts: 2555
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:04 pm
Location: This Forum

Re: Military LEGO Theme(s)?

Postby mercury19 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:34 pm

Colette wrote:
Ben-Jammin wrote:
Gungnir wrote:On the subject of playing war, I couldn't remove my palm from my face for a whole six hours after reading this.http://now.msn.com/toy-gun-exchange-hel ... ary-school


A prime example of the daily happenings in the fucked-up land of California.

Is concurring still a bannable offense?


What is meant by concurring in this instance? can I not agree with someone?
User avatar
mercury19
Minifig
 
Posts: 279
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:56 pm
Location: Probably somewhere in the Brikverse. Oh wait, you mean physically?

Re: Military LEGO Theme(s)?

Postby stubby » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:10 pm

No concurring! It's the forums' earliest rule, right before "No Trying to Make the Thread About Yourself."
User avatar
stubby
forum janitor
 
Posts: 4729
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:31 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Bricks

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest