No votes
PlayStation 4
67%
OUYA
22%

Total votes : 9

Re: Next Generation Consoles

Postby Silverdream » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:47 pm

Grunge and Punk aren't rock. Joan Jett isn't metal, KISS isn't metal (But Paul Stanley's song Live to Win could be considered metal), Guns and Roses isn't metal and Van Halen isn't metal. Rock isn't metal.

As for good recent rock bands, Arcade Fire, Mother Mother, Metric and the Electric Six definitely exist and are all on the top of my head.

Spoiler: show
mgb519 wrote:Seriously, you are now the first ever forum superhero.

Colette wrote:I hereby acknowledge Silverdream as the one and only forum troll as agreed in the bet.

Quantumsurfer wrote:No, I have 2 silver.
Silverdream
Blockguy

Postby samuelzz10 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:21 pm

Silverdream wrote:Grunge and Punk aren't rock. Joan Jett isn't metal, KISS isn't metal (But Paul Stanley's song Live to Win could be considered metal), Guns and Roses isn't metal and Van Halen isn't metal. Rock isn't metal.

As for good recent rock bands, Arcade Fire, Mother Mother, Metric and the Electric Six definitely exist and are all on the top of my head.

Grunge, yeah probably isn't rock, but if you can call Sex Pistols punk, then punk is indeed a rock subgenre. Joan Jett mostly is Stadium rock, and never flows into metal with her own music but on the other hand she has done good covers of songs by hard rock bands, which is basically softer metal. (look on the map of metal,http://mapofmetal.com/#/home) Kiss also isn't primarily metal, but some of their Creatures of the Night tracks could be called metal, back when VInnie Vincent was their guitarist. On the same note, Paranoid, the "defining metal album" barely qualifies as metal, so don't act like it is light years beyond Destroyer or Love Gun. Rock in fact isn't metal, the same way someone isn't their dad and themselves at the same time. They are just related.
my old sig

WARNING: Posts in forum may have been edited by forum
samuelzz10
n00b
n00b

Postby Silverdream » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:25 pm

That still doesn't have anything to do with my main point.

Colette wrote:I hereby acknowledge Silverdream as the one and only forum troll as agreed in the bet.

Silverdream
Blockguy

Postby samuelzz10 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:31 pm

Silverdream wrote:That still doesn't have anything to do with my main point.

I don't see how.
my old sig

samuelzz10
n00b
n00b

Postby Tzan » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:34 pm

Silverdream wrote:Silver corner all the way, even though I don't really play video games and I don't know what it is.

^ that was his point
Tzan
Pooplord

Postby Kalvinator » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:44 pm

So how about them Mudkips?
Kalvinator
in need of one still

Postby mercury19 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:45 pm

Kalvinator wrote:So how about them Mudkips?

I named my first mudkip fin
mercury19
Minifig

Location: Probably somewhere in the Brikverse. Oh wait, you mean physically?

Postby Zupponn » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:56 am

It seems I missed and interesting argument here, so let me pipe in a bit:

samuelzz10 wrote:With no classic rock, there would be no metal.

Wrong. All metal is derived in one way or another from Black Sabbath. All bands that claim to not be influenced by them are not metal. Black Sabbath was an accumulation of many different genres, including Soul, Blues, and Jazz, but not Classic Rock, because they came about before Classic Rock was a thing.
Silverdream wrote:Anyways, the main point of this is that rock is not metal. Rock and roll is not metal. Classic rock is not metal. Metal is metal. Rock is rock. Metal is not rock. They are different things.

Yes and no. Metal is a subgenre of Rock, but Rock is not Metal. Classic Rock is definitely not Metal and neither is Rock and Roll.

samuelzz10 wrote:It would now be more like Kiss, Van Halen, Guns and Roses, and Joan Jett, all of them have at least once flown close to metal if not into metal itself.

Silverdream wrote:Joan Jett isn't metal, KISS isn't metal (But Paul Stanley's song Live to Win could be considered metal), Guns and Roses isn't metal and Van Halen isn't metal.

Technically, Kiss, Van Halen, and Guns N Roses are not metal, but people like to classify them under the Glam Metal category, which, to be fair, they are. To me though, Glam Metal is not Metal although they share the same name. Glam Metal was basically pop music, while bands like Metallica and Slayer carried the torch of real Metal underground until their rise in the early nineties. So, I can see where young Sam got confused here, but adding Joan Jett to that list is a little baffling.
Zupponn
Lovable and funny
Lovable and funny

Postby lorbaat » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:18 am

And through time, Black Sabbath has become Classic Rock.

Discuss.
lorbaat
Minifig

Postby samuelzz10 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:37 am

Zupponn wrote:It seems I missed and interesting argument here, so let me pipe in a bit:

samuelzz10 wrote:With no classic rock, there would be no metal.

Wrong. All metal is derived in one way or another from Black Sabbath. All bands that claim to not be influenced by them are not metal. Black Sabbath was an accumulation of many different genres, including Soul, Blues, and Jazz, but not Classic Rock, because they came about before Classic Rock was a thing.
Silverdream wrote:Anyways, the main point of this is that rock is not metal. Rock and roll is not metal. Classic rock is not metal. Metal is metal. Rock is rock. Metal is not rock. They are different things.

Yes and no. Metal is a subgenre of Rock, but Rock is not Metal. Classic Rock is definitely not Metal and neither is Rock and Roll.

samuelzz10 wrote:It would now be more like Kiss, Van Halen, Guns and Roses, and Joan Jett, all of them have at least once flown close to metal if not into metal itself.

Silverdream wrote:Joan Jett isn't metal, KISS isn't metal (But Paul Stanley's song Live to Win could be considered metal), Guns and Roses isn't metal and Van Halen isn't metal.

Technically, Kiss, Van Halen, and Guns N Roses are not metal, but people like to classify them under the Glam Metal category, which, to be fair, they are. To me though, Glam Metal is not Metal although they share the same name. Glam Metal was basically pop music, while bands like Metallica and Slayer carried the torch of real Metal underground until their rise in the early nineties. So, I can see where young Sam got confused here, but adding Joan Jett to that list is a little baffling.

Like lorrbat said, Black Sabbath in paranoid, and today is classic rock basically. spare me the "DOOM METAL IS DIFFERENT LYRICALLY" BS, you know it to be true. Iommi can't lay down those sweet riffs with no fingers. Glam metal isn't really pop music, besides the fact it is more manufactured in studio but it can still be played in concert unlike most pop acts. Joan Jett, yeah that was pretty dumb, but she does have some songs that are a lot heavier than others. (but still not into metal) Also, judging by how most people on the forum that come and go seem to be only 8-12 years old, I'm one of the older ones here.
my old sig

samuelzz10
n00b
n00b

Postby Silverdream » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:21 am

This thread is no longer entertaining to me. Someone do something.

Silverdream
Blockguy

Postby Tzan » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:28 am

Silverdream wrote:This thread is no longer entertaining to me. Someone do something.

... and then the dinosaur turned to the camera and began singing the entire Happy Birthday song, in German...WITHOUT PAYING ROYALTIES!!!!
Naughty dinosaur.
Tzan
Pooplord

Postby dilanski » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:36 pm

BREAKING NEWS Microsoft is pulling the DRM, all of it. Unconfirmed rumors that the console us being renamed the XBOX 180.
ImageImage
o/
dilanski
Now with added tractor fetish

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain & Subjugated Ireland

Postby Zupponn » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:08 pm

Such a dumb name. Why go less when you can go more? The XBOX 720 sounds like an improvement over the 360 while the 180 sounds like a downgrade.
Zupponn
Lovable and funny
Lovable and funny

Postby Bragallot » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:26 pm

Probably following the dumb principle that 'less is more.' Or they don't wanna hit 4 digits in a couple of years because that will be too difficult for people to cope with.

Or maybe they're just being honest and it is genuinely a downgrade.
Encyclopedia Bragtanica - Fantasy Battles - Scifi Battles - Crimson Crusade
lawmaster wrote:
Bragallot wrote:
lawmaster wrote:Kill the guy I'm in cc with.
He's already dead.
Kill him again.
Bragallot
Blockguy

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion