Tzan wrote:So Will can make a mold at home and inject plastic at home?
Indeed he can! The prototyping process is as follows:
- Will designs the item using CAD software
- Will cuts the design into an aluminum mold using a CNC machine in his garage
- Will injects plastic (ABS and other types) into the mold
- Will pops the newly-created prototype out of the mold
- Will tests the prototypes to make sure they're up to snuff
Once a design is locked and enough have been created to fill a production mold, Will sends the designs to his tooler to have a steel production mold cut. Then it's off to the molder to mass produce the items from that mold.
Still, the quality of Will's prototypes is very, very high, especially given he can inject the molds with ABS plastic (the same kind LEGO uses . . . actually, he usually uses ground-up LEGO bricks as his main source of plastic!).
Hope that helps!
"Every day, once a day, give yourself a present. Don't plan it. Don't wait for it. Just let it happen."