Once Upon a World- Factions- Updated June 14th

Show off your armies and weaponry and stuff.

Moderators: Zahru II, Bragallot, RedRover, Natalya

ikensall
Princess Cauliflower

Once Upon a World- Factions- Updated June 14th

Post by ikensall » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:36 am

Warning: This is rather a long read, patience is recommended, as well as a willingness to waste a small portion of your life reading my -not very well written- armoury thread.

Genre (This is boring, but for some people it seems genres other than space or medivo are rare and unknown)
The genre of this stuff here is difficult to explain, but is probably best defined as a semi-plausible mix of alternative history and retro/dieselpunk. If this was based on reality (even though it really isn't), it would be centred around the 1918-1945 period. Please do not mistake any of the following for post apocalyptic or steampunk stuff.
Spoiler
Show
Lore
In the history of Once Upon a World, there was a Kingdom (yellow colour scheme) in the west and Empire(red colour scheme) in the east (with ocean and other minor factions thrown into the geography too). These two power bases got on well, and were able to maintain superiority over others.

However, the King of the Kingdom (a bit of a tyrant, as you'd expect) was overthrown, and replaced by an Archduke, (with Dukes under him controlling secondary states). The Kingdom became a Commonwealth*(blue colour scheme), and set out to gain supremacy over the Empire. All this is supposed to be a stand-alone back-story, and doesn't really tie in with a brikverse or any of that immortal stuff.
* Nothing to do with the British commonwealth.

Finally, onto some lego...

The Kingdom

After the end of the last King's reign, his forces were disbanded. However, pre-revolution designs are maintained for training purposes, and are often used by private armies.

One such design is the "Slugger" assault gun - which uses a howitzer, and can fire directly (shooting at short ranges over the shoulders of the infantry) or indirectly (shooting at long ranges, with a much higher firing arc, and so is able to fire over buildings). I have some bonus rules for this stuff (although I may or may not post them). - Credit for the sledge-hammer design goes to this guy: http://www.flickr.com/photos/razumikhin/356471576/
I told you they had a yellow colour scheme.

More:
Spoiler
Show
The Slugger is open topped, making it vulnerable to getting shot in the back, but this was the best way I could find to get a crew in there.

Even so, the commander/spotter has to ride shotgun (AKA, desant: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tank_desant).

The gun can elevate quite a lot.

I like the side profile.

Another of the Kingdom's old machines is the "Pugilist" armoured car.
This was a quick build using the left-overs from the Slugger, but I'm still pleased with how it turned out.

A commander can be stuck to the top of the turret (by switching his legs for a 1x2 plate). The hatch fits quite snugly between his back and the grille-plate behind him.

More:
Spoiler
Show
The crew, taken from elsewhere in my collection, and looking rather blurry here.

Rear.

Top, hopefully showing off the greebles.

I took too many pictures...

Side profiles, the Pugilist has two 1" cannons.

There's space inside for a crewman, but only just.
The Brawler tank, designed for holding onto important locations from multiple attackers (hence all the secondary weapons).

Crew. There's a space inside for the driver (left), but you'd have a hard time trying to find a way for the commander to stick to the top of the tank (nowhere to put the hatch), so you just have to imagine he's in the turret.

More:
Spoiler
Show
Greebles!

The Gladiator has two auxilary weapons in the hull, and one in the turret. The driver can either drive, or shoot with the hull cannons.

The gun on the back pivots for ease of shooting innocent civilians.

It's a small tank, my commanders don't need to compensate!

Size comparison.

The Empire

Originally I built these guys so that my main faction could have someone to fight a while back, but now they're integral with the storyline, so yeah, that's why there's only six figs there.

Scouts are useful for infiltrating enemy positions and spotting things to blow up.
Motorbikes are used to give scouts more speed, some dare-devil scouts attempt spotting whilst on the move, which is the reason attributed to a rise in scouts dying from accidents. (Such as collisions with trees, farming machinery and livestock.)

It can steer.

I'm not very good at fielding large amounts of infantry.
One officer and 3 grunts, one of whom is pimped out with some katanas, because I decided they made him look awesome.

The "Giant" tank is designed to support the infantry, it is easily manufactured and crew-ed.
The hull can hold a minifig, although it's quite a tight squeeze.

More:
Spoiler
Show
More side profiles, all tanks should have flags on them.

It took me a while, but you can fit two minifigs on there with a bit of effort.

The Commonwealth

These guys are my original faction, and so are the biggest, with quite a lot of stuff.

This is the "Buzzard" fighter plane, equipped with lots of firepower, and kept in the air by the massive engine.

More:
Spoiler
Show
The Buzzard is my oldest MOC (and the first thing I've built that's half decent). It has plenty of rough edges, although most of them aren't to noticeable, apart from the massive hole behind the propeller.

Like I said, lots of rough edges...

You can tell I built it a while ago, I was more concerned back then about "dakka" than anything else until recently.

Commonwealth scouts are equipped with four wheeled vehicles, and work in teams for protection.
These guys have themselves a car, with goodies like a machine gun and explosives.

Trucking along...

The Commonwealth's infantry follows the pre-revolution trend of being instantly recognisable. This is great for military parades and shows of force against minor uprisings, but doesn't tend to do so well when it's important not to be seen.
However, the Commonwealth makes up for this in numbers, this time there's 4 grunts, a medic, a heavy and an officer, almost twice as much as the Empire

This is the field support team, you saw some of them earlier modelling the Slugger, that handsome chap on the left is Geoff the mechanic, standing by his manly toolbox.
The support team has two field guns, and a crate by the side filled with stuff for taking out armoured vehicles. In the middle is Captain Harey (officer).

More:
Spoiler
Show
Field guns

The gun can pivot, so the minifigs don't have to spend forever turning the thing around.
The "Sentinel" tank is the Commonwealth's standard medium tank. It is designed to be versatile, and was the first armoured vehicle designed after the revolution.

This is a picture of the crew, captained by Colonel Tall-order (in the cape). Predictably, the only time I don't take multiples, the picture comes out blurred.

More:
Spoiler
Show
I took a lots of pictures of this tank, so prepare yourselves.

The minifigures don't fit inside, due to the fact that I used so much S.N.O.T in this build (most of the surfaces you can see are S.N.O.T), so most of what would be the interior was taken up with pieces used for this. Combined with the low profile, you're left with no space for crew.

Like I said, all tanks should have flags.

An earlier model of the Sentinel, it's been fiddled with a lot since then.

=================================================

This is the second instalment of stuff, circa July 21st
Spoiler
Show

Once Upon a World, Part 2- assorted (faction-less) builds.

Starting off with the least violent build, the Red Tractor:

What on earth is a tractor doing in an armoury thread I hear you ask? We'll get to that later.

Now the smallest build, a humble field howitzer. Nonetheless, I still like how it turned out, mostly as it could probably be used to fire over buildings- for which I'm trying to think of some rules- (completely unforeseen destruction yes please).

Bored already? Good.

Not liking the looks you're getting from those rocks over there? Not a problem!
Spoiler
Show

This is where the tractor comes in.

Many cowardly artillery officers complained when they were issued their field-pieces without mechanized transport; what if they needed to make a hasty (cowardly) retreat? A paranoid High Command sensed the potential for desertion a mile off and ignored them, but that didn't stop some gun crews commandeering their own transport.

Modelled by some guys I whipped up for the photoshoot, I think I'll keep them.

Next is an observation balloon, they float around intercepting radio transmissions and... urm... observing.

Don't worry, the pilot gets paid extra for hanging on at 5,000 feet.

I've got some rules pending for how information-interception done by these balloons would function, but they only work for forum battles.

This is the gun truck, I'd give it a proper name, but I think "gun truck" has a certain ring to it.

Modelled by the same minifigs as earlier, none of these builds are tied to a previous faction, this one included.
Spoiler
Show
As advertised, it's a truck with a field-gun in the back (which is a reincarnation of one of the field-guns from the original post), complete with flag.

The gun crew has a door in the right side of the flat-bed, which makes me comfortable that they won't have to jump over the back of the truck to get out (or incur the subsequent risk of crotch-snagging on the exhausts).

The gun pivots, there's room for 2 operators behind the gun, at a pinch.

That lump on the side is a tool bin.

Next is the "Floating Fancy". Piloted by Geoff and Nigel, who customised the "Floating Fancy" as a gun barge over the period of several straight weeks spent in the shed at the bottom of Geoff's garden.

Spoiler
Show
Geoff (left) and Nigel (right), both members of "The Order of the Spanner", a club for retired mechanics.

The rear end is my favourite part of this build, and certainly the most time-consuming to erect.

This is probably the closest I've come to building an "airship" in a while, although I doubt anyone remembers my first attempt.

Fuzzy and pointless picture to show all the hatches, but I took it, and I uploaded it, so I'm damn well posting it.

I like the colour scheme for this build, I managed to use some of the more obscure colours from my collection, and kept all things grey to a minimum (unusually for me).
Next is a fighter plane I put together last week, I realised I was short of planes in my build-selection, so I created: "Fat Bill"

Kindly note the landing gear. For whatever reason, I find it really hard to do landing gear on stuff like this. Oh and yes, that is a tire, I was trying to make it look like the engine cowling of some early world war two planes (i.e the Gloster Gladiator and the Savioa Marchetti SM.79)
Spoiler
Show
Backstory time!
The Viquers-Vicount company set out to create a compact heavy-fighter plane, but after adding large amounts of weight in terms of armour to the already unreliable engine, when they came to install armaments, no more than a lightweight machine gun could be carried, many pilots of the plane rammed their adversaries out of frustration when their machine gun failed to be effective. (Lifted from the description I gave it on the hosting site.)

The plane has two crewmen, 1 pilot and 1 bomber/observer/moral support guy who will sit behind him.

The cockpit, probably my favourite part of the build, because I managed to use an old-style car door as the pilot's seat, and for those of you who can't unsee it, the pilot is about to use his joystick to shoot himself in the neck. The pilot's +1 guy sits behind him facing the other way in that space.

Still proud of that landing gear. Maybe I should stop now.

Perhaps the wings could be a little longer in proportion to the bulk of the plane.

Perhaps it wasn't a great idea to give this thing no more than one machine gun, but I find the idea of aerial units being a case of "fly past and shoot stuff at them" a bit boring, and I'd like to see melee air combat, like ramming and wings being used to "clothes-line" infantry in low-level flight, so hopefully being lightly armed won't make it a light-weight unit.
The Viquers-Vicount company received complaints from various disgruntled buyers claiming that their new aircraft was woefully under-armed, and that the disproportionate losses by collision figures were the result of pilots trying to hack their enemies' faces off with the prop after their single machine gun didn't work. The old aircraft were recalled, and modified, with the aim of better armament and a slightly less stupid look. Despite the fact that it still looked pretty chunky, and the only new weaponry was facing aft, crews concurred Bannable offence! that it was superior to the old plane. Because I'm not rebuilding it again -I've changed as much as I can. I'd have an easier time building a new plane altogether!

So yeah, here's "Fatter Bill":

There, that one probably shows all the changes the best. A new machine gun cupola where the useless crewman used to sit, I changed the tail a bit to give it less stumpy ailerons and the fuselage itself is also 2 studs longer.

The MG cupola, I have the idea in my head that I felt redesigning the plane involved changing a lot more than it really did, probably because I spent most of my time wrestling to get the inner workings back the way they were before I took it apart, instead of spending time altering stuff. But still, MG cupola, all good. (Small continuity error here, the MG should be attached to the plane on a different stud, but whatever.)
Spoiler
Show
Flying past and shooting people in the back, that's how it's done!

I also improved the stumpy wing-fuselage length ratio. The fuselage is 2 studs longer, but the wings are 4 studs wider.

The underside, it's pretty spartan, but it's not like the infantry will notice as it flies over head. After all they have no necks, so it's not like they can look up.

The second crewman now sits precariously high on the plane, but he does at least fit quite snugly in his little perch behind the gun.

ImageImage
Comparison of old (left) and new (right). From which we can conclude that it's basically the same build, I hope you didn't have high expectations.

This is the third instalment of stuff, circa August 9th
Spoiler
Show
Okay then, this is a little micro faction I pulled together (you've seen some of them before modelling stuff), the back-story is that they're mercenaries (I hope you appreciate the hours of thought that took me) and their colour is black. The only real reason I scraped these guys together is because I needed some more figs to man my machines- my fig: creation ratio was way too low and even with some new figs, I wouldn't be able to field a suitable amount of figs for a Brikwar if I wanted to use all my creations at the same time.

Here they are (commander in black, sniper/anti-tank rifleman on the left end), I took these pictures in a stupid place with crap lighting, so get ready for some grimdark style lighting for the rest of this mini update.

These guys are the would-be users of many of the builds in the last update, but I thought that they could use their own proper build.
Now for something a bit more interesting, I wanted to build something unusual, so...

I built them a DethSledge Aerosani, I've no idea what relevance a snow sledge would be in a brikwar, but it looks pretty enough, and I fulfilled my two aims:
6. Make something that moves (surprisingly difficult given the fact I've all but run out of wheels/ tracks for things that move; overcome with the skis!)
7. Make something with a disproportionately large propeller/ power unit strapped on the back.
Spoiler
Show

Cockpit shot, probably one of the best framed photographs I've ever taken.

The massive rear end somehow doesn't overbalance the whole thing, although it just about balances on the middle pair of skis.

This is the fourth instalment of stuff, circa September the 6th
Spoiler
Show
I finally found time for taking some pictures of the new tank, the lighting is better than the last update but still not ideal (nimbostratus problems), despite turning on ALL THE LIGHTS. All two of them. So, I hereby present the "Citadel" heavy tank, commissioned for the Yellow Kingdom's armoured force after the king decided he wanted "Something big, yellow and scary." (I've already shown this too one or two people in brikwiki-chat, but not nearly as extensively...)

Picture spam:
Spoiler
Show
Note the secondary gun on the hull sponson.

My excuse for this crappy picture is that I was focusing the camera on the wall. :?

Every armoured killing machine is better with a backpack strapped on somewhere. (Makes the detail clusterfuck 20% cooler.)

The lighting begins to worsen here :cry: . The doors you can just about see on the engine deck (they're actually horizontal shutters) open, but there's nothing much inside; I could try making an interior in the hull (but not in the turret) but I prefer having it filled with cross-bar pieces for strength and durability.

Crappy picture to show how the commander can sit on the turret with the hatch wedged between his back and the plate 1 stud behind him (as with the pugilist). Oh, and I count the gun as equivalent to 6", because it's 2" long, but it would just feel wrong to have a gun that fires projectiles (almost) as wide as a minifig's leg is long which was classed as a 2" weapon.

Minifig for scale; the Citadel isn't particularly long, but it is high (about 2.5-3 figs on top of each other).

More mifig for more scale.
ImageRawr! by ikensall, on Flickr
Look busy, Jesus The Citadel is coming!

This is the fifth instalment of stuff, circa October the 23rd
Spoiler
Show
So, I'm out of prison school for a two-week half term, and I thought I'd get the compulsory lego build out of the way so I could do some work with a clear conscience.

The Lancet Armed Logistics Shuttle, lifted by gas, with capacious cargo hold and curves designed to impress, fit for all your pizza delivery needs in dangerous theatres of combat. I wanted another floating air-platform, similar to the Floating Fancy, and this is what I ended up with...
Spoiler
Show
This is the longest thing I've built so far, it's not like my pilots need to compensate, it's just that I prefer them to feel well equipped.

Here you can see the cargo hold, there's a deceptive amount of room in the interior of the craft, I could probably fit 3 extra figs in there, with space left over.
The fact that I went for castle wall corner pieces to make the bottom of the hull means that there's a smooth surface inside, so less space is wasted.

]Image
I did two takes of this picture, this one is pretty dark, but the other one is almost painfully bright (the sun came out).

This one is just dark. The Lancet gets two forward facing cannons, I'd probably put guys with guns on the deck for better protection, but I like the aesthetics fine without some kind of rear facing structural emplacement.

Because gas is used to lift the craft, rather than vertical props, propellers are only required for horizontal motion and so are smaller than usual. :twss:

This build is actually pretty stable, all the different parts are connected to each other with solid links, so you tend to get not all that many bits and pieces just dropping off in your hands.

As ever the Lancet comes with the compulsory flag, never build anything that cannot mount a flag, aircraft or not.

There's a lot of flat deck space on this thing, perfect for stowing your cargo of milk churns, or doing a slow flyover with some machine gun teams on top.

This is the 6th miniupdate, circa March 27th
Spoiler
Show
Policemen need armour too, in the form of the Zephyr Armoured Patrol Car, modelled here by the policemen of Graphen Province...

The Graphen Police Department ordered several of Zephyr armoured cars as tensions between the civillians and the loval police force heightened. Already infamous for their use of molotov cocktails to dispell crowds, the appearance of Zephyrs in police livery only worsened the reputation of Graphen Five-0.

Neighbourhood Watch gets an upgrade. This car is the same size as my Citadel tank, eek.

Got bored of the medic and the heavy (medics are for dead people, and the heavy looked stupid), so I turned them into a creepy machine-gun team.

I also fiddled with the Brawler, most notably to add an overhead railing thingy (I don't even know what it's for ~radio antennae apparently~, but it looked cool on the Sd.Kfz. 232 and here.)
Update 7, June 14th :
Spoiler
Show
So, I got bored with my old Citadel Heavy tank. It wasn't as "clean" as I would've liked. So I decided to build a different bigyellowtank on the suspension.

Now I don't have the tracks to make anything I could call a "Super Death Tank" or a "Super Heavy Death Tank" without the inch lawyers bitching about the thing lacking a few inches Hurrrrr (Collette, I'm looking right at you, wherever you are, I'm looking straight at you right now, okay.)

So, I decided I'd try something different. The Kingdom of Yellow (or whatever I called it two years ago) presents the Siege Tank Mk1; the "Tor".

(Now featuring Valiant's backpack storage method and this sledgehammer build: https://www.flickr.com/photos/razumikhin/356471576/ )

Dominating your monitor the way it's gonna dominate your fortress. :bitch:

I had to tear up the Slugger assault gun to get the yellow, but I'm okay with that, because the slugger was getting dated and I can have a go at a new build with the wheels. I used some of the other parts to update the Pugilist armoured car, which I'm quite happy with (so more pics coming soon).

Dat ass though.

More fun inside...
Spoiler
Show

Thanks for reading, your comments/criticisms are welcome.
Last edited by ikensall on Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:36 pm, edited 19 times in total.

Theblackdog
Pooplord

Re: Once Upon a World- Factions

Post by Theblackdog » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:52 am

Awesome looking units, especially the Slugger and fighter plane. The infantry are really well designed too, I like the mix of melee and ranged weapons.

Bragallot
MULTIPLE, SIMULTANEOUS AND DEVASTATING DEFENSIVE DEEP STRIKES!!!

Post by Bragallot » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:31 am

Incredibly badass stuff.
Fantasy battles - Scifi battles
Kommander Ken wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:04 pm
Wtf is this thread?

Zupponn
if you give us money we will give you product

Post by Zupponn » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:36 am

The Slugger looks awesome, but then again, so does everything else here.

Lord Mercat
Minifig

Post by Lord Mercat » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:57 am

This is totally awesome. Everything here is well designed and thought out. I especially love the "giant" tank, it reminds me of the tanks from Metal Slug.

Also, that is an ingenious hammer design on the side of the slugger there:
ikensall wrote:Image
Semaj Nagirrac wrote:My hot wife and I were about to get a divorce until we saw your army. You have saved our marriage and won our allegiance.
Marriages Saved: 1

ikensall
Princess Cauliflower

Post by ikensall » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:34 pm

I'm glad you guys like this stuff (your appreciation is appreciated, as it were). At the moment, I still have one last build to put up for the Kingdom (it's very yellow).

@Mr Mercat; The hammer design was lifted from here : http://www.flickr.com/photos/razumikhin/356471576/ - (top post amended accordingly)

Here's some pictures that didn't get in the main post that show how the driver of the giant gets inside:
Spoiler
Show

The stud on the minifig's head has to fit in the space in the plate...

Grumpy for a reason.

ikensall
Princess Cauliflower

Post by ikensall » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:57 pm

Updated with this:

Another of the Kingdom's old machines is the "Pugilist" armoured car.
This was a quick build using the left-overs from the Slugger, but I'm still pleased with how it turned out.

A commander can be stuck to the top of the turret (by switching his legs for a 1x2 plate). The hatch fits quite snugly between his back and the grille-plate behind him.

More:
Spoiler
Show
The crew, taken from elsewhere in my collection, and looking rather blurry here.

Rear.

Top, hopefully showing off the greebles.

I took too many pictures...

Side profiles, the Pugilist has two 1" cannons.

There's space inside for a crewman, but only just.

The Shadowscythe
Touch my cloud song and I will fuck you up
Touch my cloud song and I will fuck you up
Location: Llandysul, Ceredigion, Wales, U.K, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe.

Post by The Shadowscythe » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:08 pm

Okay, that Pugilist is both adorable and awesome - consider it henceforth the winner of this thread until I notify you of otherwise. :studgod:
-- WARNINK -- LINK BELOW IZ KNOWN TO CAUZE HEMMORAGE --
Spoiler
Show

I WARNED YOU, DIDN'T I WARN YOU?! BLAME RAYHAWK DAMNIT.

Zupponn

Post by Zupponn » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:30 pm

Building with a very limited brik pool usually turns out pretty awesome if only because of the creativity required.

Silverdream
Nice use of noise

Post by Silverdream » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:57 pm

That pugilist looks like it's straight out of a Studio Ghibli film. In other words, awesome.
This sig is too fucking large: show anyway
Image lol j/k

ikensall
Princess Cauliflower

Post by ikensall » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:14 am

Thanks guys, I like the appeal that Studio Ghibli's creations have, and I like it when my stuff comes out a bit like that. That's all for now, but if I can find the time I'd like to build another tank for the Empire (or the Kingdom, if I can't find the grey)- using stuff like this as inspiration :
Spoiler
Show
New Years Resolution by ABS doohickies, on Flickr
This guy has a pretty good flickr stream, worth checking out if you have the time.
Also: I won my thread, which is good!

BFenix
Pooplord

Post by BFenix » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:44 pm

The Buzzer and the Pugilist are winners, but overall, very well built stuff!

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:52 pm

Very neat designs.

Kalvinator
in need of one still

Post by Kalvinator » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:26 am

I love all of this stuff, it's incredible. The Sentinel is probably my favorite, either that of the field guns are really good looking, I may have to use them sometime.

ikensall
Princess Cauliflower

Post by ikensall » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:32 am

Updated once more, this will probably be it for a while, as I'm returning to school soon.
This is what happens when I build a big turret and realise I can't really build a big enough hull for it.
Inspiration:
Spoiler
Show
Untitled by Lemon_Boy, on Flickr
I tried to use aspects of these.

spice route raider by Lemon_Boy, on Flickr
Uses this turret design, it's probably widespread, but this guy is where I found it first.
The Brawler tank, designed for holding onto important locations from multiple attackers (hence all the secondary weapons).

Crew. There's a space inside for the driver (left), but you'd have a hard time trying to find a way for the commander to stick to the top of the tank (nowhere to put the hatch), so you just have to imagine he's in the turret.

More:
Spoiler
Show
Greebles!

The Gladiator has two auxilary weapons in the hull, and one in the turret. The driver can either drive, or shoot with the hull cannons.

The gun on the back pivots for ease of use shooting innocent civilians.

It's a small tank, my commanders don't need to compensate!

Size comparison.
You still want more? Luckily I took too many pictures! It's just that most of them are showing the same thing.
Spoiler
Show

Last edited by ikensall on Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:58 am, edited 2 times in total.