30th CMEF Microscale Colony

Show off your armies and weaponry and stuff.

Moderators: Zahru II, Bragallot, RedRover, Natalya

halo 3000
I though bringing it up might possibly get me one

30th CMEF Microscale Colony

Post by halo 3000 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:57 pm

Hey guys. As much as I enjoyed building the Microscale colony for my Mjolnir Coalition fluff thread, I decided to make another. This time for the 30th company of the Coalition Marine Expeditionary Force, who may or may not have been completely wiped out by some Thing.

Colonies like this one are often formed around cracks in the ice so researchers can easily explore the cavernous ravines, hoping to find something of worth frozen in the ice.

I'd like to make rules for a wargame of this scale. I do thoroughly enjoy Microscale.
"My name is Art Vandelay. I'm an architect."~George Costanza

Kastrenzo
all I have is anthrax and rage
all I have is anthrax and rage

Re: 30th CMEF Microscale Colony

Post by Kastrenzo » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:00 am

These things kind of remind me of some lego starcraft spoof video I saw once.
Faction Index - Flickr Gallery

You can't ride a scooter when you're drunk and 9 years old.

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:14 am

These are very cool. I'd love to see whatever you come up with.

Bragallot
MULTIPLE, SIMULTANEOUS AND DEVASTATING DEFENSIVE DEEP STRIKES!!!

Post by Bragallot » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:18 am

Kastrenzo wrote:These things kind of remind me of some lego starcraft spoof video I saw once.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zx_0jAdjZ_Q
Fantasy battles - Scifi battles
Kommander Ken wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:04 pm
Wtf is this thread?

cleanupcrew
Catastrophe Magnet

Post by cleanupcrew » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:35 pm

halo 3000 wrote:I'd like to make rules for a wargame of this scale. I do thoroughly enjoy Microscale.
Yes, please. My non-space Angels are begging for battle.

halo 3000

Post by halo 3000 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:28 pm

Colette wrote:
halo 3000 wrote:I'd like to make rules for a wargame of this scale. I do thoroughly enjoy Microscale.
D you have some pictures of them? If so I'd like to see them.
Kastrenzo wrote:These things kind of remind me of some lego starcraft spoof video I saw once.
Ah yes, I've seen that.
Quantumsurfer wrote:These are very cool. I'd love to see whatever you come up with.
Thanks man! I'd like to do something RTS style, but I feel like that would be hard to do.

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:00 pm

Yeah, its been thrown around here somewhere. Someone mentioned resource gathering and the like pretty recently, I think. Don't know what came of that. Would be difficult to do.

You like Warhammer. Maybe Dawn of War would be a decent inspiration. Requisition based on obtaining strategic objectives instead of outright resource gathering? Has potential.

cleanupcrew
Catastrophe Magnet

Post by cleanupcrew » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:35 pm

halo 3000 wrote:
Colette wrote:
D you have some pictures of them? If so I'd like to see them...
Linkie: http://www.brikwars.com/forums/viewtopi ... 31&t=11343

halo 3000

Post by halo 3000 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:02 pm

Oh, wow. Some of those are pretty creepy. Especially Sahaquiel. I think our scales are a little different though. in this scale a minifig as around an eighth of stud. its supposed to be the same scale as this.
Quantumsurfer wrote:Yeah, its been thrown around here somewhere. Someone mentioned resource gathering and the like pretty recently, I think. Don't know what came of that. Would be difficult to do.

You like Warhammer. Maybe Dawn of War would be a decent inspiration. Requisition based on obtaining strategic objectives instead of outright resource gathering? Has potential.
Here's an idea. Resource points all around the board. you have to build some kind of structure on it to get the resources. each one would be worth, I don't know, +2 or something like that so if you have 3 resource points, then you are bringing in 6 resources each turn. you can then save them up to build something big or build a bunch of small tanks with them.

I think its possible, it just might take a while to play a turn.

cleanupcrew
Catastrophe Magnet

Post by cleanupcrew » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:08 pm

halo 3000 wrote:
Oh, wow. Some of those are pretty creepy. Especially Sahaquiel. I think our scales are a little different though. in this scale a minifig as around an eighth of stud. its supposed to be the same scale as this.
At my microscale one stud is equivalent to eight and two ninths studs in fig scale, as measured by a comparison between the fig-scale and microscale models of my Trattorian frigate and Natalya's destroyer.

If you built to Tahthing's scale it may be approximate enough for your models to fit in Scythe scale.

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:32 pm

Mm, yeah, you'd need to define and build several things ahead of time. Like how many Resource points are available total on the map. Available buildings would need to be limited to tech trees. So let's say I drop an outpost on a resource node, gaining +2R. Then I save up and buy the Level 2 Outpost Upgrade and now that node provides +3R. Then I save up some more and buy the top tier Level 3 Outpost Upgrade and the node provides +4R. If you were to also limit the number of turns you could calculate how many total resource a given map would yield in a given game. Knowing that number, players could plan for the best scenario and bring enough reserve units to field immediately (without having to build them on the spot). Another way to control this is to limit the total number of units as well as the total number of buildings and upgrades.

The Shadowscythe
Touch my cloud song and I will fuck you up
Touch my cloud song and I will fuck you up
Location: Llandysul, Ceredigion, Wales, U.K, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe.

Post by The Shadowscythe » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:28 am

Colette wrote:
halo 3000 wrote:
At my microscale one stud is equivalent to eight and two ninths studs in fig scale, as measured by a comparison between the fig-scale and microscale models of my Trattorian frigate and Natalya's destroyer.

If you built to Tahthing's scale it may be approximate enough for your models to fit in Scythe scale.
My own scale isn't actually set to a minifig to stud ratio - I simply based it off of a natural progression of what a vehicles size should be.

For instance, a fighter is almost always a stud sized craft, bombers and other small craft about the same.

Corvettes are usually a four stud affair - same with gunboats and the like.

Frigates? 6 to 9 studs depending.

Destroyers are 10 to 14 studs.

Battleships/cruisers and other true capitol ships? the size rests with how imposing you want the vessel to be - My ship designs, Dilanski's ship designs, Warheads ship designs and a few others rest in "steched" hull sizes - long sleek ships bristled with weapons. Others are of varying shapes and size - I have seen 9 stud long "dreadnaughts" and 3 meter long "dreadnaughts" all and the same so having a uniform stud to fig scale is kind of moot.

In practice? go with what feels right, and if scales are utterly incompatible then work out a way to make them fit - I had to do this myself when I built Natalya's SONKS in micro as everyone elses scales where smaller than my own and didn't do the vessel justice. In building up from there I found an acceptable length for Cruiser, Battleship and Carrier class vessels.

In the future I may do this with other forum members micro stuff - In particular Brag's stuff could do with a significant size upgrade to match with my own, and I could do with a challenge.

:studgod:
-- WARNINK -- LINK BELOW IZ KNOWN TO CAUZE HEMMORAGE --
Spoiler
Show

I WARNED YOU, DIDN'T I WARN YOU?! BLAME RAYHAWK DAMNIT.